UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss A big flooring problem! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Really interesting thread but have i missed something what was the outcome its like the last episode of LOST

Hi Keith, yes it did kind of fizzle out:lol: I have used the new Dural mat, and am just about to use the new G mat from Genesis. It seems there was a problem with the old mats, and quite a few people have had failures:thumbsdown:.

B

bootsmckiber

do you know if tiler back skimmed/buttered the tiles as well as spreading adhesive on the ditra?

With slate being porous it usually sucks up the moisture out of the thinset (At least this is what I find)so many(many)years ago I took to the practice of buttering all natural stone tiles and have not had a problem since,I've been called out to check on other jobs why stone is sounding hollow and some coming loose and after turning over the tile it is obvious the tile wasn't buttered as there was maybe just a few lines of thinset holding it down,which after a few months,weeks even it would come loose,have a second tiler or distributor look at your tile and get his opinion,but this sounds exactly like what I experienced some 25 years ago,if that's the case,it's the tilers fault,especially with 30 years under his belt,Good luck,Mike

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

New G-mat!! ?

Not sure Dave, I start a job on monday with it. Getting it from CTD, so I will let you know, don't think it can be the same as Dural for legal reasons. Only a guess
:thumbsup:

Yep new G mat looks just the same as new Dural ci+, just a different colour, same squares and circles. Sorry the pics are not very good.

Attachments

• gm1.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 39
  • gm2.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 39
  • gm3.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
never used matting before.
ive got a bigish slate floor to do shortly,mostly new concrete but where they have knocked through it goes onto ply,would you recommend this matting(i may have to SLC the ply to get the right height,can't remember i aint been for a few weeks since plastering it out)or would a expantion joint do the trick?

ps,i jumped up and down on the ply floor,its solid as,no deflection;)

S

Stewart

never used matting before.
ive got a bigish slate floor to do shortly,mostly new concrete but where they have knocked through it goes onto ply,would you recommend this matting(i may have to SLC the ply to get the right height,can't remember i aint been for a few weeks since plastering it out)or would a expantion joint do the trick?

ps,i jumped up and down on the ply floor,its solid as,no deflection;)

I would defo put an expansion joint between the two substrates, but if there is no underfloor heating, then why not use backer board on the timber floor to bring it up to level....

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I would defo put an expansion joint between the two substrates, but if there is no underfloor heating, then why not use backer board on the timber floor to bring it up to level....

i can't remember the thickness or which way it went,its been a few weeks since i was there and with my brain each job rolls into one ;)so not sure if the concrete is high or the ply,would want the ply to be low,so i could either SLC it or board it,depending on thicknessi don't want to slate onto ply,im not a great fan of ply

i was going to put a expantion joint in stewart,but ive never used matting before,ive heard good things and bad things on here about it so was just wondering,but would rather not do it cos of the price of it
cheers mate

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Half the price !! JUST AS GOOD !! Schluter would like you to believe that their product is the best, it may have been the first,but things move on.DURAL for example,the director Gerrard has been in the industry for many years and had worked for Schluter,Genesis and many others.You are in no way getting an inferior product..... just a different colour and slightly different indents.
This is why Schluter have had to reduce the price of their matting.They no longer have the monopoly.There are some similar that I would not use, mainly due to cost and also adhesive useage filling holes, but Dural is top notch.
Buy direct it will save you a fortune.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have a guess it was the old matting and the fleece has come away from the plastic, it happened to me on a few jobs. Dural came out drilled holes in grout and injected with resin it solved the problem.
Dural were also supplying porcelanosa with it but blue and l had a couple of failures aswell. The dural rep said we have stopped repairing now. As we have over a million m2s to fix and it will bankrupt us. Hence porcelanosa have designed there own and it's awesome no where in the make up of it to fail. I only use that or kerrakol hydro build.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I would have a guess it was the old matting and the fleece has come away from the plastic, it happened to me on a few jobs. Dural came out drilled holes in grout and injected with resin it solved the problem.
Dural were also supplying porcelanosa with it but blue and l had a couple of failures aswell. The dural rep said we have stopped repairing now. As we have over a million m2s to fix and it will bankrupt us. Hence porcelanosa have designed there own and it's awesome no where in the make up of it to fail. I only use that or kerrakol hydro build.
Sorry mate this is my fault. It's a really old thread and without a doubt sorted now. I've been pulling up some of the older longish threads the past few days.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A big flooring problem! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.