Discuss Do you remember when .... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

... You had to break the ice off the drum to get to your tiles, you used sawdust to polish the floors and you got 10shillings a yard for fixing tiles with sand/cement!

By those were the days!!.
Who else used to push their bike up the cobbled streets and eat Hovis jammies.
[MENTION=11380]timeless john[/MENTION], Well I found it John! Wow what a read! Think I'd forgotten most of what's been mentioned :lol:
feels like a lifetime ago, well I spose it was! Haha
using Silver Sand and Sawdust to clean floors, great technique, where did it go? I remember the first lesson I was taught, how to carry my mentors tools and make Tea, haha. Then it was to make his staff and find water. Then the most important piece of maths I ever learnt, never mind my A level maths, 3/4/5! Haha
I learnt a lot from a team of Tilers that worked for our contractor, 3 generations of Irish Tilers. There was "Old Man Billy" his son "Billy" and of course his son "YOUNG Billy!" The old man was in his mid 70's so he knew a trick or two! (Makes me smile thinking about those guys!) of course even "Young Billy" was older than me. :thumbsup:
Miles and miles of 'Heathers & Fire Flash' and nearly as many 'Pilk's Dorset and Four Square' haha
laying miles and miles of 'Crystal Whites' laying a whole box in the crook of your arm and fixing them at a rate of knots. When the muscles in your thumbs were the size of biceps and EVERY work shirt u owned had holes in from shaping tiles with nippers. When 'tanking' meant using 'Bal Grip!' Does it still smell like 'wet nappies?' Haha
god life was simpler then! Oh well. **yawn**

T

Time's Ran Out

I was very fortunate as I started with a small family business and the son took me under his wing from day 1. Always on a job from 7.30 till finished and never made the tea once. The building boom of the early 70's meant I was tiling within 6 months. Always did the labouring and fetching/carrying but that enabled more tiles to be fixed by others and more money! After all £15 a week was a lot of money when you paid £5 a week rent.

Houston

TF
Arms
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]does anyone remember using buchtal tiles, haven't used them for years ,they were tough and very sharp to handle,when fixing on walls we used silver sand and a bit of cement for spacing the 10mm joint and when the tiles had set we used to rake out the sand and cement ready for grouting.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Bal Flex, great adhesive, 5ltr liquid and 7kg powder, but we would never use all the powder it just never seemed to mix wright with your bit of wood, the old boy was adamant to leave a bit in the bottom of the bag [/FONT]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do you remember when .... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
I've got plasterers coming in next week to render the (brick) walls of my bathroom ready for it...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Perhaps one for @SchlüterSystems themselves to answer. When was ditra first made and used? Is...
Replies
Views
jonnyc
J
M
Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all.......I'm just after a second opinion here regarding...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB