UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Stupid hours in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Would you you not like to go back to that type of work phil or is all that stuff behind you? Can imagine it would be very physically demanding working in a team like that.

It was Mark but I had young kids at the time, I still get the odd offer now and then.
But the money would have to be good for me to put myself through that again.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
At the end of the day you work what you need to, if you can afford to knock back jobs with crazy hours then you will. If you want/need the money then you'll grab it with both hands, horses for courses and all that!

Aye true,but if you have to work 18 hours a day week in week out in this day and age(in the building 'wet' trades not ***** trades like leccys or plumbers :) )just to make ends meet,you would have to be living wwwaaaaaayyyyy beyond your means,

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Aye true,but if you have to work 18 hours a day week in week out in this day and age(in the building 'wet' trades not ***** trades like leccys or plumbers :) )just to make ends meet,you would have to be living wwwaaaaaayyyyy beyond your means,

I like the term ***** trades Craig, good on you, wet trades have always been hard you have to be born to them.

Not many people know what hard graft is especially most wives, they make the right noises but don't realise the stress involved in getting work, and trying to keep everyone happy.

You have to live it to understand. Rant over.

O

One Day

I work as much as I need or want. This stage in life I want as much time with my family as possible.
I would rather have more time during the year with them, than work my socks off to pay for a 2 week holiday where I'm too knackered to do anything!
That said though, it still feels good to do the odd "mad" week and 16 hr days.
Stops me going too soft!
Normally I aim to start at 8 and finish for 4pm. And never at weekend.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

For them hours, week in weekout ray i would want to retire by the time im 40 ;)
Whats the point in working 18hoirs plus a day in your 20s and still having to work in yours 40s/50s ?
Ive worked since i was 16, grafted, yes, but normal hours not daft hours.
Im 44 , have a good life,im not a millionaire ( not even a thousandsire :) ) but if i was working them hours every week id want to be a millionaire by now
its not what you earn its what you do with the money you earn that makes the diffrence . heres two converstions i have heard first hand .i wish when i was younger i did the things you did going out having a great time not caring about tomorrow / sitting by his swimming pool in his big country house not a money worry in the world/ next i wish i had worked harder when i was younger not messing it up the wall having a wild time i will be working untill i die /so whats the right answer /well my view is when i get to 70-80 i want to look back and say i wish i had not done that at least i know the out come /rather than say i wish i would have done that/all i can say i loved working hard and all the new challenges it bought self satifaction for me its not about money its saying i did that and taking pride in that. the money is the reward what you do with it is your own choice

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

I like the term ***** trades Craig, good on you, wet trades have always been hard you have to be born to them.

Not many people know what hard graft is especially most wives, they make the right noises but don't realise the stress involved in getting work, and trying to keep everyone happy.

You have to live it to understand. Rant over.
well phill you would have heard this to many times the wife .whats wrong with you always out working never at home when you come home i call the police i think its a buglar the kids dont even now you .same breath by the way bought the kids some new clouthes booked the hoilday heres the bills and the new sofa comming on monday some times you just cant win

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Set off from Salisbury at 6 this morning and worked all day in London. I'm currently latexing a floor in Manchester then need to drive back to London.....then Salisbury then back to Manchester tmrw night. I don't do this all the time but anyone who has been involved with shop fitting will understand how crazy it can be sometimes. Got a lie in on Friday morning which I'm looking forward to!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I hate mondays i like to be done by 2 latest, try too always book in easy jobs for Mondays, had enough of long days.

My best mates dad, a bricky NEVER worked a monday ,he died a happy man at 62, his funeral song ,???????
"I don't like Mondays"
His son, me (he was my 2nd dad) and the man himself would of been very upset if all he did was work all hours god sends and die of cancer

C

charlie1

My best mates dad, a bricky NEVER worked a monday ,he died a happy man at 62, his funeral song ,???????
"I don't like Mondays"
His son, me (he was my 2nd dad) and the man himself would of been very upset if all he did was work all hours god sends and die of cancer

he he sounds like a very wise man who went well before his time. Think the trick to life is find out all the things in life you like doing, then find out if you can get paid money to do them then use the money to do the other ones you can't get paid to do... Hope you follow

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
he he sounds like a very wise man who went well before his time. Think the trick to life is find out all the things in life you like doing, then find out if you can get paid money to do them then use the money to do the other ones you can't get paid to do... Hope you follow

Trust me charlie , i work to live not live to work :) family and good times come 1st ;)

P

Peter

Maddest week I had was when I was 18. Was doing a 2000m shop floor in the day times a the boss offered me nightshift too. Was going on holiday in a fortnight so thought I might as well. Nightshift was on a very good price and was making an absolute fortune after tax for an 18 year old but it was the hardest four days of my life. Needless to say I had a good holiday.

I think the hours were 8-5 then 7-5

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
You sound like someone who is working within their comfort zone Craig, I envy this in a way.

I suppose so mark.i still work hard but not ten hours a day,maybe 6 hours if that, I very rarely work weekends.
I'm on my 2 nd child, 15 years apart(same mum) so I started again really, and I've learnt that work ain't everything and want to spend as much time (apart from a stag do in Portugal this month and Egypt diving in July without them ;) ) with family

F

Freeze

"I don't like Mondays"

Its known as the "Monday club" around my way, I know a lot of blokes from different trades who don't work Mondays, spend most of the day in our local, nearly all of them do a Saturday morning, but I'm sure that's just to get away from their Mrs and get out of doing the shopping etc, different generation

Reply to Stupid hours in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.