Discuss Do you remember when .... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

... You had to break the ice off the drum to get to your tiles, you used sawdust to polish the floors and you got 10shillings a yard for fixing tiles with sand/cement!

By those were the days!!.
Who else used to push their bike up the cobbled streets and eat Hovis jammies.

Not quite that old but , did used to fix quarries in S&C with beating blocks and muslin cloths for cleaning followed by silver sand for polishing.
S&C still a good method for falls into gullies etc though.

Diggy :0)

S

steve-tiler

Reading this thread makes me think about when I started in 2001

One of the tradesmen when I started was 66 and retired about 6 months later, he had a water level and dot dabbed everything, never used a serrated trowel.
He used cardboard for spacers which as 'the boy' you had to rip up boxes to keep him supplied and grouted with his fingers and a damp cloth. He liked using a hand tile saw and an hand wound hole cutter which clipped on to the rubi ts-60.

He too used to have the bag of sawdust for cleaning the floors.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Luton
Nothing wrong with the old methods , still the most economical way of fixing tiles in my opinion 10 sqm floor fixed in sand and cement at 25mm bed depth will cost under £20 for the sand and cement
how much would it cost for levelling compound and adhesive with that type of build up 20 bags of leveller and 2 bags of adhesive around 300 pounds
Not just cheap method but never have the flat and level tiles with adhesive like with sand and cement after vibration....

Would carry a tilley lamp as lot of jobs had no electric it was a pain riding along on my moped with my tool bucket strapped on the back and the tilley lamp swinging on the handle bars my, boss only supplied one mantle a week so if it went then it was down to you to buy them,also remember using pitch for the joints,did a few battery rooms at telephone exchanges,did not have a pitched pot had a old copper boiler,one day left it on to long melted the bottom the pitch caught alight and set the ceiling alight.

T

Time's Ran Out

Would carry a tilley lamp as lot of jobs had no electric it was a pain riding along on my moped with my tool bucket strapped on the back and the tilley lamp swinging on the handle bars my, boss only supplied one mantle a week so if it went then it was down to you to buy them,also remember using pitch for the joints,did a few battery rooms at telephone exchanges,did not have a pitched pot had a old copper boiler,one day left it on to long melted the bottom the pitch caught alight and set the ceiling alight.

Problem with Tilley and camping gaz lamps were they would sweat the walls and if you were grouting the white cement wouldn't go off. On damp dull days we often had to create a wind to help it dry enough to polish off.

Houston

TF
Arms
Like the 3/4/5 triangle , the water level is a tool worth investing in !
When I bought my 3/4/5 triangle I wondered how I was going to get the 15 foot length in the van!
And how many times has the water level been cut to syphon off diesel ?
Can't get more accurate than gravity to keep your tiles level.

My uncle made my square from straight edges we used, it's at least 20years old but doesn't get used now but a good investment for someone starting out and still bang on. The water level is a favourite of mine and still in use.
image.jpg

Reply to Do you remember when .... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
I've got plasterers coming in next week to render the (brick) walls of my bathroom ready for it...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Perhaps one for @SchlüterSystems themselves to answer. When was ditra first made and used? Is...
Replies
Views
jonnyc
J
M
Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all.......I'm just after a second opinion here regarding...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB