Discuss Advice please. Tiles not flat. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

If you are unsure of how to approach the builder about this problem then just get a proper tiler in to rectify it and take the money from whatever you owe the builder. Personally I would stop him from doing anymore work as he clearly has no regard to the finish.
Why should you have to put up with this mess? Its his problem so get him to sort asap.

Builders!! dont you just love them..........:mad2::mad2:

K

Knackered Knees

Very poor,I must say. The only way to fix sadly, is pull them off and start over.

They should look like this in the pic below. Although these are 600x100 'rectified edge' tiles' but you get the idea of the quality to expect.

Attachments

• 600x100 rectified edge.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 103
C

Colour Republic

Lets not all shoot the builder just yet! He hasn't even been told the client is unhappy yet and may well hold his hands up and do everything in his power to rectify the mistake.

It sounds like it was tiled in poor light and may have looked 'ok' before the lights were installed, that is no excuse for poor workmanship and it needs to be rectified. But people make mistakes all the time, it's not the mistake itself, it's the way you deal with them that shows someones worth.

The OP knows the tiling isn't acceptable and needs to be addressed, lets see how the builder reacts before we go calling for his head and calling him a cowboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

Lets not all shoot the builder just yet! He hasn't even been told the client is unhappy yet and may well hold his hands up and do everything in his power to rectify the mistake.
It sounds like it was tiled in poor light and may have looked 'ok' before the lights were installed, that is no excuse for poor workmanship and it needs to be rectified. People make mistakes all the time, it's not the mistake itself, it's the way you deal with them that shows someones worth.
The OP knows the tiling isn't acceptable and needs to be addressed, lets see how the builder reacts before we going calling for his head and calling him a cowboy.
darn good point colour:thumbsup:

i may of been a bit hard on him

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

It sounds like it was tiled in poor light and may have looked 'ok' before the lights were installed, that is no excuse for poor workmanship and it needs to be rectified. But people make mistakes all the time, it's not the mistake itself, it's the way you deal with them that shows someones worth.

The OP knows the tiling isn't acceptable and needs to be addressed, lets see how the builder reacts before we go calling for his head and calling him a cowboy.

I dont agree with you Rob, the builder did it, he is not a tiler but thought he would do it anyway. He would have known it was wrong long before he finished and if he didn't then maybe he needs to go back to building school?

C

Colour Republic

I'm not justifing it in the slightest!!! It's not acceptable and he'll have to sort it out at his own cost.

All i'm saying is he obviously made a mistake. He must of thought he was good enough.. turns out he's not. If he tries to defend it or say it's acceptable then fair enough, throw him to the wolves but at least give someone the benefit of doubt and see how they deal with it before suggesting he's a rogue.

Who knows maybe he already knows it's terrible and is making plans to rectify.

The OP has already stated they like their builder so he must be doing something right, it just turns out he's a crap tiler

C

Cutiecat

Just a quick update. Architect came over this morning and was a total wet blanket. He was talking to the builder when i got back from the school run and said, 'so what is your problem with the tiles?' i suggested we went and looked. He then just asked me to point out what i was unhaopy with, which is what i did but i thought the idea was he was going to pass his professional eye over it. It was agreed that the section should come down and be retiled but i thought the whole lot should come down. It was a total waste of time the architect coming out. The builder told me later i should have just spoken to him. It is the architects job to snag the work and this was an urgent snag in my opinion. Not to get me to stand in there and point out the glaring problems.

Oh dear rant over. I did mention i am very pregnant didn't i. If it is still not up to scratch (i will post pictures) then he is going to have to demand the wall is redone, though builder being amiable about it so far. I hasten to add that the chap doing the work is not a tiler. I hear you all gasp, i know. Why not get a proper tiler in to sort it out.

Must got to bed now. Lots of kiddies to sort out in the morning. Thanks for listening.

Reply to Advice please. Tiles not flat. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Advice please. Tiles not flat.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.