Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Exceeding substrate weight limits. in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I am not convinced that a tile stuck to a wall is putting the same amount of stress on the background as one stuck to a ceiling. I can understand manufacturers need to put the limits in place to cover themselves but that dose not mean that if you go over by a few kg the background will automatically fail

Exactly right Dean, They have to give a figure for people to work to, but it will also have a tolerance to allow for people who will always go that extra bit, cos that's what people do, isn't it?

I refer back to my tyre analogy, where the tyre will not automatically burst/puncture at 50mph. It is a recommendation that you do not drive faster than that speed, but some people will.

D

DHTiling

I was chatting to 2 of the british gypsum guys face to face late last year , and the weight limit for PB was set yrs ago .... they say it will now hold more weight as the paper facing is thicker and of a lot better quality than when the limits were set yrs ago..

The limits really are a mine field when looking at everyday wall substrates we have to cope with... older houses have walls that have been up so so long and then we have new builds etc where the stud centers can be 900mm which creates another issue..

But a good tiler does or should know how far they can push the limits when tiling... as in weights..

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I suppose those that won't go a gram above and stick to the letter are those that throw food away when it reaches the use by date.
A lot of it is over precaution. If the board is in good order and fixed well i wouldn't be telling my customer she can't have the tiles she wants because its over by A kilo. Ill lose the job and she'll find someone that will fix them.
I wouldn't push the limits too much mind and 99 times out of 100 i replace with new anyway so i know how well its constructed.
Common sense and better judgement

Last edited:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I suppose im overloading on this job im doing now, 600x300 ceramics on walls that were painted skim.
BUT i scratched the skim and scraped 90% of it off revealing a sand/cement render,so ive primed with the TIlemaster green primer (TA i think)and tiled, and i kid thee not, i took one off the day after, i found a iccle chip on the corner, had to smash the bugger off !
Stuck like poo to a baby blanket

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

even better Dave who has seen a failure due to a wieght issue ?

Pete I once had a failure due to weight issues, we were laying onto semi dry the same day using boards to spread the weight. I'm sure most older hands will have done this method.

Our failure was down to one of the tilers,he was 45 stone, beggered the screed up good style.:lol:

How long you been trading.. ?

trading under my own company for less than a year but in the trade for 5 years.

The company i used to work for did everything from bathroom, public toilets, pub wc's, park holiday sites, bar walk, kitchens. all commercial and domestic so probably worked with most substrates tilealbe.

Reply to Exceeding substrate weight limits. in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB