Discuss House bashing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

As i said to Dean and Sir Amic i binned private mid last year because i was sick of the hassle from customers and all the running around pricing and then up all night pricing.
Yep the rates are lower, but looking back over my invoices i've still done better this year.
Like the older chaps here say i was on sites as a kid in the 80's and they we are right mess, i've enjoyed the frozen water bosh too :), rubbish, burning plastic, mud and working with cavemen!
But these days health and safety has worked both ways, the sites now are much much cleaner, have proper loos and are just easier to work on. The lads chip in and even though you still have problems i'm really enjoying it.
I try and avoid private as much as possible now, only do little jobs for mates.

T

TJ Smiler

Was a scaffolder for years before a started tiling and done quiet a lot of sight work then, i bloody hated it.

Never done site work as a tiler but i have done a fair bit of subbing and the one thing i loved was the consistency of payment every Friday, didn't get quiet the same rate as my private work but over the course of the year the loss was not too much at all and the stress level was certainly much much lower so it kind of all evens itself out in the end.

R

Rossymcg

House bashing will always be my favourite work, if you're a grafter you'll earn, all too many domestic tradesmen faff about, popping of to suppliers, cuppa tea here bacon cob there,little moan about this a little moan about that, working that way becomes the norm, and they wouldn't earn a carrot on site,
on site for 7.30 grafting for 7.45 bite to eat at about 12 finish for 4 , work like that on site and the money is good

I dont do much site work, well none in the last ten years, work on pubs and hotels refurb and a lot of domestic dont miss site work especially in the winter have done stacks of house bashing in the 70s for Wimpey ,Costains and Mc Alpines,sometimes it used to be colder in the house than it was outside,and used to hate doing council houses you would have to do 6 to 8 a day to earn your money no give me Mrs Jones bathroom any day.

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am trying to get my head around this thread!
I don't have a problem with experienced Tilers having bigger ones than me, because a standard of tiling is built in to their make up, but new build housing deserves the highest quality of tiling that should be achieved as the norm. It's the word bashing that concerns me.
As for Mr T , well your 10mm joints just highlights your inexperience!

M

Mr Tiler

I agree john it 'should' be the way it is but that will never be the case at all I walked into this job in the wrong mindset from listening to all this stuff you guys go onabout what is so bad, but its basically standard practise... as for my 10mm joints I didn't state that my cuts were that deep but if they were, it wouldn't matter anyway due to the 20mm thick skirting going down lol. they do it that way so people can get in and out with no messing about... and whos faults that bud? the tradesmen? not likely

T

The D

I'am trying to get my head around this thread!
I don't have a problem with experienced Tilers having bigger ones than me, because a standard of tiling is built in to their make up, but new build housing deserves the highest quality of tiling that should be achieved as the norm. It's the word bashing that concerns me.
As for Mr T , well your 10mm joints just highlights your inexperience!
the word bashing refers to the speed the work is turned out not the quality. it is a production line at the end of the day just like working in a factory and just like a factory there is quality control your work has to pass the site agent the finishing foreman the sales team the client and your boss. make no mistake i am a house basher born and bread but i will happily sand next to anyone from any background and tile and not feel intimidated.

the 10mm is about the joint to the wall on a floor it will not be seen as the skirting is fitted on top of the tiles. it helps to bash the floor down quicker:smilewinkgrin:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I am mentally knackered just reading this thread. All that meterage in a single day is very impressive. I'm sticking with domestic and they are mostly in loft extensions. Two flights of stairs etc. I can just about manage 12sqm in 2.5 days (maybe 2 at a push), but that's working around all the other trades too. Thanks Deno for sharing your skill with us. At 48 (49 tomorrow!) I will never never never reach a quarter of your speed. The main thing from this thread is that you are happy.

T

The D

its funny if you had said to me 12 months ago i would be back on the house bashing and loving it i would have said you was mad. i was loving the freedom and the kudos of the high end domestic side, but to be totally honest the game is a bit of a minefield at the moment and every one wants to blame the fixer for everything that may go wrong. there is a lot to be said for domestic work and i have respect for the people that get involved in that side of the trade as i know full well how it all takes time and a substantial amount of effort to keep the client happy and playing the game. for me i have lost interest in playing that game and am finding a new enthusiasm for the site work. The pace is faster but there are reasons for that. You can fix a lot more in a day on site than you can on domestic work but this is reflected in the price so it is swings and roundabouts financially. if you are happy in your work it is all good.

Reply to House bashing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I'm new to tiling and looking for some advice. I'm practical and usually pretty good...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with? I move into my new build house in...
Replies
Views
T
My daughter and Hubby are moving into their newly built house on Friday and today we went for a...
Replies
Views
A
Abit about myself to start off with. Been in the building game for 30 years and can turn my...
Replies
Views
C

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB