Discuss Help - Buying a second hand car? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

Do you need a 4x4 GR or is it just a 'would like' type thing, the prices are up after all the snow problems and feul is through the roof at the moment, I saw a guy at the petrol station the other week go past £100 in diesel in a 4x4 as I walked past to go in to pay, and he was still going :yikes::yikes:

Bear in mind that it was around april 2006 when the new tax bands came in and tax for uneconomical vehilces went through the roof as well, I used this to my advantage when we got the RX8, we purposley looked for one registered before april 06 becuase the road tax was half the price!

I'd like something with a high driving position and something fuel economical, and I'd like something sturdy to use down the country lanes I use to get to work. I understand the fuel costs and tax, but i'm hoping to off-set that with a really economical second car for Mr GRR :grin:

D

Deleted member 9966

Personally I would avoid the Hyundai, i believe you get what you pay for in a vehicle and they dont fair too well in reviews. Last thing i would want to put my kids in is an unreliable vehicle. I looked at all the MPV's recently and the Hyundai and Kia sedona were way down the list. The sedona btw is awful, it feels like a boat if you are in the back.

where did you find the reviews for them? the what car review for the Trajet just seems to put a downer on the interior quality and some fixable issues mechanically.

D

Deleted member 9966

have you thought about going to a car auction??

why a disco liz? with an £8k budget for to cars, id get a bmw 5 series on a 53 -54 plate for around £5000 onwards and use the rest for a 2nd vehicle ... loads of room in the bmw, nice shape too.. or even a mercedes c class?

I don't want a rear wheel drive car Ed. would prefer a high driving position and 4wd. gone off the disco idea, but want a nice sturdy car that will survive impact after seeing what happened to Doug's truck :(

A

Aston

rear wheel are great liz.... i bought gayle a bmw 328ci on 30th october 2002, on 31st october (halloween) lol she decided to put her foot down.
she drove through a hugh puddle and when she breaked, the brakes aqua planed and she wrote off a corsa and a mondeo...the bmw just had front end impact damage.... if i were in a crash, i would want to be in a bmw

great cars, build quality, performance residuals....but its your money and you have got to be happy with what you buy.

D

DHTiling

thanks guys. I don't know any car mechanics anymore. I guess an AA inspection is a good option.

I want to buy from a reputable dealer but all the cars I like are two or three times the price at the main/reputable dealers. I can't afford to spend lots of money on new cars this year and my budget is about 6-8k for 2 cars (land rover discovery and a family sized hatchback)

Liz, get Dan to ask his mate who IS a mechanic to look over your choice of car//:)

D

Deleted member 9966

I went and looked at them myself and here

Hyundai Trajet GSi TD diesel Reviews | MPV's and People Carriers | Review Centre

What dont you like about rear wheel drive?

cheers for pointing me towards those reviews. the Trajet I'm looking at has about 70k miles on the clock but when Mr GRR gives up work, it will probably take him 4 years to get anywhere near 90k which is where the gearbox problems on the older models seem to start. The one I've found locally is a 56 reg.

as for rear wheel drive, it would be absolutely useless in the snow where I live and the roads I use to travel to work. I'd prefer front or 4 wheel drive. I have nothing against rear wheel drive cars other than that, but I do need something with a big boot for a buggy and camping gear. a Trajet and an X-Trail would give us the choice of taking either car when we go away camping.

thanks for all your input guys, I really do appreciate it. buying cars is like a lottery sometimes.

S

Scott

I have 2 mpv's a zafira which i have to say is blinding in the snow and very practical. Not so good on the fuel with a 2.2 turbo diesel but motors at 95moh all the way to france and has done countless times. The Fiat mulitpla is without doubt the worst car in creation, i went from a BMW 750iL to this car so it was always going to feel inferior but even now i get more enjoyment from driving my toyota van :)

The problem with most mpvs is lack of boot space when you use all the seats, although you got some serious horizontal line dancing to do before you have enough kids to fill all them seats :)

D

Deleted member 9966

I don't really want an MPV myself, hence wanting a 4x4, but Mr GRR really likes the Trajet. His ex-gf's parents had one and he's never been able to fault their practicality as a good sized family carrier (2 adults & 3 kids). I'm taken with the fact that the front seats can turn round to face the rear and create a picnic table type arrangement in the middle of the car if you get all the seats configured right :lol: plus all the rear seats can be removed to make way for a small van sized space :yesnod: maybe I should just buy a transit.... a crew cab version :grin:

Reply to Help - Buying a second hand car? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Please help me. Really having a nightmare here. Just moved into a new house and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Help - Buying a second hand car?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.