Discuss An awkward, embaressing plea. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Oh i will John.
I'm in two minds wether to highlight the issues before i start the rest or not. What do you think? I don't want to burn my bridges but don't want to be tarred with the same brush also.

Ali ... let it be.. do your bit and get paid.. who cares what the other guy does as long as yours is good :).. if it gets picked up , then you might get the work anyway..

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Nope don't point them out, but explain to the builder that you will be:-

1) Priming the floor for this reason

2) You will be putting expansion joints in for this reason

He's likely to say that it wasn't done in the first 50m. And you can reply "I noticed that but it should have been done, now it'll only need half of it repairing rather than the whole lot!"

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
True enough. Most of what he's done is covered up. But the kitchen fitters have said it's not pretty. Not that they're tilers, they said they don't touch tiling. But their kitchen fit is top top notch.

I think i'm gonna do what i'm told, make sure the hallway is spot on. Hopefully the difference in mine and his work will be evident and i'll get a builder that pushes regular work my way which is what i need. Might even get the kitchen fitters interested as well. They've already taken a few cards from me after seeing me fitting skirting of all things. But i impressed him by scribbing my corners rather than 45'ing and corking over the gaps.

If a jobs worth doing and all that.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I have most on site now Bri mate. Just need to try and get my wetbed saw there, as the tiles won't fit on my bridge. Pretty much got the bare essentials to get the job done.

It's now more the other stuff he's giving me to do. The engineered flooring and skirting was a pain using other peoples blunt saws etc. I just hate not being able to open my own boxes and pull the tools i'm used to.

S

Stef

Ali, I got out from HMP & went to work with fitters from Porcelanosa the following week.
I was honest with them from the start about where I had been & they respected me for that.
I knew they would find out as it was all the boys I had worked with for over 3 years that were on the job..
I always believe that honesty is the best policy & it's always stood me in good stead.
Chin up m8....

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Ajax, that would be awesome! As many contacts as i can get, as much work as i can get.

Robson, and everyone else for that matter thank you so much for your support. It really really means a lot.

You know it's funny this old internet business. I've had more understanding and help from you guys in here than i have from people that have known me years.
It's shocking how a few (what do i call them other than lies) rumours? fables? BS! really doesn't matter, sling enough mud and some will start to stick regardless you know. This bloke has almost destroyed my life. Got a long slog to get it all back which i will do. I've never been afraid of hard work.

Sorry i'm going to start rambling, i'll stop now. I'm just a little pi$$ed as some of my longest standing friends have actually turned on me. People that have known me since i started in primary school. Little annoyed.

Thanks again guys. Yes any contacts would be ace!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hiya guys and girls,

Just thought i'd check in with an update.

My personal life is still very much a mess. But after two weeks in i managed to land plenty of work with the builder i've mentioned previously. Not done any tiling though, his other guy is still doing the floor. Kinda glad though, really don't want to put my name to it. I keep trying to get sneaky pictures to post in here but the site is just too busy. But apart from zero prep on the substrate as far as priming, de-coup, he's using 2mm spacing, dry cutting on his wetsaw the porcelain so all cuts are chipped to hell, round a couple of doors he's cut a tile in half after cutting the shape and placed two pieces in together leaving a clear join that stands out like a sore thumb. The list is endless! But the lastest was in the last 10sqm he had to do in the hallway. He was insistant that he would get over the 30mm hump left behind when a wall was removed. Two different areas of floor have clear difference in levels. Well after no being able to do it he broke out a huge amount leaving a big hole some 60mm+ deep. Filled it with SPF and tiled straight over the top.
Left him on site yesterday at 6pm trying to finish off. But the adhesive under those tiles must be close to 3" thick including what he's filled the big hole he made with.
The builders had me doing all the joinery work the week. Now on to hanging 19 internal doors, 1 external door, 3 sets of french doors and all the skirting and finishing joinery. It's been quite fun actually, a change from the usual.

Anyway, i'm still well up for any work or anything that's on offer. Still not able to go home yet so just been working as much as i can to provide some money for my partner and boys. Just about to head out to a small bathroom fit (1 out 1 in) and splashback tiling. Going to get that done hopefully by Sunday night because i'm back at the site Monday morning.

I have my Tapatalk if anyone needs labour or can use me in the near and distant future don't hesitate to contact me. Haven't sold the car so will be getting back on the road Monday so will have wheels again rather than borrowing motors from friends.

Take care all.

A

Aston

hi ali
just read this and i am sorry to hear about your current predicament.

just keep going mate and you'll get through it. **** what anybody thinks about you in this world except the people that care about you..keep going mate because its only when things go wrong in your life that you really grow and find out what you are made of. anybody can look good when you are doing well but if you can fight when things are tough, then you'll be fine ...

what does'nt kill you makes you stronger and all that ;0)

ed

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to An awkward, embaressing plea. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Good Evening Folks. I'm going to post a few pictures & would like to hear some feedback from...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Hi All, It's my first post here. I'm currently working on a wetroom in my flat and would love to...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB