UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Professional tiling job - take a look at this please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

david-1234

Hi all - I'm David and new to the forum. I joined so that I could get advice with my tiling - thanks for reading this. I had this bathroom done by a plumber who used his tiler, apparently with 20 years' experience.

For months I've been debating with the plumber as to whether his tiler's work is acceptable. The tiler has said that the job isn't perfect because 1. 60x60 tiles are hard to lay flat. 2.The grout is poor quality. 3. The walls were bad (in fact the plumber had them plastered and the tiling is equally bad on the plywood boxing). I supplied the tiler with Mapei Keraflex for the walls and a two pack Mapei (Kerakwik and Latex Plus for the floor. He supplied the grout.

What's the verdict?

Thank you very much - I know it must be a pain people like me posting on a professional forum, but I don't know where else to get some good impartial advice.
David

P1010408.jpg P1010329.jpg P1010356.jpg P1010333.jpg

pencil.png

D

Deleted member 9966

that's got nothing to do with dodgy grout. that's pure incompetence. those tiles were just slung onto the walls. if the walls were not level and straight before tiling, then the "tiler" should have pointed this out to start with before commencing the job.

I'm not a professional tiler, just a DIYer, and if I'd paid a professional to do that job, I'd have his danglies in a vice until he came to put it right at his expense.

C

Colour Republic

I would only accept the walls are to blame if they looked like this prior to tilling

earthquake-safety-retrofit-homes-200X200.jpg

Yes bad walls can make the tiling harder but after just three tiles he should have stopped if the results were poor, the grout has nothing to do with how it looks. Lastly some large format tiles can bow but again these should have been checked before installing and if a problem existed then it should have been brought to your attention.

If this guy has 20 years experience then I shudder to think how many properties he has done this to.

That job isn't even close to being acceptable

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david-1234

Thank you all very much. The tiler has told me that he's been tiling for 20 years and never had a complaint. What can I say. When I first saw the job I checked some leftover tiles and they were fine. I even took them to the shop who checked them over and showed me how to look for an untrue tile.

All I want is an honest job for an honest wage. I've seen DIYers do really good jobs because they try hard and they care. The tiler told me a while back that he had had enough of tiling and was bored with it - and it shows in his work. The saddest thing for me is that this is a high end bathroom - Duravit toilet, Alape basin, Schenider bathroom cabinet - and it's all been ruined by a tiler who didn't care.

C

Colour Republic

Nice sounding bathroom, just about to install a Duravit Phillipe Starck toilet, nearly fell over at the £800 price tag but it is very nice.

Did you see him installing the tiles at all? or did you only see them at the end of each day?

What i'm trying to get at is, did you see him combbing the adhesive of the walls or did he place dollops of adhesive on the back of the tiles before fixing?

Reply to Professional tiling job - take a look at this please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.