Discuss any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

sparkle333

this was just for 2 straight walls not the window wall

small world the tiler has just rang me and knows and works with my son in law sometimes , who has his own plumbing and heating business, so that's made me feel better now, and mates ex hub going to give me all the adhesive, grout etc at cost price to help me out, hes going to try and pop in tonight or 2 moz to have a look, hes suggesting having my underfloor heating covered in latex too , ill wait and see what his price will be, he did say hes not the cheapest but does a good job, but he will do it a good price for me as only lives round corner and as a favour to mates ex who passes on quite a lot of work to him, he will help me out , he wants to choose the adhesive and grout he likes to work with, which I think someone else did mention, so fingers and toes all crossed

dont start knocking the tiler that is not busy just because you are,im not busy here either and havnt been for a good while now, and i could teach a lot of peolple on here a thing or two about tiling,i think a lot of it is down to where you live ,jan feb are always a bit iffy after christmas and that is when i take a well earned brake , i am not one of theese people that will say i am booked up for six months to make it sound good but ill fit you in tommorow,i you are busy ,count yourself lucky,because where i live i dont know any trade that is

dont start knocking the tiler that is not busy just because you are,im not busy here either and havnt been for a good while now, and i could teach a lot of peolple on here a thing or two about tiling,i think a lot of it is down to where you live ,jan feb are always a bit iffy after christmas and that is when i take a well earned brake , i am not one of theese people that will say i am booked up for six months to make it sound good but ill fit you in tommorow,i you are busy ,count yourself lucky,because where i live i dont know any trade that is
This time of year is always slack for me ,but I am always out trying to chase work.

glad its not only me quiet,i can remember when yo could plan things ,when you knew you was going to be flat out ,but im afraid i think them times have now gone ( well they have here anyway) i get so frustrated with it all,i have been in this job over forty years and i really feel like thowing my tools in ,but cant as yet,not good when trades men are sat at home waiting fot the phone to ring and its been that way for a good while now ,yet we have a lot of DIY MEN around here and they seem to do ok ,maybe i should have joined the merry men years ago and done the lot, but no TILING used to be a good TRADE and you could and still can make a decent wage if only the work was out there

C

charlie1

the fact the tiler is not busy would certainly be a concern to me if I was looking to hire one. having said that, as with every tiler regardless if he is busy or not, I'd perform necessary due diligence in to his competence.

C

charlie1

im not busy ,so in your eyes i cant be any good then is what you are saying

brian, where exactly did I say 'this tiler' (who I have never met) was not a good tiler??? All I said was, I'd be concerned with the fact he was able to do it at such short notice!!! Now, if it was a bus i was wanting then the very first one to come along would do nicely but a tiler??.... Hmmm... Maybe not.

C

charlie1

but we are not talking about buses here ,so i take it that if i was to be able to do the job next week you would be hesitant to use me

Being a tiler with my own standards I'd be hesitant using anyone but putting myself in ms smiths shoes, I think it would be wise to query the fact you where not busy. Having said that, if you portfolio of work looked impressive, you where priced reasonably and you could satisfy any questions I may have then you would be in with a good shout... I'd give your chances 1:3 depending on how well you came across.

C

charlie1

charlie it must be the way you are saying it then ,so if you could do a job next week would you tell the customer that you couldnt do it for a couple of months to make you look better and busy

It's been a while since I was ever in the position to tell a customer I could do a job at a weeks notice, I work for a fitting team you see and fill about 60 % of my diary through out the year, Having said that, this week has not been busy for me because a job has been delayed, no panic though! Would I tell a customer I could do a job next week? Yes, if I had too but I would leave the customer in no doubt about my ability.

charlie ,talking the talk is not walking the walk,as you may know i have over 40 years in this job ,now in my eyes that is a lot of tiles fixed and a lot of experience under my belt ,time served ,no courses which i dont believe in and they teach you next to nothing on the job training one to one ,worked all over the world ,worked for royalty am as good as the next tiler,i always say to the customer you dont pay me untill you are happy ,no one owes me any money ,but it is quiet here

Reply to any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB