Discuss Tiles falling off 12mm ply.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

I've read through this post and it's a bit of a funny one I'm bound to get sarcastic comments or the mick taken as every post I seem to make it feels a tad awkward perhaps I'm welsh and not in the "circle " but regards to all this shower business we all know wood is no good that's just nuts but all other trades should be educated in the art of wet rooms as plastered don't care I've gone to loads of jobs where they are boarded and plastered !! What I'm I supposed to do refuse it and sit at home plus the company I'm subbing for not their fault we are doing a housing site and they have wet rooms and it's for a big company and I'm sure they are plasterboard skimmed over but what are we suppose to do go to the site office and say that shower might leak they would tell me to get lost.

Mike, when your on site you just have to go ahead & tile even though a lot of the time you know it's not right.
It would be great to have the luxury of walking off one site & straight into the next.
As you say, they would just tell you to do one & get someone else in.
Even though I sub to a company it doesn't fall back on me if things go wrong.
"I told you so", I've used that phrase on more than one occasion.
Now if I'm doing a private job then it's a different matter..

M

Mr Tiler

Mike, when your on site you just have to go ahead & tile even though a lot of the time you know it's not right.
It would be great to have the luxury of walking off one site & straight into the next.
As you say, they would just tell you to do one & get someone else in.
Even though I sub to a company it doesn't fall back on me if things go wrong.
"I told you so", I've used that phrase on more than one occasion. 
Now if I'm doing a private job then it's a different matter..

so do you even bother arguing the fact its not rite or crack on and if it fails they attempt to get you back? or is there some sort of agreement before starting the jobs?

S

Stef

so do you even bother arguing the fact its not rite or crack on and if it fails they attempt to get you back? or is there some sort of agreement before starting the jobs?

The way I look at it is,
I give out the correct advice & if they don't listen then its up to them as the contract is with the company I work for & the client.
I normally get introduced to the client & if I'm not happy I speak to them & tell them how it should be done & that's normally enough.
If your in house bashing then you never meet who's buying the house & you just crack on, if you have a good site agent (there are some around) then they will listen to you but they won't stump up for tanking etc as that will eat into their profit.
One day all house builders will either do wet areas correct or will be made to by the powers that be.
That day will come when I'm not walking this earth..

Q

Qwerty

Fiba tape and adhesive skim to all joints, no tanking, the stickers on the boards and aquapanel website both said it is ok to tile directly onto the boards.....
Don't say it's wrong again pleeease! What's the point in aquapanel if it needs tanking... Gyproc would have been a lot cheaper

Aquapanel is fine to tile to directly but was curious if you had tanked it to make it waterproof or not (aquapanel is only water resistant). Not looking to criticise jonty, just to advise :)

J

jonty1

Aquapanel is fine to tile to directly but was curious if you had tanked it to make it waterproof or not (aquapanel is only water resistant). Not looking to criticise jonty, just to advise :)

Understood, I tiled it yesterday so it's too late now!

The guy who did this first time round also left the spacers in the corners and grouted over them. (Surely this is not good practice as the grout must be very thin at the corners; however I looked on the pack I was using yesterday and it says "can be grouted in"...??)
This combined with the movement of 12mm ply (and the fact that the tray was not bedded on anything and actually moved too) has to be why the whole thing failed and the tiles came off like a pack of cards in the wind.
I was on holiday at the time they did it so missed it all and as they say: "when the cats away...." needless to say I no longer use or recommend the plumber or the tiler!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
What i don't get is why people say plasterboard is crap, if the jobs done right there will be no problem at all.
Its poor prep and crap tradesmen which is the problem most of the time.

I will continue to use plasterboard as i and thousands of others have used around the country(world?)if that makes me a cowboy to 6 or 7 on here ,then well, i can live with that .

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Tiler

What i don't get is why people say plasterboard is crap, if the jobs done right there will be no problem at all.
Its poor prep and crap tradesmen which is the problem most of the time.

I will continue to use plasterboard as i and thousands of others have used around the country(world?)if that makes me a cowboy to 6 or 7 on here ,then well, i can live with that .

do you tank it mate? or tile straight onto? not judging just asking! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I thought all new builds have to be tanked now?

Nope, the site I plaster are boarded,skimmed,tubed addy and tiled, half million quid houses,they have been building them for over 15 years,another 10years work yet.
I asked about tanking the other month(I don't tile them)
Answer
" why,in over 15 years not one call back"
Hard to argue really

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles falling off 12mm ply.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB