Discuss Vase in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Freeze

image.jpg image.jpg

If I like the client and they have kept me fed and watered, I always knock something up with the off cuts before I leave, whether it be a vase, money box, paper weight, place mats and coasters, this vase took me about 40 minutes to make.
Always gets a good reaction from the customer.
Originally I made these to show how I do my external corners, and use to leave them with company's that recommend me, these little vase's have won me so much business over the years. (Sorry to lads who have seen this on other forums, don't want to bore you)

View attachment 58053 View attachment 58052

If I like the client and they have kept me fed and watered, I always knock something up with the off cuts before I leave, whether it be a vase, money box, paper weight, place mats and coasters, this vase took me about 40 minutes to make.
Originally I made these to show how I do my external corners, and use to leave them with company's that recommend me, these little vase's have won me so much business over the years. (Sorry to lads who have seen this on other forums, don't want to bore you)

Very nice mate.. I'm sure they would break out the cappachino machine if they knew what you were doing as little extras.
But am well impressed with what you do.

F

Freeze

That is pretty impressive! I've got some off cuts of Trav in the garage that I intend to use to practice different techniques on (when I finally get around to sorting the garage out, so that I can actually move in there....), so any tips you can give for making something useful whilst practicing, would be much appreciated! ;)

The methods not that difficult, cut four pieces of stone exactly the same width and length (the lengths not to important as you can always trim the vase at he end) put internal mitres on both the long sides and the bottom of each piece.
Mix your resins to match the stone, and glue the four pieces together at right angles to make a the body of the vase.
Using this as a template, place on a piece of stone and draw around to give you the size of your base, cut this piece and put an internal miter on every side, mix your resins and stick to the body of the vase.
You now have your vase, all you have to do now is polish up the mitres, chamfer the top etc, the finished result will depend on how good you are with a flex.

image.jpg

Here's a photo of an external corner in one of my bathrooms, if someone can flip the picture, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

The methods not that difficult, cut four pieces of stone exactly the same width and length (the lengths not to important as you can always trim the vase at he end) put internal mitres on both the long sides and the bottom of each piece.
Mix your resins to match the stone, and glue the four pieces together at right angles to make a the body of the vase.
Using this as a template, place on a piece of stone and draw around to give you the size of your base, cut this piece and put an internal miter on every side, mix your resins and stick to the body of the vase.
You now have your vase, all you have to do now is polish up the mitres, chamfer the top etc, the finished result will depend on how good you are with a flex.

View attachment 58054

Here's a photo of an external corner in one of my bathrooms, if someone can flip the picture, much appreciated.

What resins???

S

Stef

View attachment 58053 View attachment 58052

What cutter do you use for the stone?
I don't do a lot of stone, the odd limestone & travertine but would love to get into it a lot more.
Like that vase Darren, never thought about doing anything like that..

F

Freeze

What cutter do you use for the stone?
I don't do a lot of stone, the odd limestone & travertine but would love to get into it a lot more.
Like that vase Darren, never thought about doing anything like that..

I have a few Stef, Montolit Master Brooklyn, De'Walt, Norton clipper but for mitering I use a battered Vitrex, and that's all I use it for, just find I get the best results with that saw.

S

Stef

I have a few Stef, Montolit Master Brooklyn, De'Walt, Norton clipper but for mitering I use a battered Vitrex, and that's all I use it for, just find I get the best results with that saw.

Have you got any other photos of anything you have made out of stone?
Or has anybody else made anything?

Rainer will jump onto this if he sees it, he is an absolute master.

beanz

TF
Berkshire

View attachment 58054

I have the Makita polishing kit from ATS, but I'm a long way from good with it (hence all the off-cuts in the garage lol). I use the Dewalt for stonework, but I've yet to figure out how to get a useable mitre with it!?! Because of the arm, the only way I can see of doing the mitres, is from the back, which just blows the front edge out!?! I guess I've either got to find another cutter for this, or just learn to do it free-hand, with a grinder..

Thanks for the tips Darren ;)

Q

Qwerty

Funny, I've been thinking of doing something similar recently. I've always made little "plaques" out of left over grout for my customers or do them on site to take home for my daughters! A bit of fun, but they love it Customers with young children love making handprint plaques!

Here is one I did recently and fixed to my daughters play house. I painted it in masonry paint as the mapei cement grey grout was a touch drab! I just use a tile spacer or rubi wedge to scribe the letters out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396171814.810036.jpg

I'm often making little people and characters out of left over adhesive too. I've made a few shed doorstops out of left over addy which resembled a hedgehog.

Always make coasters and placemats when on a slate job.
Not a touch on your vases though! Great stuff!

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I do a lot of on-site fabrication, skirting, window cill, shelves, treads and risers, what I would class as small works. A lot of the time we will have slabs for vanity units delivered and we template, cut and polish our selfs, I have loads of photos of different examples of what can be achieved with a flex. It's all on couple of the other forums.

Other forums!?! You're mistaken sir! There ARE no other forums..... :smilewinkgrin:

J

jonnyc

There are a few of us Brits that have been invited by Rainer Mitterbiller (Rainsco) to be part of the Fliesenleger Pro group on Facebook. Now this group of predominantly German pro tilers turn out some jaw dropping work!
I joined and and had a look at some of the work . some real quality but rainer is way better than any of the others as he is on our forum.its not just his tiling/stone fixing abilities it is more the whole package he can offer a client with his drawings /visualisations etcc.
i showed some of the more unusaul stone fixing i do especially with antique reclaimed and found that some liked it and others indifferent probably because i dont fix the correct german way.
rainer has said that they do not have forums like ours in germany because the time served pros have no time for non toimed served people like my self whatever work they put out.
this is why rainer likes tiler forum as there is a mix of all sorts of oddballs that ended up in tiling game

W

White Room

I joined and and had a look at some of the work . some real quality but rainer is way better than any of the others as he is on our forum.its not just his tiling/stone fixing abilities it is more the whole package he can offer a client with his drawings /visualisations etcc.
i showed some of the more unusaul stone fixing i do especially with antique reclaimed and found that some liked it and others indifferent probably because i dont fix the correct german way.
rainer has said that they do not have forums like ours in germany because the time served pros have no time for non toimed served people like my self whatever work they put out.
this is why rainer likes tiler forum as there is a mix of all sorts of oddballs that ended up in tiling game

Don't know if that good or bad:lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Vase in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Okay, so a couple of members have made some vases. Bri's Vase: A Tilers Day Off Ray's Pot: A...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
Who are the bikers on here. My lad (22) had a scooter when at college, then joined army so the...
Replies
Views
O
.....I have a repeat client that has just had a good size kitchen extension built and I am...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB