Discuss House bashing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

I started sub-contracting to a tiling firm this week house bashing. I was a bit apprehensive as I have been strictly domestic for the last few years since I left teaching at the college. I am amazed at how it fits likean old slipper. Monday I was finding my feet and tiled and grouted 12m2 floor. Tuesday i did my CSCS test and sent for my card. Wednesday I smashed a 14m2 floor and a 9m2 bathroom. Today I grouted the floor and tiled the 12m2 en-suite. Tomorrow I will grout the bathroom and the en-suite and that will be the Friday job and knock. I have had a good week and I can come home at night and not have to worry about work and *** hole punters.

T

The D

I did site work today , tiled two 12m2 bathrooms today and left at 3 oclock i am going to see if i can get more of it as it is how I remember the old days when I enjoyed it a lot more , back there tomorrow and will tile another 2 bathrooms
there is no point if we are not enjoying it is there m8. this week i have been the happiest i have been for along time.

S

Spud

I had the same conversation earlier with another tiler , there is a lot to said working as a subbie or going on the cards for a firm as long as you set your stall out from day 1 as what you both expect from each other it works well , the only negative I have found is it can be bitchy working for a firm as there is sometimes rivalry between who get the best pick of the work but at my age now I dont really care as long as I dont have to follow behind some rough lot rectifying their work

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
I started sub-contracting to a tiling firm this week house bashing. I was a bit apprehensive as I have been strictly domestic for the last few years since I left teaching at the college. I am amazed at how it fits likean old slipper. Monday I was finding my feet and tiled and grouted 12m2 floor. Tuesday i did my CSCS test and sent for my card. Wednesday I smashed a 14m2 floor and a 9m2 bathroom. Today I grouted the floor and tiled the 12m2 en-suite. Tomorrow I will grout the bathroom and the en-suite and that will be the Friday job and knock. I have had a good week and I can come home at night and not have to worry about work and *** hole punters.
9 m bathroom !
how big is that .?

C

Colour Republic

That's the part which you can't put a price on!! Sometimes you do wonder if that extra bit of cash is worth the hassle

T

TJ Smiler

That's the part which you can't put a price on!! Sometimes you do wonder if that extra bit of cash is worth the hassle

Spot on mate...... Not once this week have i got home before half eight, then spend ages typing up quotes and sending them out, do sometimes think subbing again would be a welcome break.

Thing is though (when your busy) it is very easy to forget how stressful it is to not have any work. Am earning good money at the mo, but bloody hell i am crashing the hours out for it!

G

Gazzer

The other thing to think of with house bashing is that for many of the older tilers it was how it was when we started. In the 70s and 80s large housing estates wher going up everywhere and we were running from house to house with a bucket holding a spreader, scriber, nippers, cutting board and a level.
I am just breaking even on this site when I tile the kitchens although I guess that depend what you class as your usual days rate. On the bathrooms, the 1st one was rather slow as I needed to use the same setting out points as the other fixers. The second was a lot quicker and the third which I start today I should be flying.
That said although it works out decent money I will be off this site by monday 12pm at the latest as I have my own work ....private site this time and a much better rate....local too.
Too be honest I miss it in one way but I dont like to feel pressured these days to "have" to complete a set amount.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
is this the site in Gloucester Dean..? if so which one is it ...Kingsway..?

I learnt how to tile on sites......even worked my way up to getting and running my own sites for wimpy homes, spent 15 years doing it, only thing I found was after a while it became bloody boring, doing the same houses day after day, you could tell the time just by where abouts you were when tiling the kitchen.....and the highlight of the day was when you were ten mins ahead of yourself and beat your record for tiling that kitchen...lol

must admit though it was a lot less stressfull ......turn up, tile...go home and chill..

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
The other thing to think of with house bashing is that for many of the older tilers it was how it was when we started. In the 70s and 80s large housing estates wher going up everywhere and we were running from house to house with a bucket holding a spreader, scriber, nippers, cutting board and a level.
I am just breaking even on this site when I tile the kitchens although I guess that depend what you class as your usual days rate. On the bathrooms, the 1st one was rather slow as I needed to use the same setting out points as the other fixers. The second was a lot quicker and the third which I start today I should be flying.
That said although it works out decent money I will be off this site by monday 12pm at the latest as I have my own work ....private site this time and a much better rate....local too.
Too be honest I miss it in one way but I dont like to feel pressured these days to "have" to complete a set amount.

oh yes, I remember those days.....whats it like on the sites now..? is the power on..? or do you have a generator ...? had nowt in them days....nipped or rod sawed everything, mixed up with a stick, braking the ice on the outside water butt to grout, finishing at 3pm in the winter cause theres no lights.....and don't even mention the porto-loos...took your life in your hands going in there..lol

Reply to House bashing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I'm new to tiling and looking for some advice. I'm practical and usually pretty good...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with? I move into my new build house in...
Replies
Views
T
My daughter and Hubby are moving into their newly built house on Friday and today we went for a...
Replies
Views
A
Abit about myself to start off with. Been in the building game for 30 years and can turn my...
Replies
Views
C

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB