UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Pigeons (Racing Pigeons) - Got one living under my car in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi all.

Hoping somebody can help me. I have a pigeon staying put under my car outside. It seems to walk around fine but doesn't want to fly off for some reason.

It's got a tag on both legs, I'm assuming its a racing pigeon. Somebody said when they get a bit tired they stop and hide and then take off again when they've cooled down. Not sure if that's true but I took some bird seed and bread out for him. And took water out. He hasn't touched any so I don't know if he's just fussy and has special food or something?

Anybody know what I should do? I'm going to have to use the car at some point but he's taken a likening to mine and the neighbours might not check under their car if we move off and it hides under another and I don't want him to get squished.

U

user123

Awh.... love stuff like that.. :) Get a large strong cardboard box or pet carrier ready, with air holes in, some rabbit straw or grass (or newspaper) and birdseed strewn about. Then get a fluffy towel, the darker the better. If you can get help from a friend try and get him to toddle out from under the car and grab hold of him by putting the towel over his back and wings and pick him up like that. They quite like being held tightly. Put him in the box and close the lid and put him in the cool garage if you have one. Leave him there to calm down and rest for an hour, in the dark, leave him be, the darker it is the calmer he'll feel. He won't need fluids if you don't leave him there longer than an hour, he might just be really jiggered. I doubt very much he'll make much of a fuss either. We had one staying with us for around 5 days before flying off, and he quite took to his box, wandered in an out of it once he knew there was food in there. Check on him after the hour, see what he looks like to you. Often they won't touch water straight out the tap becasue of the chlorine, but if it's been standing for a bit for the chlorine to evaporate they'll take it. And only minute amounts anyhow.

I'm no pigeon keeper, but seem to attract little creatures to look after and follow my instincts, just thinking what I'd like if I was in their position type thing and so far so good, whatever they are they get well and happily go on their way after a bit. Good luck :) Keep Lara away from him though, just in case he is poorly and has some disease, to be on the safe side.

G

Gazzer

Pigeon Pie
ingredients
serves 5 - 6
5 fl oz (150 ml) red wine
2 tab!espoons (30 ml) port
6 juniper berries, crushed
2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetabie oil
4 pigeons
1 oz (25 g) butter
1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetabie oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 rashers streaky bacon, rinds removed, chopped
12 oz (350 g) chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
6 oz (175 g) flat mushrooms, thickly sliced
few sprigs of parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
12 oz (350 g) shortcrust pastry

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Cost a fair few quid though don't they homing pigeons if they're from a good breed. i didn't want to tell my father in law else he'll be up with a big pot and spuds or something lol.

I thought more than anything, some poor pigeon nerd is standing somewhere with his timer going well into days and all of his mates pigeons are probably back in their avaries now.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Nowt wrong with being a pigeon nerd, or called one, if you are one. lol - We're tiling nerds. I'm a bit of a car nerd. And computer nerd maybe. Something we just have to live with if we are. haha

Got my box with holes ready and Laura's getting some straw (ran out, guinea pigs eat it all day the little fatties). So I'll try to catch it but failing that I have my stick and pot and recipe for pigeon pie. lol

If I don't do something he's going to get squished as he keeps sitting by wheels of cars so he can see out of the arch and a lot of people here are too busy to keep checking under their cars. Failing that the foxes we have living 100 yards away from us will smell him and eat him. They tend not to come in our gardens so I'll stick him in a quiet shaded spot with some food and will check on him daily to see how he's getting on.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
try push the car slowly away from it,it soon move out the road of the wheels

I did that and caught it. Stuck it in a box with holes in out the back. give it food and water and left the box open in an area near a couple of trees so it can at least hop onto those if a fox does manage to get through my maze of chairs, bbq, and rockery. :) lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
More bothered about it getting squashed by somebody else to be honest. I feel like sticking a note on it's leg for the owner lol 'give us a bell let me see our pigeon again sometime' :) Been watching the little fella all day now dodging people pulling in. I even left my car there while they cut the grass around it as I didn't want it darting around while the mowers were zooming up and down.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
We found a pigeon which our cat caught and devoured, all that was left was a few feathers and one foot with the tag attached:yikes:
there was also a conversation on the radio today about pigeons and they said you should report it to the owners if you find them as some of them are quite valuable (i guess the ones that get lost less so lol). If you can read the tag you can start here Report a Lost Stray Racing Homing Pigeon

D

DHTiling

We found a pigeon which our cat caught and devoured, all that was left was a few feathers and one foot with the tag attached:yikes:
there was also a conversation on the radio today about pigeons and they said you should report it to the owners if you find them as some of them are quite valuable (i guess the ones that get lost less so lol). If you can read the tag you can start here Report a Lost Stray Racing Homing Pigeon

So Dan should ransom it..:lol:

Listen, i want 1000 quid or i start plucking..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Pigeons (Racing Pigeons) - Got one living under my car in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
We had a wet room installed about 8 months ago. The floor is tiled with large 60x60cm porcelain...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
R
hi there I'm not a tiler but my partner is (24 years in the trade). My partner has recently...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys hoping someone could advise me as to what needs doing on a job i am on. Its a long...
Replies
Views
AKOTiler
A
Think i got a bit of a bargain today, so thought i'd share. Got a customer that wants UFH under...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.