Discuss bathroom floor. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

so ive taken up majority of the tiles today and started chipping away the adhesive... some of the ply was coming up with the adhesive and I have noticed that there seems to be a thin layer of ply over other ply... I cant get my head around it as you can see there are square pieces of wood over the joists but these lines were not visible until I chipped away this thin layer of ply which was no more than 3mm thick and seemed to be completely glued to the underfloor but why would there be joints im confused and my knowledge has hit its limit on this lol.

- - - Updated - - -

2m3i48z.jpg

I

Ian

hi martyb heres the link... DAR35114 RAKO HOME cheers bri and pr and nah I havnt got those products but will be going to get it sun as have a wedding to go to tmoz.... but shouldn't the tile shop have told me this was going to happen? I didn't leave it any longer than any other tiles I have laid before. cheers

I'm afraid mate this is just a case of lack of experience, it's not the tile shop staffs job to tell you how long to leave the grout before washing off. There are 100's of different tile types, all of which need to be treated in different ways, cut differently, fitted differently, grouted differently, it's just a learning curve. It can be sorted so don't panic.

P

Protilers

Mr T bag.......get yourself some Universeal Cement away.....dilute it 1:1 (50%) and brush it onto the floor.......leave for 15mins to "dwell".........then sponge up.......rinse the floor.......lots!!!! or if you are in a hurry....
as well as the cement away get some universeal Extreme clean.........after the cement away part (see above)....instead of rinsing the floor like a loony.....apply a generous coat of extreme clean leave to dwelll and sponge off...........job done......

you see Cement away is an ACID (has negative effects on metals so be careful) and Extreme clean is an Alkaline (neuturalises Acid but has negative effects on paintwork!)

so the are both a little dangerous to one finish or other but it will clean that up a treat!!!...........

so acid to remove grout residue and alkaline to neuturalise the acid.............does that make sense.......?

all the best

Lee.......

P

Protilers

yeh so acid to get rid of the filthy and alkaline to get rid of the filthy acid? lol mate that's a really in-detail reply and is exactly the type of answer that will learn me! thanks lee oh and sorry about last night haha!!!

Mr T.....it was not your fault......I am a little stressed at the mo (proberbly overworked!) and got the TOTAL wrong end of the stick.......I was a complete idiot (and a total moron!)......
so, this is my pennance.........a full and complete reply!

as much as I have wanted to "kick you into touch" I made a complete mess and did it when you were not the culprit........so for that I apologise.....

hhehehehehehhehehehee

How many pins are in that doll you wife knitted?

hahahahahahahahaha

all the best

Lee

oh and your statement is absolutly correct.......but be aware of the metal/paint issue.....if there is one?

:smilewinkgrin:

P

Protilers

I would assume they are porcelain but more likely they are a "glazed".....

8mm thick.......(full bodied are usually 10mm)
uncalibrated.......(most full bodied are calibrated and rectified)
screams cheap glazed porcs to me........

just for the benifit of the readers...........

rectified = cut square after manafacture
calibrated = even thickness across the depth of the tile............have you ever seen that cheap slate that is 20mm at one end and 3mm at the other?..........they are uncalibrated!

M

Mr Tiler

oh and it is "teach me".......not "learn me!"..........if you have understood it then
it is something you have "Learned"......past tense............what the hell am I doing?

hehehehhehhehheheehheheee

all the best
I don't know mate yopu really wanna go down that road AGAIN??? HAHAHA.... I think many people are waiting in line to kick me into touch mate no worries lol. and our kayle cant fit anymore of those pins in so shes had to make a bigger one!!!!!...

Reply to bathroom floor. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB