Discuss Fathers death.......moving on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Hi

I am currently trying to get to grips with my fathers death yesterday. I won't say it was sudden and unexpected but it was still a shock after a short illness. I managed to spend some time with him and made him a promise that I would look after my mum after he had gone.

Anyway I am now trying to fulfill my promise and am going through paperwork. I have a problem though with pensions and benefits. I have been fortunate enough to have never had to use the benefits system at all.

She is in her late 60's and is on state pension. It appears that for the last 20 or 30 years my dad did all of the household administration, accounts etc etc etc. I have managed to find most of the paperwork but one thing is really baffling me and I won't sleep if I have to think about it all night.

I have read on the internet that as she is on state pension she will automatically get a bereavement payment once the benefits office has been notified of his death - presumably by me. Anyway, and this might sound really thick, I can't work out if the department for work and pensions is the same thing as the benefits office.

D

Deleted member 9966

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Alan. I have no idea what you must be going through.

I have just been on the Direct.gov.uk website and found this link
Bereavement Payment : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

You can download the Bereavement Pack via a pdf, and that should hopefully tell you everything you need to know.

As far as I am aware, the Department for Work and Pensions now operate their payments via the Jobcentre which is also known as the benefits office because that's where you have to go to claim benefits.

I hope this helps.

Sorry to hear this news
Welcome to one of the S*** ist clubs in the world but give it time and the bad memories will disolve and the good ones will keep re appearing at v strange times but they will make you smile. Glad you had time with him at the end count yourself lucky some dont . I did get time with my Dad and managed to tell him about my Wife expecting our 2nd kid and we also had a giggle about all the trouble we have both caused my mom over the years those few moments do help over the next few months
i can only give you bits of help but its better than nowt i hope

Registring the death ( No nice phrase for this ) Get plenty of copies of the Death Cert if there is going to be lots of paperwork to fill out to claim money / power of attorney etc its cheaper to do this when your in the office than at a later date and less hassle
Photocopy all important docs as some firms like to lead you on a goose chase hoping you will give up

Dont try to do it in one go take your time as your brain is probably flying at the moment and will not do things logically

Good luck and just take a little look up

Reply to Fathers death.......moving on in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
2 3
Replies
Views
S
...bit of a who dunnit but feel I've been shafted royal style on this one. Working for a joiner...
2 3 4 5 6
Replies
Views
E
So I'm having trouble with a customer relating to grout (Bal Micromax) I have tiled 70 sq...
2 3 4 5 6
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Ajax123

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Lincolnshire
Website
https://www.lkabminerals.com/en/products/gypsol/
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)

Thread Information

Title
Fathers death.......moving on
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.