Discuss your not going to believe this one. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
i was a bit short of work this week so i took on some subbing work with another tiler , 80m2 lime stone floor, frst time i met the guy was this morning when i turn up to help him.

he started the job on friday so floor was covered in ditra and about 10m2 allready laid, now this guy was giving the big i am the best, i can fit 30m2 stone a day,and hes rushing around slaping tiles down with not much care, while i'm just ploding along at my own pace and making sure it looks nice.

then notice a blue band going round the outside of the floor, has this floor got under floor heating, yes he said,the screed was pumped in over it, so its a gyvlon screed then, er whats that he said, a gyvlon screed i said you have to sand it and prime it , what with p.v.a he said :mad2: cut along story short its an 80m2 limestone floor, 65mm gyvlon screed thats been down a month, no sanding or pimer used and the under floor heating hasn't been comissioned.

i was supposed to be doing 3 days for him this week but i told him i wouldn't be back, hes now bricking it, worried the floors going to fail and he supplied it all to ,all the stone, addy the lot, i feel sorry for the client, theres another dilema should i grass him or keep out of it.

Last edited:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
If it was your floor andy you'd want to know. I know what your saying about keeping your nose out but this will only end in disaster, we read about them all the time on here. Can it not be removed as far as it's gone so far and be corrected?

half the floors was done before i notice something didn't add up, thing is you would think a guy that takes this size job on would know what hes doing.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Damn that's a tricky one. I'd fess up but as said above by Stew (and I didn't think of it before I read it so don't want credit) I guess you have to give the guy a chance to correct it, and / or tell the customer himself. I would imagine the type of guy would come up with some bull story as to why its fine to the customer though, more than he'd be willing to fess up himself.

Mate, you don't want to risk not getting paid. Perhaps do it after the job. This guy is NOT going to repair the floor at his cost. And you telling the customer now will stop the job, stop him getting paid (even if he was a sound guy and would pay you anyway for letting you down - which I don't think he is by the sounds of it) which stops you getting paid.

Tell him it's wrong - you've done your bit - if he says tile it, tile it. Get paid, you both go your own ways. And then you forget and he gets issues or you tell the customer and ge well involved in it all. Which you don't want.

After thinking again. I'm sticking with my last opinion there. Tell him not the customer. And do the job if he says do it. I'd not even leave a card anywhere around. You don't want to go to that job again. Get paid mate. Get bloody paid.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Damn that's a tricky one. I'd fess up but as said above by Stew (and I didn't think of it before I read it so don't want credit) I guess you have to give the guy a chance to correct it, and / or tell the customer himself. I would imagine the type of guy would come up with some bull story as to why its fine to the customer though, more than he'd be willing to fess up himself.

Mate, you don't want to risk not getting paid. Perhaps do it after the job. This guy is NOT going to repair the floor at his cost. And you telling the customer now will stop the job, stop him getting paid (even if he was a sound guy and would pay you anyway for letting you down - which I don't think he is by the sounds of it) which stops you getting paid.

Tell him it's wrong - you've done your bit - if he says tile it, tile it. Get paid, you both go your own ways. And then you forget and he gets issues or you tell the customer and ge well involved in it all. Which you don't want.

After thinking again. I'm sticking with my last opinion there. Tell him not the customer. And do the job if he says do it. I'd not even leave a card anywhere around. You don't want to go to that job again. Get paid mate. Get bloody paid.

he only ows me for today, which i'm picking up tomorrow, told him i wouldn't do any more on the job, dont like the fact my sign written vans outside.

U

user123

Boy oh Boy... I don't know enough about the subject, but I can imagine the quandry you're in... I think if I was you I would tell the customer that you have decided not to continue working there as the work is not to the required standard in your opinion. If they ask you to explain or why, tell them you would prefer if they asked the ma responsible and stick to that. That way they have a warning but the fellow in question has a chance to correct either the work or the price he charges or whatever... it's between them then, where it should be. But if you don't say anything you are kind of supporting that kind of shoddy work by non-action?

Reply to your not going to believe this one. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Andy Allen

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Gloucester

Thread Information

Title
your not going to believe this one.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.