Discuss invoice... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
oh rite lol yeh everyones gotta start somewhere i got me business cards and a day off tmoz so gonna go post a few around and mite pop down the tile shop and have a browse

Why not look in the yellow pages and get hooked up with a few local floor screeders. Lots of floor screeds get tiled. You can get into lead swapping.... They screed your floors, you tile their screeds sort of thing.... I don't know many tilers that do this but I know lots of underfloor heating guys ha have this sort of relationship with screeders. And if you come across anhydrite give me a call and I will guide you through

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
is screeding something a tiler must know would you say? yeh i would do any tiling for free atm tbh i just want as much experience as i can get as im looking to go self employed within the next 6 months but i don't wanna end up on rouge traders lol

No a tiler does not necessarily need to know screeding. If you want to learn screeding then it could add to your skill set and make you more attractive to prospective customers but no you don't need to know screeding..... However he/she does need to know screeds and how to deal with the many different varieties there are in the market... Unless you are going to just do walls of course then screeds become irrelevant.... And my advice... Don't do tiling for free.... By all means do it cheap but if you offer to do it for free you come across to a normal punter as desperate and unskilled..... You may be both..I don't know.. But you seem very keen to learn.... But from experience that is not the image you want even with small customers.... Always charge something iMO even if it just your petrol money.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
yeh i suppose your rite... im not brain dead but also havnt had much experience at the actual tiling ive been standing there watching and doing the mixes, grouting etc but not much actual tiling but i feel i could go and confidently price up say a kitchen worktop and do a good job as long as everything goes rite lol

lack of experience does not translate to lack of value or lack of worth. There are plenty of experience tilers and pretty much every other trades who will charge a fortune for shoddy work. When you price that work top then price it for what it's worth and don't devalue your self or your work just because its the first time you've one it. Just make sure that when you do it you do I right and to the best of your ability.

G

Gazzer

oh rite lol yeh everyones gotta start somewhere i got me business cards and a day off tmoz so gonna go post a few around and mite pop down the tile shop and have a browse
Day off, I thought you were not working ?

So you hand cards out and someone by chance says "yeah tile my bathroom tomorrow " Then what you going to do ? Tell them they have to wait until you know what you are doing or finish a course ?

I

Ian

Here you go, my address goes in the bottom left box, everything else is self explanatory.

edezuge4.jpg

M

Mr T

Day off, I thought you were not working ?

So you hand cards out and someone by chance says "yeah tile my bathroom tomorrow " Then what you going to do ? Tell them they have to wait until you know what you are doing or finish a course ?

I know how slim the chance is but what have I got to loose accept business cards and a bit of cartlidge? if someone called me we would discuss what the job was and if it seemed like I couldn't do it I would refer them over to the lad im working with that way im paying him back with a job at the same time lol

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Just been observing some of your posts Mr tiler. I think you should put invoices, advertising etc on the back burner for a bit. Not trying to discourage you at all. But learn to walk before you Leap out of the starting blocks and start sprinting. A bad job will bite you in the backside ten fold. You want to be a tiler? A good one. Then learn learn learn.
I describe us as artists. We're a finishing trade. To do it professionally i don't think you can just go out and start doing it self employed. You also need to learn how to run a business.
These short courses teach you nothing more than the concept.

I think personally id want to know exactly what im doing before i start taking peoples hard earned money.

M

Mr T

i know i don't know all about tiling at this moment in time but im more than confident of doing the smaller jobs... im not lookingto go self employed but a few small jobs would help towards the bills im falling behind and i don't intend on going it alone i will still be working with a professional tiler every day and the odd day doing my own work well that's how it is in my head and weather il even get any jobs until i start payin for serious adverts i doubt it lol

Reply to invoice... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Morning guys and gals My grandma had this hanging in her kitchen for as long as I can remember...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB