Discuss Tiling Bathroom Chipboard Floor Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I had a call on Friday regarding a floor that has just been finished by a tiler........ Customer told me how good he was.... he overboarded the floor with ply and everything. A week later and three tiles have cracked. What would have caused this she asked. I went one to explain about substrate etc. She didn't want to hear anything i was saying. The long and short of this one is the original tiler has no idea that his floor has just failed after a week. She won't get him back to rectify it, even though i said she should.
If you do bad work you will probably never know it as customers won't call you back to rectify it they will just move on to the next person to rectify what you have done.

S

StevieBoy

I think the fact that you've been pulled up by several members regarding your fixing methods, should make you think a bit more about what you're doing. Anyone with an ounce of professionalism or pride in their work wouldn't even dream of fitting tiles in that fashion. Whether it works for you or not is irrelevant, it's wrong and isn't recommended by any manufacturers. Basically what you're saying is you know what's recommended but, you don't give a toss. Why, when there are so many proven methods and products out there, would you choose not to use them? As I said before, find me any literature that recommends fixing tiles to 6mm ply and I'll take it all back.
You didn't answer my question tho did you re fixing 600 x 300's ???

You can make a judgement of me by saying I don't give a toss if you wish, that's upto you, and as you don't even know me - I think that's a tad unfair.

The fact is, I do take pride in my work and I use methods that work for me, and have many satisfied and repeat customers.

The cowpat method as you lot call it works, as demonstrated by my pictures showing full coverage underneath the tile- should you care to take a look, you will see this.

Just because I use different methods to complete my work, and not do it by a text book style like you probably do, does not make it wrong - don't care what you say.

It's like on a similar thread thread you were going on about anthracite floors using only anyfix addy and why would you use anything else when the manufacturers have tested it? blah blah blah.
That's like saying a Mercedes car can only have genuine Mercedes oil in its engine or Ford or whatever lol. It's a money making thing.

You do your job your way, I'll do it mine - and I won't say anymore on this, as obviously it causes confusion to others, which is not fair on people who are only asking a question in the first instance.

S

Spud

@StevieBoy If you have a method you like and are willing to stand by your work if something goes wrong then go for it ,the other tilers here are just trying to give you some advice on how to avoid any potential problems, I can remember when 6mm ply overlay nailed with ring-shanks was a recommended method and I tiled over it many times while working as a subby but it is no longer recommended so I wouldn't do it now as times have moved on

S

StevieBoy

@StevieBoy If you have a method you like and are willing to stand by your work if something goes wrong then go for it ,the other tilers here are just trying to give you some advice on how to avoid any potential problems, I can remember when 6mm ply overlay nailed with ring-shanks was a recommended method and I tiled over it many times while working as a subby but it is no longer recommended so I wouldn't do it now as times have moved on

:mask:

S

Spare Tool

Bit of a thread hijack but starting two bathrooms a week on Monday, popped in to the feferb to see how things were progressing on Friday, the builder has laid 6mil ply on upstairs bathrooms, voiced my concerns but customer adamant he wants to leave it down n tile it...so if he signs a disclaimer would that cover me or as i know it goes against all regs would I still be at fault for fixing on it?

I

Ian

Bit of a thread hijack but starting two bathrooms a week on Monday, popped in to the feferb to see how things were progressing on Friday, the builder has laid 6mil ply on upstairs bathrooms, voiced my concerns but customer adamant he wants to leave it down n tile it...so if he signs a disclaimer would that cover me or as i know it goes against all regs would I still be at fault for fixing on it?
If you fix to it and know it to be wrong, a disclaimer won't make any difference should it ever go to court, it's that simple. Why risk it.

S

StevieBoy

6mm if screwed not nailed every 100mm is fine, just use 2 part Toppfix from Topps, as they are as cheap as chips and you'll be fine.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Bathroom Chipboard Floor Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB