Discuss any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

sparkle333

hes come and had a look today shook his head and said wot the hell has she done lol

I checked all his pics and happy with what I saw, seemed a nice guy, nice eye candy too oops that always helps lol

I have agreed to let him do the work, we have come to a compromise on some things due to me not having enough money to have the whole lot done, I didn't realise my stud wall would be completely ruined too before I accepted her offer, hes charging me £20 less than she did for the tiling and including the adhesive and grout in that for me.

hes starting tues to prep all walls floors, remove tiles etc ,that's all extra

money is my big problem as I only had x amount to do this, so I cant afford to do the whole lot but hes going to do 3 walls for me and leave the best one that's in shower cubicle that's not so noticeable, this was my decision

he also said I don't need so much heating mat as some is going under edge of bath and just put it in centre as it spreads across ceramic tiles ok, that should save me money to buy mat and costs to run it

ill try and get some pics on here when its done the following wk, might need a hand though, thx for everyones contribution

I had a local camp site who have put big jobs my way for the last 4 years, cancel this years work at the last minute. That was 2 weeks work. A builder who I was due to start LAST Monday, postponed because tiles hadn't turned up. So it's been a duff 6 weeks really.

massive sickener, I had a 100m2 cancel before Christmas. proper done me over. things can only get better !

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I had a local camp site who have put big jobs my way for the last 4 years, cancel this years work at the last minute. That was 2 weeks work. A builder who I was due to start LAST Monday, postponed because tiles hadn't turned up. So it's been a duff 6 weeks really.

you must be a crap tiler then if you can start a job right away...:lol:

I find most customers are more than happy when you can start asap....don't really get when some say there booked up for 3 months....whos going to wait 3 months for there bathroom to be tiled..?

S

sparkle333

yes she paid me for tiles, although at reduced price not what i paid but better than nothing lol, border, adhesive , grout, £50 for heating mat, plywood and £100 for labour to remove tiles.

ive had this quote today and if i have the whole lot done and this is mates rates then im going to be out of pocket £200 , thats without the mess, inconvenience filling up quite a lot of my skip that i need for other things , cleaning all the cement adhesive off my new loo if it comes off, then both my plumber and electrician are busy for wks cos they booked me for last wkend as it was supposed to be finished, so got to wait for all that too, all round its put me out of money, living in mess longer etc . but i suppose i got enough back to have the 3 walls and floor done, just not the shower wall as cant afford another £200

S

sparkle333

sort of, ive had a yr from hell really, nearly got killed by a drunk banned known crimimal a yr ago and im still not fully recovered with neck and bad still sore, and police cocked up on charging him so very sore point lol.

had tons of probs with this house having it renovated, i think i should have got a contractor in to do it all rather than me getting family , mates and some off mybuilder etc

C

charlie1

charlie ,talking the talk is not walking the walk,as you may know i have over 40 years in this job ,now in my eyes that is a lot of tiles fixed and a lot of experience under my belt ,time served ,no courses which i dont believe in and they teach you next to nothing on the job training one to one ,worked all over the world ,worked for royalty am as good as the next tiler,i always say to the customer you dont pay me untill you are happy ,no one owes me any money ,but it is quiet here

brian, I've no reason to disbelieve any of what you say, hope things pick up for you but here is an interesting comparison you may be able to relate to. Your on holiday with your wife and your looking for somewhere to eat. Right in front of you there are two restaurants with your favourite kind of food but one difference is... One is very busy and you may need to wait 30 mins and one is dead and can serve you right away... What one do you pick?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
brian, I've no reason to disbelieve any of what you say, hope things pick up for you but here is an interesting comparison you may be able to relate to. Your on holiday with your wife and your looking for somewhere to eat. Right in front of you there are two restaurants with your favourite kind of food but one difference is... One is very busy and you may need to wait 30 mins and one is dead and can serve you right away... What one do you pick?

Would it be the one where the waitress has the biggest ........

I am going to leave this post now charlie 1 as I dont want to insult you

No John as it happens ive been quiet lately, so i could only afford a small bag of chips on my way home after getting off the bus a shame really as i had spent my last few bob to get to look at a job hoping that my top of the range portfolio would impress the customer when i eventually got there,but to cut a long story short they didnt want me waffling on all night showing my portfolio( good job as i dropped it in a big puddle)they wanted smeone who could do the job without all the talk so experiene shone through thank the lord yousee i was abit concerned it being quiet and thought i may need to go on one of theese tiling courses so i would know how to do the job properly and then i would always be busy and never have any more quiet periods

C

charlie1

No John as it happens ive been quiet lately, so i could only afford a small bag of chips on my way home after getting off the bus a shame really as i had spent my last few bob to get to look at a job hoping that my top of the range portfolio would impress the customer when i eventually got there,but to cut a long story short they didnt want me waffling on all night showing my portfolio( good job as i dropped it in a big puddle)they wanted smeone who could do the job without all the talk so experiene shone through thank the lord yousee i was abit concerned it being quiet and thought i may need to go on one of theese tiling courses so i would know how to do the job properly and then i would always be busy and never have any more quiet periods

twice you have had a dig at tiling courses brian, no doubt you have looked at my profile and noted I done a one week course at NETT but I'm not ashamed in any way off that, I'm quite proud of it actually, anyway enough about me, I have nothing to prove to anyone. I notice you put short course tilers down, why is that?? You indeed do a lot of talking on this forum though Brian about your 40 yrs+ tiling experience so if you carry all that blibber blabber with you along with your big fat portfolio then I'm sure you will get your next job... One word of advice though, try not to be too confrontational, it will get you nowhere.

Reply to any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB