Discuss Travertine-UFH=Decoupler? Aparently NOT.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I still cant beleve theres tilers out there still not using decouplers for jobs it would clearly benifit.

Just went to see a domestic Travertine job. I was the 6th tiler to see job so hed had a lot of info already. Its 50m2 of module travertine layed over the ground floor of a property running through 5 rooms.

It has wet ufh then chipboard and 15mm ply in place. So I recomended laying dural over ply and fixed with keraflex then laying tile onto bed of keraflex using half round flooring trowel and flexible grout, Reconed it take around 6 days start to finish.

But my price was more expensive than others because id priced in decoupler which at £9m2 makes a difference. I explained that due to there being a wet ufh system and laying a natural tile onto wooden sub that the dural would allow lateral movement of sub without stressing tile and grout.:thumbsup: But he said none of the tilers had heard of or mentioned it apart from one of them, the most expensive one had heard of it or knew what it was...

Am I way off or what:mad2: ?

D

Daz

If he's happy to consider it, then send him to this forum and tell him to search on "decoupling membrane". Let him do his own research so that when he realises that the decoupler is a safety feature that will ensure the long life of his tile installation, you will have no issues.

Good luck.

However, I have experienced a number of Dural ci failures recently which have cost me significant financial losses, so I have stopped recommending it on my jobs. This is a personal choice and by no means a recommendation.

Daz

S

Stewart

The failures are noticeable by walking over the tiled floor and it sounds like your walking on broken glass under the tiles with a noticeable crunching.

It's caused by the plastic delaminating from the fleece backing, so prematurely decoupling. If the fleece backing has come away from the adhesive on the substrate, then this is down to incorrect fixing methods.

Dural have a fix for their failures and have developed a newly designs mat, which is on the Market now. Under no circumstances use the old Dural mat. Other companies such as Genesis have pulled their mat with no support for failures as yet that I'm aware of.

S

Stewart

Dave made me aware of this issue and I have been to visit all my customers for the last 12 months where Dural or G mat has been used.

pleased to say they are all ok, but non where over wet ufh.

Is the de-laminating problem isolated to wet ufh jobs or all installs ?

would be interested to find out.

Electric ufh and timber for me Spanish. I was told the problem floors are ment to show within six month. After that you should be ok.

D

Daz

I've had genuine Dural ci mat failures and, yes, Dural are covering the cost of their team to effect a repair. They are not covering the cost for me to:
a) make further site visits to asses the initial problem
b) attend site to ensure a satisfactory fix takes place (customer relations, too)
c) attend site 3 days later to grout all the holes that the Dural team have left
d) make further visits when another part of the floor has failed
e) see b & c above again
f) make even more site visits to sign off the work carried out during the 3rd repair area

and so the chain continues to repeat until the whole floor area has been injected. I've lost countless days, fuel cost, phone calls, materials etc to keep a happy customer due to a manufacturer failure.

One particular customer has spent over £85k on having a hand made kitchen installed so it is not an option for him to have it all taken out, the floor re-done and then kitchen re-installed but it's really affecting my business to keep him a happy customer.

S

Stewart

I've had genuine Dural ci mat failures and, yes, Dural are covering the cost of their team to effect a repair. They are not covering the cost for me to:
b) attend site to ensure a satisfactory fix takes place (customer relations, too)
c) attend site 3 days later to grout all the holes that the Dural team have left
e) see b & c above again
f) make even more site visits to sign off the work carried out during the 3rd repair area

and so the chain continues to repeat until the whole floor area has been injected. I've lost countless days, fuel cost, phone calls, materials etc to keep a happy customer due to a manufacturer failure.

One particular customer has spent over £85k on having a hand made kitchen installed so it is not an option for him to have it all taken out, the floor re-done and then kitchen re-installed but it's really affecting my business to keep him a happy customer.

e) see b & c above again

Same situation for me Daz..... Ongoing discussions with Gerrard!

Reply to Travertine-UFH=Decoupler? Aparently NOT.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Ive been browsing your forums over the years looking for guidance for odd tiling DIY tasks...
Replies
Views
W
I had a job booked to retile 19m of kitchen floor where the house had apperently had a little...
Replies
Views
wayfoward
W
J
I would be grateful for any advice you could give me. I have recently installed 600x450...
Replies
Views
T
Ok the saga begins 2 years ago with a call from a client complaining about a crunching sound...
Replies
Views
Im involved with a large renovation project at the moment and due to other jobs on the go and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Scotland

Thread Information

Title
Travertine-UFH=Decoupler? Aparently NOT..
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.