Discuss I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

hugo,it will be easier to lay a thinner coat 2nd attempt on a deep fill

so although it looks crap just now you may find its much easier next time,estimate your materials is my advice to your customers so you do not get caught out

I've just read your thread.

Reflecting on my last one, I will probably go for the thin 2nd coat. I had spent so much time getting those screws level as well. Obviously the 2nd coat will have to start again from the far end and work back. This means the job will take twice as long before I've even laid a tile.

It's my own house - not a customer, so it's not as if I've lost money on the materials so to speak.

My only concern about a thin 2nd coat all over is that the far end of the floor is pretty good on the whole, apart from that 3mm variation over 6 ft. I don't want to screw this up as well.

C

cornish_crofter

I use a 600mm hand held spreader just to move it about...

Some dodgy advise there.

600mm hand held spreader. Do you just agitate it or spead it in the same way you would tile adhesive?

You're not wrong about the quality of advice. So far it's been Tileforums 1, Weber 0.

I have very little faith in Weber now. Two of their employees I have spoken to have contradicted each other. Their coverage is obviously wrong. I worked it out to just over 6 bags so I got 7. The first mix was mixed exactly as stated and was too runny.

I'm going to be having words tomorrow.

Thanks for all your advice, and that's to everyone who's contributed.

It is really disheartening when I can't even get this right. I'm experiencing another major doubt about my abilities I'm afraid and it's not good.

C

cornish_crofter

With the spreader just pour the slc and run it over the top but not in a heavey motion, just to move about but I've never used weber slc.

...and I would not recommend it. Although I will probably have to use it again to sort this problem out. The product is probably OK, it's just Weber's misinformation.

I think from memory it calls for priming if a 2nd application is applied more than 24 hours after the first. I'm planning on doing it tomorrow, so that should be OK. Having said that some SBR on there wouldn't hurt I'm sure.

And Kilty, I think you're right. It's not the first time I've used SLC but I've not used it for a while. The last time I used it was in our kitchen for pretty much the same purpose. The reason I had limited success with that one was because although I wanted to spend more time levelling the floor out the wife just wanted me to get it done. So I didn't go back and do a 2nd application, which I regretted.

Reply to I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Sometimes work has been hard, sometimes frustrating, stressful etc. But i can't remember the...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
I collected this load directly from weber distribution today in ballyclare about an hours drive...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.