Search the forum,

Discuss Floor adhesive not dry after a week in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Just wondering what was the original floor? Timber, concrete? If timber was there any over boarding done? No cement based adhesive would take a week to set, unless slow set in extreme cold. If timber then move likely due to movement, poor prep.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The original floor was concrete.
I've just had another look and ALL of the floor tiles lift up really easily, you can just lift them up with your fingers. The plumber is back on the 27th to fit the toilet - but I imagine he won't be able to do that onto a floor that isn't stuck down. Also, the grout is all cracked and there also isn't any sort of seal between the floor tiles and the wall.

I've checked the tile adhesive he used and it was MAPEI Ultimate Shower - but it says on the pot that it is suitable for wall tiles. I guess not floor tiles.... The tiler had asked me to supply the adhesive and grout and obviously he saw it before he started the job - but I wonder if some of this is now my fault. Basically, he fitted the wall tiles but ran out of adhesive at the end so asked me to supply some more before he came back and I bought the same stuff. He had said it was really good adhesive and what he would have bought, but still...
I don't mind too much about the feeder taps coming down from the ceiling. That's where they were before and I had told the plumber I was okay with it.

D

Dumbo

All your floor has to come up and be relaid using a cement based adhesive .
Your tiler is a chancer to of done that. Either he didn't know or couldn't be bothered, and to honest those wall tiles are probably to big for readymix adhesive

Reaction score
Definitely not your fault if he had asked you to supply the adhesive and grout he should have specified the correct type, as said will have to come up. But should be able to salvage all the tiles. Shame when this happens but completely avoidable.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is another case of the person fixing tiles not knowing a thing about what they're doing.

You needed to get a few quotes and not go for the cheapest. Not always fool proof mind.

So sorry to hear about this. Sounds like the floor has to come up and he fixed with cement adhesive and the walls could be questionable.

Dont pay them anything else. I wouldn't even have them back to repair it. Not worth the hassle.

Now the tiles are cut, get yourself some cement based adhesive and refix them yourself perhaps? Half the job is done perhaps.

Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately, he absolutely wasn’t the cheapest quotation we had. He was the most expensive. We employed a plumber to do the job, but when he arrived he said he’d subcontracted the plastering and tiling to a colleague of his who would be better at it. Then when the plasterer arrived, he told us he’d also subcontracted the tiling to a colleague of his who would be better at it..So right now, they’re all blaming the other one. They’re all on the main websites and have good reviews. I don’t know what went wrong this time. Miscommunication between them and no one taking full responsibility, I think.

D

Dumbo

Thanks. Unfortunately, he absolutely wasn’t the cheapest quotation we had. He was the most expensive. We employed a plumber to do the job, but when he arrived he said he’d subcontracted the plastering and tiling to a colleague of his who would be better at it. Then when the plasterer arrived, he told us he’d also subcontracted the tiling to a colleague of his who would be better at it..So right now, they’re all blaming the other one. They’re all on the main websites and have good reviews. I don’t know what went wrong this time. Miscommunication between them and no one taking full responsibility, I think.
Did you get the plumber through the website

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Absolutely not a tiler in any shape or form, seems none of the trades you have had in for that job have any knowledge, pride or shame. The sad things is even if you left them bad feedback it would likely be removed and they would continue on as these sights live in fear of folk not wanting to pay subscription fees and cancelling their membership

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I got him through checkatrade, but he's also on trustedtraders.which.co.uk as is the plasterer/tiler.

Avoid those sites like the plague.

The odd person on there is good. Most are bad. Feedback is questionably false. Very troublesome websites.

Reply to Floor adhesive not dry after a week in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen