UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiler makes poor job of splashback, ruined sockets, bad grout, uneven tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
I wouldn't have started that job at dinnertime and expect to do a decent finished job by teatime, why didn't he just chill out, worked till say 5:30pm and then come back at his first available time and finish off? He must have known you'd ring him after you'd seen it.

You said his phone was ringing all day? I can guarantee you some of those would have been call backs to other jobs.

S

snadge

mapei ultra white was the grout he used.. dunno what adhesive

I have had an email from him saying this "Hi Paul,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this monday coming 14th march i am being admitted into hospital for an operation to remove a chipped piece of bone thats pressing on my thumb nerve and also to have a surgical steel plated fitted to my wrist. Unfortunately this means that i am going to be on the sick for a minimum of 8 weeks.
When the plate is removed in 6 weeks time they say i need at least 2 weeks physio before i can return to work,
Will let you know how i am coming along. Sorry this is by message but i dont seem to be able to find your phone number
once again mate i do sincerely appologise for any inconvenience i have caused"

Since then I sent one back saying we were not happy at all with the work and explained the problems, I asked what grout he used etc so I could attempt to replace it and he never had the decency to say he would get or PAY to get a proper tiler in to repair the job - he just sait it was mapei ultra white and that he was on morphine for the pain!!! - she doesnt want him back here either, iam going to shame him on the forum i got him off which was DIYnot

i want to remove the grout and a couple of tiles, what do I do?

thanks

G

GaryS

It also looks like your tiler used the worktop to start a whole tile from as a straight edge and if its not straight and they usualy are a mill or so out then this will also cause problems, remember even a mil or so out on a tile will cause a big problem trying to get everything even. A pro tiler should know this and have maybe explained if he came accross diff sized tiles that he could only split the difference and that grout lines would vary in size.

To be honest it looks like a job that has been rushed and not done to a very high standard though that may not be the case and you prob should at least give the tiler a chance to put it right.

S

snadge

ive give the tiler a chance... hes been back and its worse... he now cant do anything for 3 months cos of his bad hand and hasnt offered to pay to get a tiler in to sort it... he started in the corner which i have read is incorrect... he should have started in the middle... he didnt say anything was uneven and he said walls were fine as he came too look at them first....even if walls were slightly out a good tiler would just fill with more adhesive to keep it flush - I have more photos of his grouting which combined with some of these photos iam going to put up on the forum i got him from...

S

ScottG13

ive give the tiler a chance... hes been back and its worse... he now cant do anything for 3 months cos of his bad hand and hasnt offered to pay to get a tiler in to sort it... he started in the corner which i have read is incorrect... he should have started in the middle... he didnt say anything was uneven and he said walls were fine as he came too look at them first....even if walls were slightly out a good tiler would just fill with more adhesive to keep it flush - I have more photos of his grouting which combined with some of these photos iam going to put up on the forum i got him from...

I did see on another forum about a post was that was removed, it rang a bell and I thought it was you snadge. Judging by other peoples posts on there they would be shocked at the standard of work especially going by the pics you have shown us. Are you any closer to getting this sorted?

C

charlie1

you would need to do more than regrout if you want it done to a proper standard! as Gary said, if the worktop not totaly level between the joins (usually not) then the tiler will urinating against the wind the further up the wall he goes if he has used worktop as baton!

Imo, remove all the tiles (carefully), let them soak in large bucket of water for a few days then get a proper tiler (recomended(and do your homework on him)) to do the job right!

Photo0017.jpg

how it should look, i know its not the same colour but you gt the idea

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiler makes poor job of splashback, ruined sockets, bad grout, uneven tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I was hoping for some advice. I have large white tiles in my kitchen who a friend laid. I was...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I had a very unprofessional tiler who did a lot of errors and left my bathroom...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.