Discuss I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hugo, as above, use a staff. Find your highest point set your laser height to whatever mark a staff ( just like using a dumpy level) set dots to this level all around the floor (grid of levels) I don't use batons, the runners in my pics are polymer sand and cement, left to set. I always put some rapid set adhesive in the mix, to send it off fast.

Using this method you can go from 0 to 30mm, Fill in the bays, (I work to 2m bays) with slc. Then when floor is poured and cured, you can remove runners and replace with slc. Or if you feel confident the are solid leave them in. The same way I was taught To render/ screed, by screed I mean sand and cement screed, not slc:thumbsup:

Somerset
That looks nice there Phil

What you say about mixing ratios to stiffness makes perfect sense, but again I've said this a number of times, I trusted the manufacturer to give me sound technical advice on this. That is probably my biggest mistake in this instance. Had we had this conversation before I would have bought extra bags and probably battened it out as Phil did his, rather than stiffen up the mix.

I have tried following these "manufacturers recommendations" - now I make my own mind up (lol). It reminds me of my wife cooking - she never uses scales to weigh, or a measuring spoon to measure - she pours and when the consistency is right, she bakes. And it tastes good after!

H

hillhead

When i'm leveling i'm working it about my helper is mixing away and this system works well and takes no time to get floor set.
I remember doing a big house 5 years or so ago when there was 170m2 to be leveled,
we were busy in the bathrooms and the joiner on site told the customer that he would level the floors for me.
This was a big job so i let him at it as the customer and him were friends.
Wheelbarrow loads of leveler is all i seen for most of a day.
Two days later i was lifting at least 40% of it with the same wheelbarrow, blowing in different areas, i think they skimped on primer or something.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hugo, if you look at my pics, I know they are not very clear. The problem I had on this job was the floor fell away from the exterior of the conservatory by 30mm. AS I was using 1m x 500mm tiles, I knew I had to get it flat. By taking the highest point and setting my levels to that, (much the same as the screw method) but if you look closely, you will see my runners go around the perimeters too. That way if you fill each bay one at a time, the slc is contained to that bay untill it is full. As you did, pull off excess slc with your edge, into next bay, and so on. I hope this makes sense:thumbsup:

I know it sounds strange in type, but it really does work. Each to their own:lol:

C

cornish_crofter

Thank you all very much for your inputs. Loads for me to think of. Phil, you were obviously taught very well, and I can see why you would have used sand/cement ridges in that job when the floor ran out by 30mm! Battons wouldn't have achieved very much as the SLC would have just run out from underneath.

As my floor doesn't run out that much I suspect I will probably go down the batten route. I will have to channel into the existing SLC to sit them horizontal in some areas, but this will help be get a near flat and near level floor - a process I need to concentrate on.

I think it's fair that you should all know that Weber have been absolutely brilliant. They have free issued a number of bags of SLC to me to correct the problem, and have gone further than that. I feel a bit guilty for the choice of title now.

A huge amount of effort on on their part and that of CTD in Plymouth, who I bought the stuff from has helped me considerably. Very often the metal of a manufacturer shows in how they tackle a problem.

Weber have demonstrated how they tackle issues around issues surrounding product or product support. They are the only tile adhesive company that I have had first hand experience with in this respect. Whilst we expect others may respond well in certain curcumstances, we as a forum now know that Weber well.

I would highly recommend Weber as a company that stands by their product. I look forward to using more of their products in the future.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Hi Crofter. I am always being told that to be suitable to receive tiles a substrate should be SR1 in terms of surface regularity. BS8204 Part1 table 4 lays this out in figures. SR1 means that if you lay a 2m straight edge on the floor under its own weight there should be no more than 3mm deviation from the underside of the edge. If you have a 2m level put it on the floor and try and slide a £1 coin underneath it. The £1 is 3.15mm thick - I would not argue over 0.15mm so that will give you a good guide. It sounds to me like you are beating yourself up for no reason. Fill in the unfilled area and if you do find the £1 coin slides underneath the edge you can either re-level the lot if it is really bad using a 3mm depth of leveller or you could re-level localised areas

Reply to I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Sometimes work has been hard, sometimes frustrating, stressful etc. But i can't remember the...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
I collected this load directly from weber distribution today in ballyclare about an hours drive...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.