Guest viewing is limited

Discuss does this happen over there in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

i grew-up on a council est, then when i started swimming pool's and see the wealth that some folk's have, i just could not believe they had so much, when i did not but over the year's i have seen it change , with a lot of NEW Money, and of course my own wealth has gone-up and now i live in my own house on a private est, but people are in to much of a rush to have/do everthing !! we all need to pace it a bit slower IMO :thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

I think most of us was brought up on council estates but then I'm going back to the 50s but there was allways an estate that was private....

That where the money was then, more people have wealth now than when I was brought up
I was brought up on a council estate, massive one that consisted of 8 houses:lol: 3 miles from kendal. We were all in and out of each others houses borrowing a bit of this and a bit of that, it was great in that it created a good community spirit 'cos we were all in the same boat and depended on each other:thumbsup:

D

doit4u

When we got engaged we lived of my wages and put enerything my fiancee earned into the building society for a deposit on a house and we struggled to get a mortgage. Eventually got one from the council because I had a steady job with the post office but had to take it over 35 years

Our wedding present from my parents was to pay the solicitors fees and a new bed. The few bits of furniture we had were either family hand-ons or bought second hand. The cooker cost us £5 and my dad and I spent a weekend taking it apart and decoking it with caustic soda. We didn't even have a TV

Mind you we had some flash wheels. I had my Dad's 8 year old Morris 1000 that I bought for what they offered him on a trade in and my wife had a BSA Bantam to get the 10 miles across town to work.

Today its a different story!

M

M.J.

I've noticed a big difference in parent's attitudes in that they feel like failures if they don't give their kids luxuries. Friends of my wife went into debt in order to buy their 17 year old son a decent car as if it was his right of passage and paid his insurance which was over £2K....he wrote it off within two months and they got him another one.

That's true it's hard to explain to your children why other's have and they don't. And of course you want to give them everything which makes them happy. But there is a line and as a parents we should sense it.

Reply to does this happen over there in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
HI, Excuse the length and new thread, but it reads super fast. I could use some advice. There...
Replies
Views
eric123
E
P
We had a wet room installed about 8 months ago. The floor is tiled with large 60x60cm porcelain...
Replies
Views
C
I'm almost lost for words!!!!! Last weekend I went to see a potential customer about some...
Replies
Views
White Room
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
does this happen over there
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.