Discuss Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Rubi, TS40 which I wouldn't mind replacing, TS60 which hasn't seen the light of day for about 2 years and TX700 which has so far coped with everything I've thrown at it. Never tried a Sigma and to be honest I've never even worked with someone who has one but never say never. I always stick up for Rubi when a debate kicks off as that's what I've got but to be honest if I tried a Sigma and liked it the that's what will replace the TS40

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I've used a small 40cm Rubi, think it was a TR? Worked really well to be honest. Also used a TS600 which was hit or miss with porcelain.. And had a couple of goes on a TX900, which felt pretty solid, but i struggled to get a reliable technique to break porcelain. I own a Genesis 600, which has way too much flex in the rails, and is generally pretty poor in comparison to the Rubi, but is still not too bad for the price i guess.. Hope to try a Sigma in the not too distant future.

W

White Room

I had been using Rubi as seemed to be the only one out there at the time then started to here about Sigma while my Rubi's were struggling with some tiles, purchased one and found it a good cutter for porcelain which the TS60 was'nt able to cope with. Then needed a larger cutter and sold the TX 700n on ebay and got a fair price for it which to help pay partly for a 900 sigma which also so much lighter as well.

Will be keeping my Rubi TS40 as it was the first one I bought and used it a few weeks ago on some smaller tiles.

D

Dougs Third Go

until I've tried both I can't make an honest appraisal, the TS range from rubi were crap (apart from the ts 40), the tx range have coped with just about everything, nay, everything, that I've put through them, the TXN range, well, gimmicky, the longer measuring bar just gets in the way. one day I will try a sigma, if they're the equal and better than rubi tx then they'll be an awesome cutter, simple.

D

DHTiling

dave you have used both rubi and sigma what are the advantages /disadvantages of both brands im talking tx700 /900 standard cutters?

Rubi tx700 . great cutter (new2011 MODEL)... it cuts great but does struggle on rough textured G5's .. and the foot on the tx can mark light coloured matt finished tiles.. as there is no protection on the base of the foot to prevent this... the rubber inserts in the guide rail mechanism piece wears and needs replacing over time.

Sigma.. cuts smoothly . so no parts to wear and cause out of sqr cuts.. textured porcs etc , cut first time every time .. the foot on the sigma handles has rubber protection , so no marks on tiles etc and the foot spacing is closer together compared to the tx, so will cut a smaller slither from a full tile than the tx.. and i have cut granite tiles with my sigma.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
7a.gif

Thats it.

Anyway , why would you need strips that thin anyways?

Like to see a test of cutting a curve on a flat bed , I did a small test on my TX1200N a few years ago more as a reply to a guy who was using a grinder than anything else and a sort of tip type of thing. Never actually took it to the extreme to see what could be done , might have a go over the next couple of weeks.
One for the test lab?

Anyways heres my effort on my 1200

[video=youtube;Q-vhPzvvdxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q-vhPzvvdxk[/video]

S

Sigma UK

Anyway , why would you need strips that thin anyways?

Like to see a test of cutting a curve on a flat bed , I did a small test on my TX1200N a few years ago more as a reply to a guy who was using a grinder than anything else and a sort of tip type of thing. Never actually took it to the extreme to see what could be done , might have a go over the next couple of weeks.
One for the test lab?

Anyways heres my effort on my 1200

[video=youtube;Q-vhPzvvdxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q-vhPzvvdxk[/video]

You can do this with a Sigma no problem. You can even get a tighter curve if you needed it. I will do a video also.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
That 50/50 test isn't really much of a test, and yet is the one I always see... What I would like to see, is a cutter taking 10mm off the edge of a full tile. Much more useful. ;)
Diggy, you can put a Rubi wheel into a wooden handle to scribe the curve free hand, rather than trying to scribe and turn the tile on the cutter.. I haven't tried it your way, but it looks more tricky. ;)

Reply to Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, hope you're all busy and well. Quick query: setting a floor with Porcelanosa 660 x 440...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
O
    • Winner
    • Informative
So as a couple of you may be aware, @Simon Dale his daughter Katrina, and myself are on a...
Replies
Views
L
C
Hi All, Im new to the forum, so go easy with me!!! Im after some advice please. I purchased a...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
D
Hi guys My rubi wet saw, when using it for 45 deg cuts, won't make a straight line. Let's say...
Replies
Views
Mark bute
M
F
can some one give me some info, I need a new cutter soon and I know you all bum sigma cutters...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB