Discuss any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I think every body goes thru a slack period ,I am having one at the moment but I know what I'm capable off,my problem is a lot if chancers in my area and of course the customer wants a cheap job the times I have had a phone call from some one saying that the jobs a mess can you come and put it right .I ask why didn't you come to me in the first place there answer is "thought you be to exspensive".

I think every body goes thru a slack period ,I am having one at the moment but I know what I'm capable off,my problem is a lot if chancers in my area and of course the customer wants a cheap job the times I have had a phone call from some one saying that the jobs a mess can you come and put it right .I ask why didn't you come to me in the first place there answer is "thought you be to exspensive".

I had a similar case at the start of the year, customers not wanting floors overboarded on floor boards or not want matting so that it's a cheaper job... I explain in the long run it will be better with but the upfront cost isn't convincing enough to have problems down the line!

Q

Qwerty

Guys, enough of the confrontation and personal comments. Everybody's personal circumstances are different. Some of us are fortunate to live in affluent areas where work is plentiful and prices are up. Others live in other areas where it is harder to come by work. As for being busy or not......some of us choose to take on bigger more time consuming jobs rather than the smaller (but not necessarily easier all the time) floors and splashbacks. I often have a week or two spare here and there after a full wetroom install where I not only fit everything, but project manage it for months before hand.
This forum is great for voicing opinions on tiling matters, and debating matters but personal attacks aren't nice to receive or others to read.
Have a great weekend all!!! :)

S

sparkle333

this guy that's doing my job told me someone is going around town undercutting all the good tilers prices by a huge margin and doesn't even know how the materials alone will cover the costs, hes curious to know who it is and suspects its someone that's not experienced and said hes waiting to hear how all these jobs will pan out. one job he quoted over 4 1/2 grand for as it was a huge job with very expensive tiles etc, someone came in with about 800, and the customer scoffed him saying he was overcharging, he said the materials would be way over that , so hes wondering what will go on there . after what happened to me I would be very wary if a job was that much cheaper.

im trying to find somewhere to buy small ufh mat , ive got touch control thing, where is best place to get one from that can go on plywood, I only need a small one, at the mo ive got 45 x 45 tiles down and 10 are in the middle of the floor going into the edges then extra back of loo and side of sink etc I don't need heating, 5 tiles to a sq m, I don't want 2 sq m to go under all these tiles and under bath panel, tiles are ceramic and been told heat spreads so would 1 sq m be enough , any idea

no personal attack from me no names mentioned,tiling courses are a waste of time and money but that is my opinion ,a good debate is healthy for a forum, it is just when people post stupid things about people being quiet so as to being quiet should be questioned thaqt gets my goat,we all go through quiet periods and that does not mean that you should have to have your credentials checked,i dont have no portfolio,iused to have but now i look at it as if you dont think i am good enough to work in your house or on your job ,then i would sooner not be dooing work for you anyway, my motto dont pay me if you are not happy ,and i am not owed any money ,rant over,im out

S

sparkle333

next decision is, do I leave her negative feedback on mybuilder to warn others , or neutral cos at least she gave me tile materials back although im still out of pocket £200 to have the work re done from scratch, cos I didn't think about my stud wall would be ruined and other walls needing more attention before I accepted her payment grr , I don't like being mean but at the end of the day don't want anyone else to go through this, its not not just the money but all the inconvenience , extra mess and about another 2/3 wks put behind and then trying to get other trades out again when they are all busy and were booked in last wkend and I had to cancel them

S

Stef

I can see this "argument" from both sides.
Because you aren't busy doesn't mean you are no good but on the flip side because you are busy it doesn't mean you are good at tiling.
I have been in this game for almost 10 years now & as I have said previously because you have 40yrs experience then it doesn't mean you are a good tiler, I have heard countless tradesmen spouting about this way & that way, I've done it this way for X amount of years & that's it,
My argument is times have changed & you are too set in your ways.
The way I see it is as long as you respect this trade & are willing to learn every other day then you will do not bad whether you come from a time served or a skills course back ground.
For the record I'm in a unique position where people will wait months for me,
I've 23 privates to price up plus my site work so I must be doing something right.

Maybe a comment/feedback saying that she isn't a professional tiler and that her work is sub standard and that her cowboy words at the start don't tally up with the all singing dancing website content.
And you don't not recommend her.

I personally wouldn't mention that she has tried to put right because for future customer don't want the same happening to them .. It should have been properly first time round or not at all.

C

charlie1

Short courses might be a waste of time but how would Brian the tile know, you haven't done one. Certainly wasn't for me but then again, I've been privalaged to get advice from some of the best and I've worked with good and bad tilers. I must be doing something right thou, I just picked up 42 bathrooms this morning from a guy I have worked for since my journey began 6 yr ago. I will need to fit this around an already busy schedule so good times for me. I like brians point of view too.... Bull in a China shop lol. Cheer up Brian, go out for a run or a cycle and let off steam, I mean no offence to you.

S

sparkle333

oops what have I started lol, I can see both sides ,shiftly moving on lol, another floor tile just snapped be glad to get this removed lol. ive left bad feedback didn't like doing it but at same time don't want anyone else to through this hassle and stress, ive also reported her to site explaining things, so they might even read this thread as evidence, not sure if they do that, but I did tell them Id taken advice off here and in person off some professional tillers

I can see this "argument" from both sides.
Because you aren't busy doesn't mean you are no good but on the flip side because you are busy it doesn't mean you are good at tiling.
I have been in this game for almost 10 years now & as I have said previously because you have 40yrs experience then it doesn't mean you are a good tiler, I have heard countless tradesmen spouting about this way & that way, I've done it this way for X amount of years & that's it,
My argument is times have changed & you are too set in your ways.
The way I see it is as long as you respect this trade & are willing to learn every other day then you will do not bad whether you come from a time served or a skills course back ground.
For the record I'm in a unique position where people will wait months for me,
I've 23 privates to price up plus my site work so I must be doing something right.

Ive been in the game for nearly 44 years now ,and it was a breath of fresh air finding the site it open up my world, I am still learning from you guys ,new ways of fixing and to be honest it has made my work a lot easier,as they say youre never to old to learn.

Reply to any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB