Discuss Parking for certain jobs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

This is an issue that doesn't raise its head very often where I am but it has on a couple of occasions.

In a nearby town I was asked to refit a new shower cubicle including tiling etc. The only parking within sensible distance was allocated parking outside the house. I was warned that the parking enforcement officer could be quite strict and issue tickets. However the job passed off without a hitch. It may have been something to do with the fact I parked in an unallocated space and it was obvious that I was working there.

Again in the same town, a few months later I had to park on double yellows to load the best part of 4 tonnes of shillet (slate/rubble) from a wall I'd demolished into my trailer. Then deliver 1/2 a meter of concrete into the trench. I contacted the council who understood my concern and the following day the parking enforcement officer came by who simply asked how long I needed to be there, gave me the thumbs up and went on his way.

So it seems that communication is the key here.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Park Gate
In my experience PEO's do not use any comon sense. I have been issued three tickets over the past four years and in only one of these cases was I parked in a place that could be described as illegal, (front wheels were inside a designated painted bus stop).

Van is written up with phone numbers and in two of the three cases there was a sign board outside the property that was within spitting distance of the van.

To be honest in the first instance I think you were lucky!! Even the second indicated luck! When I have contacted councils before now they either a/ show lack of interest or b/ say that notice has to be given and also fee's paid. In either case they say that they will not contact the PEO's.

Numpties all!

C

cornish_crofter

In Richmond where my sister lives there is a temporary permit scheme, which is rigurously enforced. You can either park morning, afternoon or late morning to mid afternoon. She is limited to buying a certain number of permits per year. They have an annual residents permit in their car even thought they have off road parking. That way they canpark on the road if they have people to stay.

Mind you, better that than having the road full of out of town commuters who choose to use it as a free car park.

More recently in Kinston, My father and I were picking up his wife from a charity shop she works in. We were also dropping something off there. I wasn't supposed to park there, but father and his wife were faffing about something rotten.

There were no less than 3 traffic wardens walking around. I was doing my nut. One of them looked at me and smiled - jisticulating that he would give me a few minutes to drag people out etc. The others werent' bothered. Anyone of them could have issued a ticket, none of them did!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

In my case the Highways Authority just contacted the local guy with my name, reg number and location. The following day he came to see me and asked how long I would likely be. We agreed on a timescale and I suggested that I phoned his office if it changed and he agreed. Job done.

If it is clear that there is a tradesman working they tend to cut a bit of slack anyway.

Moving parking control from the Police to the LA was a good move IMO, not that the Police were unreasonable in their approach but the move definitely improved communications. I don't know if it's nationwide or not but Cornwall Council took over this role about a year ago.

Lets face it, no one likes to be hung out to dry for making it difficult for the small man to earn a crust, so it's good PR for them as I actually intend to write to the local paper about it. It's about time they were seen to be thanked for a common sense approach.

One other golden rule. Always send a letter of thanks to those who have helped you. They remember that ;)

T

tfs

Edinburgh is a night mare and apparently is 2nd to London in temrs of Turnover made for parking ticker revenues (not suprised!)

Have a had a few tickets. Hate the way they try to make it look like they do you a favour if you pay within 7 days.

Read up on the rules and you may get away without having to pay the fine. There are all sorts of restrictions on when they can issue tickets and various procedures/protolcol must be adhered to.

Reply to Parking for certain jobs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
We have had a tile tile a bathroom and an ensuite and are not happy with the overall finish of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys Relatively new to this game and hoping for a bit of guidance on pricing. Am quoting...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
hi guys, I would like to find out what's your opinion on wetroom installation. Do you think...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Parking for certain jobs
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.