UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Please help my tiler has refused to put my tiles on the wall!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

We all have customers who know best - whether private domestic with access to the internet or tile shops and their in depth experience!, but at the end of the day it's the tile fixers decision to fix the tiles or not. From the pictures on view I haven't seen such an overload of backing material on any mosaic/feature tiles in my time in tiling and I'am sure I'd have a fixing issue with them. I'am sure that the individual sheets are extremely heavy for that thickness marble and to stiffen them up the 2 layers of binding are required. If there had been 2 pieces of fibre mesh which is usually fixed with an epoxy to the back of marble (to strengthen areas of cracks/weakness/veining) then the fixer may not have had concerns.
As in the tile fixers opinion these sheets are not suitable for the purpose purchased and the supplier new the use required, than a refund would be in order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Are they resin backed tiles??

Not sure there is a British standard to cover tiles is there?? If so then most would not meet it cos they are not made in countries that apply british standards. I think from memory resin backed are coming in from China....

P

Perry

Thank you for your reply, but the shop need to admit they are wrong and my tiler is right, it's ok saying get a refund but why should I pay for another's days work, I can not expect a tiler to do it for nothing
I am sure if you press Poclanosa and show them this thread they will refund you your money and ask them to give you a discount on any new tiles ask them to give you a trade discount of about a third off it would pay for the extra day for Dean ( I don't wish to sound rude but if you can pay that for shower tiles sure you can afford to pay someone to do it correct)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Diamond Pool Finishers

i have just seen this ,and DEAN i'am proud of you mate ,this just reinforced my faith in top guys knowing there stuff ,i would have done they exact same thing as you DEAN :thumbsup: and it also highlights that there are a few Walliy's still out there if you read the whole thread all through which i have just done.
here is an artical all tilers should read through,
http://www.infotile.com.au/pdfFile/advicetopic/48201031834.pdf please take a look and educate yourself :thumbsup:
ps in the pool game we will not touch any mosaic that has any backing on now ,we use mosaic that is tacked together with silicone, leaving the back of the tiss to make 100% contact with the addy :rockon2:

T

The D

there is just no room for the adhesive

Attachments

• IMG_0698.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 128

radim

TF
Arms
I will still state that Porcelanosa sell some of the best tiles money will buy but Mike if you want to lift quotes then put the full quote in for the thread it was intended.

The fixer couldnt fix them without having between 3/4mm variation in grout lines.

Quite funny you speak about Prince Charles as he is one of my clients :thumbsup:

Google Knockroon Ayrshire.

did he pay no problem?:lol:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
There is nothing wrong with the tiles as far as I can see......it is the landfill on the back that seems to be at issue :) I was just enjoying reading this thread and I thought it ran to 11 pages......what happened to the other three.....

Last edited:
T

Time's Ran Out

But doddy if the tiles are not suitable for the tiling location ie the main wall of a wet room shower area, and the tiles would not receive an adequate area of adhesive adhesion, then what purpose would the technical support department be!
They may produce a fantastic range of innovative designs, but as some tiles are only suitable for walls, then it also goes that some tiles are not suitable for wetrooms.

T

The D

Hi i really cant understand why the tiler didnt speak to porcelanosa before refusing to lay these tiles i have worked with porcelanosa for the last 15 years and their customer support and technical advise are second to none, surely a quick call would have been a better way before speaking to the customer just my opinion.

I did more than just call them m8. I drove the 20 miles to the showroom on a Saturday afternoon so they could take pictures of the tiles with the adhesive on the back of the sheet and then send the pics to Spain for there opinion. I have also worked with porcelenosa for a long time in fact I tiled most of the original show room in Birmingham so they know me well enough .

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I did more than just call them m8. I drove the 20 miles to the showroom on a Saturday afternoon so they could take pictures of the tiles with the adhesive on the back of the sheet and then send the pics to Spain for there opinion. I have also worked with porcelenosa for a long time in fact I tiled most of the original show room in Birmingham so they know me well enough .

I'm sure that if at some point the tiles had failed once fitted, the customer would be ringing you to sort the problem, and not the supplier! You couldn't do more than you have. The advice you have given her was priceless and it's not cost her a penny for that.

Reply to Please help my tiler has refused to put my tiles on the wall!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Are there any BS standards covering this please I have recently had 3 sides of a shower tiled...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I'm new here and was really hoping for some professional advice. I bought a new...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I had an en-suite tiled in July 2017, we noticed a leak in the hallway in December...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m looking for a bit of help please. My house was a new build 18 months ago and...
Replies
Views
J Sid
J
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.