Discuss Jane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jane

Hi Im a home owner looking to organise a really big tiling project (well for me its is 50sqm).
Im a single woman and sometimes getting quotes can be like taking your car to the garage... lots of tutting and head shaking and then all the tradesman say different things can and cant be done and say "who told you that?"!!! Its soo confusing

So I hope that doesnt sound rude to all you professionals but I would love to know what Im talking about before I dive in..Im currently very green!!

Im just nervous about getting it wrong and have had some bad advice in the past from tradesmen I found on the net.
So forgive any silly questions!
So just want to do the best I possibly can to make the right decisions and you guys sound decent.

J

jane

Thanks so much. Sorry if this is repeating what I asked before. I have a victorian split level flat on a busy road that sometimes rumbles if a heavy truck goes by. I have two small dogs and a teenager who is noisy. I am looking to find a tiler to lay large white tiles (60 x 60) in the hall up the 16 stairs in the bedroom and in the living room. I think its about 50 sqm. From research on line Im thinking porcelain ( the most hard wearing??)with waterproof grout and preparing a floor with 18mm ply. (net article). My skirtings are all higgledey pigglydey too. I am worried tiles may be very cold so thought I could put underfloor heating in the walkways but a tiler on the phone said this is not possible or practical. Is that right?

Also are tiled stairs likely to chip and crack - are they practical in a family home or is there another way of linking two tiled landing areas? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

U

user123

Thanks so much. Sorry if this is repeating what I asked before. I have a victorian split level flat on a busy road that sometimes rumbles if a heavy truck goes by. I have two small dogs and a teenager who is noisy. I am looking to find a tiler to lay large white tiles (60 x 60) in the hall up the 16 stairs in the bedroom and in the living room. I think its about 50 sqm. From research on line Im thinking porcelain ( the most hard wearing??)with waterproof grout and preparing a floor with 18mm ply. (net article). My skirtings are all higgledey pigglydey too. I am worried tiles may be very cold so thought I could put underfloor heating in the walkways but a tiler on the phone said this is not possible or practical. Is that right?

Also are tiled stairs likely to chip and crack - are they practical in a family home or is there another way of linking two tiled landing areas? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

There will be better people than me coming along soon, but from a practical standpoint I'd stay away form porcellain, they do stain so easily. Tiled stairs, hmm, I am really good at falling down them (without alcohol, I hasten to add, just rushing about), so I'd be worried about tiles, but if you do want them, make sure to choose non-slip ones! As for the rest, over to the good guys ... but do take up Dave's offer of a recommend though, he knows people here better than most. :thumbsup:

Reply to Jane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Evening guys i have a limestone bathroom to try and fix tomorrow,it's for one of my existing...
Replies
Views
Dash J
D
Found this forum while searching for a new tile cutter, and was impressed by the help and...
Replies
Views
"Your posts are farcical. You claim there is no need to tank plasterboard in a shower before...
Replies
Views
TJ Smiler
T
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
J
So I've had my 1200 for a while now and it's done 5-600 cuts, mainly travertine, 610 x 405 x...
Replies
Views
Jelthetiler
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Jane
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.