UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

• Thread starter project damager
  • Start date
  • Replies 56
  • Views 9K
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss The right to reply... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

Quite an interesting thread, but no doubt for the tiler and very embarrassing one too.

No matter what the tiler quoted for the job, has no bearing on this matter really as he was obviously happy with the agreed amount, and I fully agree with the price reduction regarding materials too.

If I had any work done in my home, and I had a genuine reason for complaint regarding quality, then I wouldn't be inclined to pay full costs without the problem being fixed at no extra charge.

Good luck with it.

G

Gazzer

So the tiler saw the job, he agreed the price. Thats up to him, he must have been happy at that point.
I am glad we have seen the other side of the story.
Yes i see some of the cuts are uneven under the cornice and could or have been rectified.
My main concern is how he got so far out of level in the 1st place? I have to say it was down to the initial setting out or lack of it.
Purely on that i will vote you were right and still are right to retain money.
I hate seeing tilers ripped off and i do feel sorry for the tiler but whether the quote was £400 or £4000 the tiling was out of level.
As for the tiler rushing the job ...FFS how long did it take him? Sounds to me a case of inexperience.
Just my opinion.

J

J4CK THE RIPPER

So the tiler saw the job, he agreed the price. Thats up to him, he must have been happy at that point.
I am glad we have seen the other side of the story.
Yes i see some of the cuts are uneven under the cornice and could or have been rectified.
My main concern is how he got so far out of level in the 1st place? I have to say it was down to the initial setting out or lack of it.
Purely on that i will vote you were right and still are right to retain money.
I hate seeing tilers ripped off and i do feel sorry for the tiler but whether the quote was £400 or £4000 the tiling was out of level.
As for the tiler rushing the job ...FFS how long did it take him? Sounds to me a case of inexperience.
Just my opinion.

Sir ramic when you have a very large room to tile and your starting of on one wall and moving round the room how do you get your grout lines to meet bang on level when the tiles meet on the final wall? I find it very hard exspecially on large rooms. Do you use a laser level?

G

GazTech

Sir ramic when you have a very large room to tile and your starting of on one wall and moving round the room how do you get your grout lines to meet bang on level when the tiles meet on the final wall? I find it very hard exspecially on large rooms. Do you use a laser level?
Use lazer levels or water levels. Any discrepancy lose over doorway or over one last wall....Gaz

J

J4CK THE RIPPER

You dont need a laser level at all but they are handy.
Just use a normal level and draw a line all around the room. If when you get to joing up you are out of level then its only a pencil line you need to rub out and try again. Get into the habit of using a sharp pencil and rotating the level for each line you draw.

Once you have found your datum do you use battons when starting to tile your first row? And when you have finished and start to tile in your very bottom row what do you use to hold them up?

If you know what i mean :stupid:

L

LM Ceramics

project damager

when i saw your name on the post i think i was ready for a slanging match with you as im sure other tilers on here were with the way you treated this tiler but i WAS WRONG there is always to sides to every story and i was a little biased with the tiler and i thought you was just another fussy no it all customer. but having seen the pictures im going to vote keep your money i think there is no way that can be put right i dont know how he got that out of level and aswell with the trim sticking out the cuts to the coving i agree could have been cut closer but that was being a bit picky before i looked at pic 10 i didnt see alot wrong with the tiling ( it took me a while to notcie the trim on the pic) because the lines dont meet up then you can only say a poor tiling job i think that the price that he quoted had nothin to do with it and maybe he just isnt capable some people just cant tile properley and he is one of them lack of experience

S

SnipSnap

If the tiler is not going to repair the problem then you are right to withold some money (I would not like it if that was my bathroom).

My sugestion to anyone that do the work is not to price the job on meterage but either per hour, day or a fixed price. You either gona damage something for trying to finish early or in time, or going to have dispute with the customer about problems such as this.

Price accordingly to what is needed. Most people can do great work if they take the time... and time is money dear customers.

I voted yes.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
ProjectDamager - You've read up a fair bit on the forums and so have a much better idea than most how much a top notch tiling job on your bathroom should cost. Alarm bells should have been ringing when you negotiated a price that was waaay too low.
If you honestly had no idea then I can understand your disappointment in the final result as it is quite poor.

Edited to add: Really feel for the tiler too. Hopefully both of you can learn from this.

Last edited:
D

Daz

This is a real shame!

I feel for the tiler and really feel for you "Project Damager".
I think the initial quote was too low and you may have been led a bit of a merry tale - I used to advise prospective customers that I had recently moved to the area when I was just starting out too!

Inexperience has been the main factor here (on both parties??) and I'm not sure which way to vote, so will abstain for now.

I would have charged a lot more and I think I advised in my original PM that availability was more of an issue than price.

I hope you can resolve matters and end up with a finish that you are happy with.

Good Luck.

J

JIMBOB187

It is quite ironic that this thread is live at the same time as mine (OCD Customer from hell), there are similarities to my situation but I have to state that the setting out problem I would have corrected immediately at my expense had I made it and before payment I would have taken the customer around the project to discuss snagging etc. There is nothing worse than being called back to a job. I hope you get the bathroom you want and I hope the tiler learns from this and hold his hands up, I also hope he holds his head up and if tiling is something he really wants to do then learn, improve and good luck.

S

SnipSnap

It is quite ironic that this thread is live at the same time as mine (OCD Customer from hell), there are similarities to my situation but I have to state that the setting out problem I would have corrected immediately at my expense had I made it and before payment I would have taken the customer around the project to discuss snagging etc. There is nothing worse than being called back to a job. I hope you get the bathroom you want and I hope the tiler learns from this and hold his hands up, I also hope he holds his head up and if tiling is something he really wants to do then learn, improve and good luck.

We are humans and we ALL make mistakes a some point. :yes:
It is a trivial matter compared to what it is going on in some deprived parts of this earth. This is something that can be fixed. :yawn:

IF GOD (if he indeed does exist) cannot let us have a perfect world, we are bound to make mistakes in life. I am sure that the tiler did not want this to happen. I hope this will soon be resolved soon and that the lesson be learned by all concerned. :grouphug: :thumbsup:

P

pjtiler

We are humans and we ALL make mistakes a some point. :yes:
It is a trivial matter compared to what it is going on in some deprived parts of this earth. This is something that can be fixed. :yawn:

IF GOD (if he indeed does exist) cannot let us have a perfect world, we are bound to make mistakes in life. I am sure that the tiler did not want this to happen. I hope this will soon be resolved soon and that the lesson be learned by all concerned. :grouphug: :thumbsup:
aye at the poor punters expense
its obverse the bloke had no idea what the hell he was doing
true we all make the odd mistake now and then but we rectify them at our expense not the clients thats being professional
sorry but the whole lot need taking down and redoing

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
both parties are at fault in there own way here and both have handled it poorly,,firstly the tiler has made a few dodgy cuts which could have been amended however i get the feeling he is needing a bit more experience yet he did recognise it wasnt good enough work so called the client to tell him about the issues,,basically hes taken on a job too big for him just now,,also the customer has added fuel to the fire by marking unacceptable cuts behind the tiler every day after work probably piling pressure on an already nervous guy whos bit off more than he can chew,,both of them firstly the tiler has made the mistake of highlighting the job in hand here and 2ndly the customer has resonded with this so called poll!! a bit more communication from both parties in the private space of the bathroom that was being tiled may have resolved this issue for both,im gonna sit on the fence as i think both parties are at fault in there own way.:thumbsup:

Reply to The right to reply... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.