UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Stupid hours in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paulyoung666

most i have ever done ( not tiling though ) was 6 months of 12 hour days without a day off , 40 hours at normal rate then 32 hours at time and a half and then 12 hours at double time , single time was £10 / hour and that was getting on for 20 years ago , shows how times have changed , my new job is paying £8.50 / hour with no overtime rate , just single time , aint complaining too much though , its better than the dole :yikes:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

ask phil hobson how many hours you spend tiling an aldi supermarket floor ,150 mtrs per day ,screed ,tile & vibrate. friday was like a day off only 600 mtrs of grouting to do .good money but after a few of them you change shape .

This is in reply to the post about power vibro floors. Every penny was earned, no one gave us a thing. Damned hard work, done by damn hard men, respect to them all.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well how hard you work depends on many things how old you are when you started could the work dry up in a mowmenet so make hay while the sun shines .do you only need to pay the bills and go on hoilday once a year and that enough for you .do you have a drive that makes you want more out of life .
all these things make up how hard you work .well i always made hay while the sun shines so do all the tilers i know .to give you a clue of how we worked all work on price on site no less than 12 hours a day if we did not earn a days wages in 5 hours the rest bouns. you could not work with us if you could not keep up . so doing hotels two rooms a day was standard and no courners cut .to give you a clue we would work at a hotel untill 6 pm go and have some dinner then go to a shop fitt work untill 2am then go home sleep then be on site at the hotel at 8am to do it again .and every now and again work 48 hours none stop so its your choice work hard play hard .work easy want less

O

Old Mod

Can imagine it would be very physically demanding working in a team like that.
I've not worked on vibro teams but whilst tiling in Africa back in the mid eighties laying 100's of metres a week of a marble tile integrating 4-5m2 area of pillks Four Square that formed kitchen and bathroom areas when the stud work was put down on top. That was gruelling. Temperatures like u'd not believe, being advised to drink TEN litres of water a day, which we did by midday! And no water cooling to start with, all bottled water stored in the ships containers they were delivered in! Drinking hot water is not recommended in searing heat, tastes like ......... :smiley2: all good experience tho! 90 hour weeks!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
well how hard you work depends on many things how old you are when you started could the work dry up in a mowmenet so make hay while the sun shines .do you only need to pay the bills and go on hoilday once a year and that enough for you .do you have a drive that makes you want more out of life .
all these things make up how hard you work .well i always made hay while the sun shines so do all the tilers i know .to give you a clue of how we worked all work on price on site no less than 12 hours a day if we did not earn a days wages in 5 hours the rest bouns. you could not work with us if you could not keep up . so doing hotels two rooms a day was standard and no courners cut .to give you a clue we would work at a hotel untill 6 pm go and have some dinner then go to a shop fitt work untill 2am then go home sleep then be on site at the hotel at 8am to do it again .and every now and again work 48 hours none stop so its your choice work hard play hard .work easy want less

For them hours, week in weekout ray i would want to retire by the time im 40 ;)
Whats the point in working 18hoirs plus a day in your 20s and still having to work in yours 40s/50s ?
Ive worked since i was 16, grafted, yes, but normal hours not daft hours.
Im 44 , have a good life,im not a millionaire ( not even a thousandsire :) ) but if i was working them hours every week id want to be a millionaire by now

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
For them hours, week in weekout ray i would want to retire by the time im 40 ;)
Whats the point in working 18hoirs plus a day in your 20s and still having to work in yours 40s/50s ?
Ive worked since i was 16, grafted, yes, but normal hours not daft hours.
Im 44 , have a good life,im not a millionaire ( not even a thousandsire :) ) but if i was working them hours every week id want to be a millionaire by now

In fact thinking about it i remember a roofer on a site, worked on his own,work all hours, went on hols loads of times a year , asked him (i would of been 17/18) why he worked all them hours , he said " i be dead by the time im 50 cos of this but i want the good life now "
I thought at the time yeah that sounds good , but thank god i didnt cos if i was dead by the time i was 50 i would miss the best parts of my life

Reply to Stupid hours in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.