UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Should rustic black slate calibrated look like this? Help? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
Sorry to make light of your situation, but I had to laugh at your floor,

Totally unacceptable tiling, even if the tiles were uncalibrated, the thin tiles should have been bedded up to suit the thick ones,
It was no tiler who laid them, and the insurance company hasn't a leg to stand on as they employed him.

Hope you get it sorted, keep us posted

D

doug boardley

these were uncallibrated slate that I laid, so I guess it's your call

37788_1463983632652_1025320376_31347915_6587875_n.jpg

D

doug boardley

these were uncallibrated slate that I laid, so I guess it's your call

37788_1463983632652_1025320376_31347915_6587875_n.jpg

just re read the thread,,are you sure OP that the slate they laid are callibrated?as I assumed they were uncallibrated due to them having more steppes than a russian prairie? I was gonna say that sometimes you need to knapp some faces on riven slate, but if your's is callibrated I'd say it a rip out job and start again.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
At the beggining of a natural stone/slate job I usually sort all the tiles into thickness piles. Start with the thickest tile and work down thicknesses, this way you can get a level floor. The thinner tiles can use a bit more adhesive but you should end up with a level floor.

Looks like the tiler has just thrown them down with a normal bed of adhesive.

Hope you don't mind MSB but i'm just going to quote you as this is exactly what i would have said.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
just re read the thread,,are you sure OP that the slate they laid are callibrated?as I assumed they were uncallibrated due to them having more steppes than a russian prairie? I was gonna say that sometimes you need to knapp some faces on riven slate, but if your's is callibrated I'd say it a rip out job and start again.
doug,they are the same topps 'calibrated;) ' modular slate as i used,terrible tiles,bent, different sizes,thickness,i had to cut down a load just to make them fit,i obviously sorted thick to thin 1st.
Like i said ,terrible tiles,but not that bad to have a floor THAT bad

I've done heaps of insurance work for a reinstatement co. over here. There has been the odd occasion when I haven't been available and they have either got the builder or "some other tiler" in and I have had to go in later and fix up the mess they have left, including the co. boss' own bathroom who wouldnt wait for my availability.You can complain to your insurance and it will be fixed. The reinstatement co. has no choice, fix it or lose the contract with that ins. co. Its a no- brainer. It will however cause a delay unfortunately but you should insist on another tiler imo.I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't their regular tiler.

Reply to Should rustic black slate calibrated look like this? Help? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone! Just want to say first of all that I am not a tiler or anything I’m just in need...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We have had a tile tile a bathroom and an ensuite and are not happy with the overall finish of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m looking for a bit of help please. My house was a new build 18 months ago and...
Replies
Views
J Sid
J
Z
Hi all, am looking for split face gray large slate? tiles like this picture, has anyone seen...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.