UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Some people are having a laugh with their pricing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

images

P

Pebbs

You miss my point completely... these guys are worth the money, however in this game you will many a time get squeezed down to lowest price by people who are wanting to make a profit on your hard work without lifting a finger.
How many people do you pay £500 a day ? not many / if any me thinks !
I give up on this one. Was only trying to make a point that this low commercial pricing thing absolutely stinks !! we know that the money is out there, it just goes in peoples back pockets and not in the tilers who, is doing the graft.
My last post on subject, really can't be bothered any more.

Yorkie has made some good points, so dont be getting it out of context and twisting it back on him. I do exactly the same as what he does in situations, you have to make a contract pay, no matter what. Shopfitting is harsh, the only thing that makes it worthwhile a lot of the time is knowing your getting the best rate possible for the work. The pressure is on you as soon as your walk on site, because by that time the contract is normally running behind programme, and the project managers are under the cosh to get it finished. Yorkie, if you can get the best price possible then I shake your hand, I want people to get the best possible rates they can, you work hard for your money you deserve it.

As Yorkie knows, sometimes its best to overprice the contract, because you know the contractor will come back and ask for a reduction, you give them a bit, and everyone is happy. If your working away, it means they havent got anyone local to do the work. Well thats not your problem, they should pay for your lodgings and transport.

Lynn

T

The D

It is all well and good lording it over people saying I will only work for this amount and nothing less as if any one that works for less is some sort of idiot that is to intimidated to ask for more. Try living in the real world this thread started over some one asking if there were any tilers looking for a bit of work and ok the price was not the best in the world but if you do not want or need it you do not have to do it do you. Pebbs I hope you are true to your word and the next time you are asked to drop your price you stick to your guns and tell them to do one.

P

Pebbs

Deano, I do stay true to my word, if some spudhead of a surveyor tells me to my face Lynn your having a laugh with your prices...I ask them point blank what they want the contract price to be. I work on costing sheets for every piece of work, so I can see in an instant what the margins are standing at. Deano 3 months ago I lost a re-furb job for 235 bathrooms, because I really couldnt budge on the price, the lads would have been rioting when they saw the amount of cutting that had to be done for the crap rate the client was proposing. A job that size has to have full time site supervision. So I did the decent thing and walked away, beat myself up for a few days and carried on. Imagine my delight last week, when the phone rang, with someone telling me the competition are being kicked of site today for shoddy workmanship. So now the contract is up again and they want to appoint double quick, but it wont be me they come to, because that would mean they made a mistake.

Lynn

C

Colour Republic

You miss my point completely... these guys are worth the money, however in this game you will many a time get squeezed down to lowest price by people who are wanting to make a profit on your hard work without lifting a finger.
How many people do you pay £500 a day ? not many / if any me thinks !
I give up on this one. Was only trying to make a point that this low commercial pricing thing absolutely stinks !! we know that the money is out there, it just goes in peoples back pockets and not in the tilers who, is doing the graft.
My last post on subject, really can't be bothered any more.

I have paid people £500 a day, not bloody often ! but if they can do something somebody else can't, either down to skill or the investment in tools then i'll pay it as it's worth it.

A point in case. I get ribbed by my guys constantly about 'What do you actually do?' I'm on the tools too and it's where I like to be because I’m a control freak on standards and can't let it go. When I’m on the phone for 3 hours a day they take the **** that I’ve got sod all done. But I also spend friggin countless late night hours ordering, designing, setting up new accounts, sourcing, bringing in more work... I could bore you with the list as it's endless and at the end of the day I don't spend the time I should with my family. The time I spend on here is either a welcome break or researching.

Now one of the guys that has worked with me for the best part of 6 years has always done his own little bits on the side but never seriously, last year he moved to London and set himself up doing what I do. He still works for me now and again but having set up trying to do what I do he now understands and always tells me 'For all those years I'm sorry I never realised'. So for all those people you think are doing **** all I assure you many are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Yorkie has made some good points, so dont be getting it out of context and twisting it back on him. I do exactly the same as what he does in situations, you have to make a contract pay, no matter what. Shopfitting is harsh, the only thing that makes it worthwhile a lot of the time is knowing your getting the best rate possible for the work. The pressure is on you as soon as your walk on site, because by that time the contract is normally running behind programme, and the project managers are under the cosh to get it finished. Yorkie, if you can get the best price possible then I shake your hand, I want people to get the best possible rates they can, you work hard for your money you deserve it.

As Yorkie knows, sometimes its best to overprice the contract, because you know the contractor will come back and ask for a reduction, you give them a bit, and everyone is happy. If your working away, it means they havent got anyone local to do the work. Well thats not your problem, they should pay for your lodgings and transport.

Lynn

Lynn I don't dispute you should get the best rate possible and don't accept a price that doesn't work for you (I even said this in a previous post). You've posted yourself that you've walked away from contracts before that just aren't enough. But do you then go back to tell those that did accept the contract they are mugs? or do you wait till it goes wrong and pick up the pieces for a higher rate whilst also teaching the general contractor a lesson?

You even say you take advantage of the situation because they haven't got anybody local that can pull it off, they are behind schedule so are throwing money at it as they are close to paying penalties. You take the money thank you very much! I agree with that, you have a solution to their problem and you get paid for it, when there are countles poeple that can solve their problem the market rate drops and you get paid accordingly

C

Colour Republic

good for you but we Bothe know that some times we all have to bite the bullet and drop the price a bit to win the work or are you saying you have never don that ?

Who me? I'll take what the market is worth or what the service i'm offering is worth. Sometimes that's lower than what I can do it for and i'd lose money so won't touch it. But that's not to say somebody else isn't more suited and can make the price work.

P

Pebbs

Rob, I would never tell anyone who has accepted a contract for cheapo rates they are mugs, if they think they can make a bit of profit on a job then good luck to them. But how many times have I seen companies go bust when a big contract goes bad. The last year Ive seen plenty, I lost a lot of money in retentions when one of these big 'outfits' went into administration a few months back, the same mob that I had to go down to their offices and camp down till I got a payment from them.

As for waiting for a contract to go wrong and then take it over...no its not my style. I havent got time for the head games that go on in main contractors offices, thinking they can squeeze the subbie a little bit more. I concentrate on getting getting the contracts I really want, but as you know and most of you know its a rat race, if you dont put the hours in your up the river without a paddle.

I need a drink!

Lynn

D

DHTiling

Rob, I would never tell anyone who has accepted a contract for cheapo rates they are mugs, if they think they can make a bit of profit on a job then good luck to them. But how many times have I seen companies go bust when a big contract goes bad. The last year Ive seen plenty, I lost a lot of money in retentions when one of these big 'outfits' went into administration a few months back, the same mob that I had to go down to their offices and camp down till I got a payment from them.

As for waiting for a contract to go wrong and then take it over...no its not my style. I havent got time for the head games that go on in main contractors offices, thinking they can squeeze the subbie a little bit more. I concentrate on getting getting the contracts I really want, but as you know and most of you know its a rat race, if you dont put the hours in your up the river without a paddle.

I need a drink!

Lynn

images

C

Colour Republic

I need a drink!

Lynn

2am in the morning and you are only just thinking about a drink? I thought more of you Lynn. :mad2:

But exactly! "Thank you very much for offering us the contract, sadly on this occassion we're aren't a good match. Next!!!"

What do you do though Lynn? I mean you don't fix tiles so surely you just sit in a cosy office making a few calls now and again, getting pally with contractors and designers who take you out to lunch. Might pop down to site and make sure the boys are all-right and doing what they are supposed to be doing. It's an easy life for easy money right?

D

DHTiling

2am in the morning and you are only just thinking about a drink? I thought more of you Lynn. :mad2:

But exactly! "Thank you very much for offering us the contract, sadly on this occassion we're aren't a good match. Next!!!"

What do you do though Lynn? I mean you don't fix tiles so surely you just sit in a cosy office making a few calls now and again, getting pally with contractors and designers who take you out to lunch. Might pop down to site and make sure the boys are all-right and doing what they are supposed to be doing. It's an easy life for easy money right?

In jest i hope..?.. thought more of you if it wasn't..?

This thread is going off track..IMO.. way off track.. looks like a head hunt..

please keep it to what Nick intended..

C

Colour Republic

In jest i hope..?.. thought more of you if it wasn't..?

This thread is going off track..IMO.. way off track.. looks like a head hunt..

please keep it to what Nick intended..

No not in jest at all, i'm not sure you read it right? Nick's post suggest that the people above just sit in an office counting their money and don't do anything for it but to squezee the ground floor workers. As far as I know Lynn isn't on the tools but works bloody hard for her money. But sadly sometimes that isn't seen and people that don't appreciate that role think it's an easy life without worry, responsibility or stress

P

Pebbs

Aww Rob you have a point....me I sit in the office all day....paint me nails, go for coffee with my friends, have my lover round 3 afternoons a week, then go out for dinner with my man......

Hold on.........my nails are in bad shape I got them mashed in some marble last week, grab a coffee in the canteen on site, have a cuddle with the cat, and the man ran of with an Eastern European floozie with big breast implants (which it turned out he paid for out of our joint bank account) but he said she cooked him beef stroganoff....In other news today, if anyone wants to contribute towards my Hungarian cookery lesson course, I will be happy to accept donations.

I need a drinkL

Lynn

Reply to Some people are having a laugh with their pricing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone I've done several trades across construction, and the thing I struggle most with is...
Replies
Views
M
Hi again all If you were going to quote for a 120m2 garage with 600 x 600 porcelain tiles what...
Replies
Views
hmtiling
H
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
J
Hi, First time posting. Looking for local tiler for the following project. Retail fit out...
Replies
Views
JG Shopfitting
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Some people are having a laugh with their pricing
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.