UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Some people are having a laugh with their pricing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

No not in jest at all, i'm not sure you read it right? Nick's post suggest that the people above just sit in an office counting their money and don't do anything for it but to squezee the ground floor workers. As far as I know Lynn isn't on the tools but works bloody hard for her money. But sadly sometimes that isn't seen and people that don't appreciate that role think it's an easy life without worry, responsibility or stress

I am really trying to keep this as a general discussion about pricing, without any malice.
It is a fact that that there are low commercial labour prices out there, but that does not always mean that the money is not there.
When work is sub contracted out, many people will pass on the work for a lower price than they are getting - FACT
Many companies have a price in already... any price they pay comes off their bottom line. Many account managers for flooring companies etc have a profit related bonus scheme tied into their salary package... At the end of the day it is all about profit !! If they can get a tiler to do a decent job at a lower price, then 9 times out of 10 they will opt for lower price.
My original post was with reference to an arms member who advertised for tilers paying £11 a metre for 600 x 600 ( prob porcelain ) wall tiling onto render... this price was an absolute insult !!
I doubt very much that if he was actually doing the job as well for that price that he would be getting £11 per metre.. got to be more !! If that is the case then he was offering job out to other tilers who are hard up for work and hoping to make a killing on their labour.
i really do not see wjhat your problem is ?
Are you saying that you would happily take on the job for that price ?
If yes, then fine.
If no then why not ?

D

Deleted member 9966

My original post was with reference to an arms member who advertised for tilers paying £11 a metre for 600 x 600 ( prob porcelain ) wall tiling onto render... this price was an absolute insult !!
I doubt very much that if he was actually doing the job as well for that price that he would be getting £11 per metre.. got to be more !! If that is the case then he was offering job out to other tilers who are hard up for work and hoping to make a killing on their labour.
i really do not see wjhat your problem is ?
Are you saying that you would happily take on the job for that price ?
If yes, then fine.
If no then why not ?

Nick, I think there has been a wide range of answers to your questions. Some guys would take the work at that price and others wouldn't. Colour Republic summed it up quite nicely saying he would pay top dollar to a guy he knows is the best at what he does, but would pay somebody less who didn't have the same high quality skills.

And again, those who need to make ends meet and keep a roof over their heads will take low priced work. It beats sitting in watching Homes Under the Hammer followed by Filthy Rotten Scoundrels, Cash in the Attic, and The Jeremy Kyle Show.

So what else do you need to know? Would like to run a poll as to how many people would take a low priced job and how many wouldn't?

T

The D

People make money by subbing the extra work out if you can’t live with that FACT then you are in the wrong industry. If you do not want people to make a profit off your work then you need to be the man the contract is given to directly. If a good tiler is on that job they can still make £150.00 to £200.00 a day at £11.00 per m2 if you can’t live on that then do not take the job on, how hard is that to understand? I am pretty sure the arms member that posted the job was not trying to insult you or any one else. To be absolutely honest I have had to do work for that sort of price more than once in my life and I am more than a bit insulted at being called yellow bellied and people saying I can have the crumbs from the table.

As I have said it is all well and good lording it over people but when you are the bread winner you do what you have to.

Y

Aww Rob you have a point....me I sit in the office all day....paint me nails, go for coffee with my friends, have my lover round 3 afternoons a week, then go out for dinner with my man......

Hold on.........my nails are in bad shape I got them mashed in some marble last week, grab a coffee in the canteen on site, have a cuddle with the cat, and the man ran of with an Eastern European floozie with big breast implants (which it turned out he paid for out of our joint bank account) but he said she cooked him beef stroganoff....In other news today, if anyone wants to contribute towards my Hungarian cookery lesson course, I will be happy to accept donations.

I need a drinkL

Lynn

What has this got to do with the original post ?
NOTHING !

Y

People make money by subbing the extra work out if you can’t live with that FACT then you are in the wrong industry. If you do not want people to make a profit off your work then you need to be the man the contract is given to directly. If a good tiler is on that job they can still make £150.00 to £200.00 a day at £11.00 per m2 if you can’t live on that then do not take the job on, how hard is that to understand? I am pretty sure the arms member that posted the job was not trying to insult you or any one else. To be absolutely honest I have had to do work for that sort of price more than once in my life and I am more than a bit insulted at being called yellow bellied and people saying I can have the crumbs from the table.
As I have said it is all well and good lording it over people but when you are the bread winner you do what you have to.

I have some good commercial work coming up in new year !! Guess I can count on you for helping out ... how about £10 per metre, you pay your own fuel and digs ?
in fact as you are so happy top condone and justify insultingly low prices, then instead of £10 a metre, then let's say £5 per metre ?
If this silly low pricing continues then we will all be out of a job.
This thread is going nowhere now, pathetic replies.
Will not reply any more.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Some people are having a laugh with their pricing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone I've done several trades across construction, and the thing I struggle most with is...
Replies
Views
M
Hi again all If you were going to quote for a 120m2 garage with 600 x 600 porcelain tiles what...
Replies
Views
hmtiling
H
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
J
Hi, First time posting. Looking for local tiler for the following project. Retail fit out...
Replies
Views
JG Shopfitting
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Some people are having a laugh with their pricing
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.