UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss mobile phone upgrade time - any ideas? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

andy-p

TF
Arms
The Iphone is the best in the market but i opted for a Nokia Lumia 800 on O2 , its OS is windows , very easy to use but more limited in apps . The reason i opted for this was the build quality and price , gorilla glass screen and polycarbonate back , every phone ive had so far the screen gets scratched no matter what protectors ive used , and it was half the cost of the Iphone on a similar contract , but no doubt the I phone is the king....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
damn it dan, you've dared me now ;0) i proberbly will go for a iphone 4s, just thought there might be a new model out soon so would in be worth hanging on in you opinion? or would the 4s be fine..dont forget contracts are now 2 yrs so i was thinking of this with my actual choice of iphone

hi pete,
i have a few mates who work for carphone warehouse so i'll check on that, thanks for your advice mate ;0)

To be honest mate I've always avoided contracts. I tend to buy mine outright, stick them through the business, claim the VAT back, then in 12 months when the new one comes it, sell it for about £100 less than what I paid for it, write it off through the books, and buy the new one outright and keep the cash I got for my old phone. Means I get some cash out of the business and always get a new phone every 12 months. Which means when I sell my old one, it's only 12 months old so I get a good price for it.

I always get the biggest memory too as they never sell as many of those so they hold their value better than the smaller gig ones which everybody ends up selling so it becomes a bit competitive.

Always keep your boxes, charger, sim pins (a thing you get your simcard out with) and you can sell it "used but as new in box" on ebay and they do generally sell for about £100 less than I bought them for, all day long.

The new iPhone probably will come out ready for the Christmas rush, like they always have done. So perhaps worth waiting but to be honest the 4S is a decent phone I can't think what the 5 would need to have to make it better. Though I will get one to keep the ball rolling. The 4S wouldn't be worth as much if I sold it when the 6 comes out if I didn't get the 5, sort of thing.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Cracked the screens on most of my iPhones too to be honest. No case protects the screen. And a hard plastic case will just break the first time it's dropped.

Get one of these - SPECK CandyShell case BLACK BLUE for Apple iPhone 4 & 4S, new mint | eBay (though you'd probably find one cheaper than that on ebay I just found the first one there with a good picture for you)

They have a rubber lining inside them which means it takes the impact.
Though I have still managed to break mine.

I was showing somebody how good the case is by dropping it from the height of my shoulders. It bounced around and was fine. He fetched his mate and I showed him too. Was fine. Sat in my kitchen and put it on my knee and it fell off, about 40cm, SMASH - broke the bugger. £80 for a new (genuine) screen.

P

Peter

Got an iPhone in February and wondered what I did without it. Can do virtually anything with it through the endless scope for (mainly free) apps. I'm sore on phones but got a full wraparound leather case and screen protector for it which keeps it in good nick. Dropped it a few times and not broken it as of yet.

I think the Android is like buying a non iPod MP3 player, you'll try to justify it but deep down you'll regret not going for the real deal.

In saying that, I probably would never have bought one but when my mate upgraded to a 4S, I offered him £100 for his old iPhone 4 as a joke and to my surprise he sold it to me. :lol:

S

Spud

alan sugar has been raving about the samsung galaxy s3 on twitter and has replaced his balckberry with one I was talking to the lad in car phone warehouse and he mentioned 3 phones which were all android samsung galaxy s3 the htc 1 and the latest sony all running the latest android software and all with quad processors dont know what this means but he said that all apps now released are released to apple and to android i asked about the i phone 4 and he said that it user friendly but not as technically advanced as the latest smart phones available i have an old htc desire hd which is android and i am happy with it

S

Sam Gouche

my mobile is up for renewal so any ideas of whats good and what to avoid
i currently use a sony xperia, all i can say is is rubbish, end of..

is there another iphone due for release soon? what about the current one, the 4s ?

ive heard lots raving about the samsung s3, anybody got one?

cheers

iPhone 5 is due out in Autumn this year so around Oct Nov 2012.
Samsung are good but they have a patent pending court case with Apple which could see all Samsung telecoms products taken off the shelves.

Avoid Blackberry had one a for a couple of years and just like your Xperia it's pants.

The iPhone 4s would be the way forward, great phone all round however if you can hold off for a few more months the new iphone will be released and should supersede the current phones.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to mobile phone upgrade time - any ideas? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

G
Upgrade due next month, now do I stay with Android and Samsung or something else ? 200 minutes...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D
it's that time again... maybe looking at I-phone 4S or Samsung galaxy S3 or the s3 mini...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for some advice.... A returning client has came to me in a bit of a dilemma and...
Replies
Views
lizzardtong
L
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Renewing my contract and don't know which one to go for :mad2:. Have sony xperia at the moment...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.