UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Should rustic black slate calibrated look like this? Help? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alan M

when the insurance rep calls round. show them one corner and then the other making them walk actross the really bad lip. dont tell them anyting before that and see if they will fall over it. keep them chatting as they walk and bingo.
anyone with even the smallest bit of comon sence caould see that that floor isnt right.

its like he tiled the floor by standing on the tiles instead of on the floor

E

ellington

when the insurance rep calls round. show them one corner and then the other making them walk actross the really bad lip. dont tell them anyting before that and see if they will fall over it. keep them chatting as they walk and bingo.
anyone with even the smallest bit of comon sence caould see that that floor isnt right.

its like he tiled the floor by standing on the tiles instead of on the floor

Builders manager/contracts manager been out. He was really good and agreed that it wasn't acceptable so it's coming up and starting again (with another tiler) and they're going to monitor it. Thanks for everyone's advice. Interestingly, one of them did trip when he came in which was a nice touch! What a helpful bunch everyone has been. Thanks so much.

G

garybadger

Fantastic news, that it's coming up. If the builders manager came out and sprouted the same nonsense as the tiler, I'd have been going right above his head. Delighted for you that one of them tripped as well. That would have been the end of any arguments in their eyes and left them with not a leg to stand on.
Can't believe that people like this actually manage to get work. Scary that these people are managing to pick up work, while some good tilers are struggling just now.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Very true John, but how do we educate the general public?:mad2:

It's a difficult one Phil, unfortunately most of them look at the bottom line. When I do comprehensive quote and present it to some customers and talk it through with them, the first thing they do is look at the back page for the cost. That speaks volumes to me.

B

bugs183

Trouble is most people have become used to 'one stop' shopping, and companies like B&Q, and Topps know this, so they can sell duff products to the majority of people who only find out when the job is done that they've not paid for quality goods. Also we get to the job after they've been shopping so, they are committed to their purchase. Then because everyone complains to their mates about 'the rubbish tiles' they bought they are extra wary when they get other jobs done.
Shame really but i can't see things changing.
Luckily my client base is based around Bridgnorth shropshire and there are several very good tile shops that cover quality stone and ceramics, so i don't get to many headache jobs!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
ive lost count of the amount of jobs ive knocked back where the client has purchased tiles way to heavy for there walls, and have no interest in paying for extra prep..............TALK TO THE TILER FIRST!!!!!!!!!
i did one the other week,and i swear the lady must of been on here,she asked me loads of stuff from tile weights to tiling on plasterboard to tubbed addy to porca tiles to backer boards and the last question was,"and when you seal it with PVA before you start ect ect ect "
i just smiled and said "no no no,PVA is a big no no in tiling"
she just smiled and i could tell i was being tested,she ended up spending more on backer boards has it was skimmed plasterboard,but she was over the moon with the finished artical.
this forum has a lot to answer for:smilewinkgrin:,but also if it wasnt for being on here i would not of known the answer :hurray:

O

One Day

That is the single most appalling job I have ever seen - and I've seen some horrors!

Topps' slate is absolute rubbish now. I used to get a lot through their TAF scheme (finally ended - long overdue) and the Brazilian slate was ok-ish.
The Indian slate they now have is not worth attempting to fix. I refuse all marble and slate now from those shysters!

On a positive note: I'm 99% certain that you can appeal to your insurer and have the job done again.
Any problems just mention "ombudsman" to them!

Pick your own supplier and tiler - even on an insurance job you have that right - no matter what your insurer may claim.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Should rustic black slate calibrated look like this? Help? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone! Just want to say first of all that I am not a tiler or anything I’m just in need...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We have had a tile tile a bathroom and an ensuite and are not happy with the overall finish of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m looking for a bit of help please. My house was a new build 18 months ago and...
Replies
Views
J Sid
J
Z
Hi all, am looking for split face gray large slate? tiles like this picture, has anyone seen...
Replies
Views
Italy
I

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.