Discuss Building regs... Part p in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
One for Keith at u heat I think. Or of course any one knowledgeable about part p

If I were to put an electric cable underfloor heating system into my screed and hard wire it through a stat into a spur it would be classed as a fixed wiring circuit and would become notifiable to building control under part p.

if on the there and instead of hard wiring it from the stat to the spur I were to put a 13a plug on it and plug it into a socket do you know if the same rules would apply??

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It is a domestic job and i Don't really want to have to go though the rigmarole of building regs approval. i dont even knw if its possible to do it but logic suggests it is doable. Its not actually for me but for a relative of the wife.

Last edited:
U

Uheat - Keith

Good morning all,

Part P, is Building regs, not electric and is to do with fixed items.
Whatever way you wire, the Electric Underfloor Heating system is a fixed item (in the floor) and so falls under Part P.
Underfloor Heating is not an item you can pick up and move around.

In all our 10 years of trading Elektra electric underfloor heating we have never told anyone to put a plug on any of our systems.
All systems need to be hard wired on their own heating circuit, or wired on a spur via a ring main.
Whichever way, the electrical system should be equipped with a Residual Current Device.
I think you would find any good Underfloor Heating company would say the same.

With regards to Part 'P', what is said and what gets done on 'site' may be two different things in many cases.

Hope that is of same help,
Warm regards,

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Good morning all,

Part P, is Building regs, not electric and is to do with fixed items.
Whatever way you wire, the Electric Underfloor Heating system is a fixed item (in the floor) and so falls under Part P.
Underfloor Heating is not an item you can pick up and move around.

In all our 10 years of trading Elektra electric underfloor heating we have never told anyone to put a plug on any of our systems.
All systems need to be hard wired on their own heating circuit, or wired on a spur via a ring main.
Whichever way, the electrical system should be equipped with a Residual Current Device.
I think you would find any good Underfloor Heating company would say the same.

With regards to Part 'P', what is said and what gets done on 'site' may be two different things in many cases.

Hope that is of same help,
Warm regards,

obviously no help whatsoever :whistling:but I guess you are absolutely right and I have to be philosophical.... Will give building controll a call next week to get sorted. Thanks Keith... :)

U

Uheat - Keith

Programmable or Manual Electric Underfloor Heating controllers have a minimum of 6 teerminals in the back.
2 terms - power in.
2 terms - load out. (The Underfloor Heating mat or cable)
2 terms for the floor sensor.

A plug with a cord on it is:
3 pin plug = power in.
Cord = The Underfloor Heating mat or cable.
Where would you wire the floor sensor too.

Wiring a Electric Underfloor Heating system to a 3 pin plug, would be like driving a car without a foot break.

Warm regards,

Programmable or Manual Electric Underfloor Heating controllers have a minimum of 6 teerminals in the back.
2 terms - power in.
2 terms - load out. (The Underfloor Heating mat or cable)
2 terms for the floor sensor.

A plug with a cord on it is:
3 pin plug = power in.
Cord = The Underfloor Heating mat or cable.
Where would you wire the floor sensor too.

Wiring a Electric Underfloor Heating system to a 3 pin plug, would be like driving a car without a foot break.

Warm regards,

Ah, just re-read Alan's post, I thought he was just using the plug as a source to the spur, point taken Keith, sorry, I must learn to read properly lol

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
With a plug, you would also have the problem of no floor sensor.
Floor sensors on all and every Electric Underfloor Heating system are there to protect the floor from over heating and therefore damage to the floor finish.
If a Electric Underfloor Heating system is wired via a plug, no floor sensor can be used !!!!

Warm regards,

Allright allright ... I'll call them.... :)

G

GT1

evening
Just logged on here to refresh my (little bit) of tiling knowledge while i get ready to do a little job for myself..
As it happens Im an electrician..!!
Anyhow..
Without spouting the sort of stuff about safety and regs etc that you would expect from someone of my trade..
All I'll say is..
You'd have to stick to manufacturers instructions regardless..
So that kind answers the fused spur question....
Furthermore any wires/cables permanently installed in the fabric of the building (such as thermostat cable) then comes under the wiring regs and then Part P..

However.. Part P isnt something to fear as such. Tradesmen like me that pay into a scheme provider work very easily within Part P and can self-certify their own work and register it with building control in one swoop.

Finally Part P changes slightly in April. One of the changes allows a suitably qualified electrician to certify work done by others... Although I havent looked at the detail yet of that particular change..!!

Failing all else give me a bell, I'm only at Doncaster..!! lol

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
looked into this recently on a job i was going to do and according to building regs in scotland ufh in a bathroom is notifieable to building control whether that happens on most jobs is another matter

part p i dont think applies up here but we have an equivelant i think

call building control in your area but my guess is yes it should have building warrant according to them

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Building regs... Part p in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
So, I'm doing my own floor, and for the first time I'm putting wire underfloor heating over...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
Be the Best with BAL! The importance of correct training should never be underestimated. As the...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
P
Hi, New to diy and to forums so grateful if you can bear with me. Bought timber to build a...
Replies
Views
peterk01
P
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
I wouldn't want to 'test' the attackers so don't post anything about this anywhere public. If...
Replies
Views
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB