Discuss bathroom floor. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

so ive taken up majority of the tiles today and started chipping away the adhesive... some of the ply was coming up with the adhesive and I have noticed that there seems to be a thin layer of ply over other ply... I cant get my head around it as you can see there are square pieces of wood over the joists but these lines were not visible until I chipped away this thin layer of ply which was no more than 3mm thick and seemed to be completely glued to the underfloor but why would there be joints im confused and my knowledge has hit its limit on this lol.

- - - Updated - - -

2m3i48z.jpg

M

Mr Tiler

I would assume they are porcelain but more likely they are a "glazed".....

8mm thick.......(full bodied are usually 10mm)
uncalibrated.......(most full bodied are calibrated and rectified)
screams cheap glazed porcs to me........

just for the benifit of the readers...........

rectified = cut square after manafacture
calibrated = even thickness across the depth of the tile............have you ever seen that cheap slate that is 20mm at one end and 3mm at the other?..........they are uncalibrated!

I will have to look up what the full bodied part means will do later tonight when im on properly.... yeh ive seen those slate in b&q but I wouldn't call them cheap! they maybe cheap considering the quality but they wouldn't feel cheap on my pocket! lol. no metal problems just the painted skirting but it will be re-done..... what about the grout joints mate can the acid get into the joints? if not whats the best method to keep it to a minimum? thanks lee.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
so how can I tell this in the future ali? is the absorbtion percentage? thanks matey.

The absorbtion rate can be found on the products data sheet, sometimes of the packaging of the tile.

Porcelain is generally very hard, therefore dense. Most porcelain tiles have a very low absorbtion rate because of this. Yours are quoting 0.6%. For a good quality porclain I would say this is quite high. Believe it or not.
If your tile is full bodied porcelain, the matt finishing and the hazing to me suggests it could be. Then there is no glazed layer to full close any possible holes in the surface of your tile. At 0.6 I'd believe there maybe. So, as a consequence, and leaving the grout on a little too long before washing off perhaps, you have grout bleed into your tile.

I could be completely wrong, but I am basing this on a bit of experience. I've had bleed onto a tile with AR of less than 0.1 before. Luckily I tested the tile before grouting up ;)

M

Mr Tiler

thanks mate and that is a lesson learned but u know what mate... I was actually sayin to the missus earlier when we purchased the tiles I thought the tiles felt and looked a little 'spongey' if you know what I mean. deffinately a lesson learned will always either be asking the absorbtion rate and or testing a single tile when doing it again. (need to try and remember to test a tile!) hopefully that statement will stay in me head for next time lol thanks mate :thumbs_up:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to bathroom floor. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB