Discuss What tips have saved you time or money? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Reading through some of the threads lately, and I clocked that now we are really well established, the comfortablity of sharing knowledge is also established.

So back in the day a tiler perhaps wouldn't have shared something that he thought his local competitor (fellow tiler) wouldn't have benefited from to the point of him perhaps one day undercut him on a job with etc

Yet these days we seem a lot more comfortable bettering a local guys skills and whatnot by sharing tips etc

If you could think of a couple of things that you read in the forum that saved you money and / or time, what would it be?

W

WetSaw

Back on topic...

I tried something yesterday that I'd seen someone do, use a metal rule to remove shower profiles that have been siliconed to the wall.
Firstly ensure all the screws have been removed :blush: then slide a Stanley knife ( other craft knives are available) in around the top of the profile. Once you have a bit of space work the steel rule in behind the profile. Then push a screwdriver or old chisel in the top between profile and wall. Using a sawing motion work the steel rule down. When it becomes hard move the chisel/screwdriver down to create leverage on the profile.

It's probably how you do it anyway but it was new to me and worked a treat, no damaged tiles or profile.

T

The D

Over the years of coming on this forum I have read loads of tips that have saved time and money, some old tricks and some new ones, some I had tried before and some I had never herd of. Things like the dog tooth and using ditra to pack out mosaics but the best one for me was when TJ explained to someone how to actually put the 345 method in to practice.

O

Old Mod

Here's an oldie but goodie.
When I was contract tiling and doing large areas of wall tiles,
We would purchase 2mm yarn used on yatchs.
Reason being was that it would not absorb moisture and swell like ordinary string.
Then we would use it as one continuous spacer!
So laying the first course to batons (always done that way then)
Then pin one end of the yarn with the first tile of the next course at one end, then pin the yarn the other end with another tile, and maybe one or two in the middle, depending on length of the wall.
Sometimes they'd be 30,40,50m long (that's a lot of spacers) once pinned in to place, away you go.
Repeat the same every course leaving a little loop each end.
Use periodic vertical lines chalked on the wall to keep the tiles plumb.
Sorted, 60,80, 100m2 walls all done with one spacer.
Next day, piece of baton, and wind all the yarn back in.
No spacers in tiling, (shouldn't be left in anyway) as you retrieved the yarn it also cleaned the joints of excess adhesive, simple but effective.
Just don't let it slip behind the corner of a tile at the ends, otherwise the entire corner courses can be pulled off! Haha
Saved masses of time over using spacers.

T

Time's Ran Out

Over the years of coming on this forum I have read loads of tips that have saved time and money, some old tricks and some new ones, some I had tried before and some I had never herd of. Things like the dog tooth and using ditra to pack out mosaics but the best one for me was when TJ explained to someone how to actually put the 345 method in to practice.

Thank you!
I appreciate that.
Glad to see your still in the land of the living.
I have a Dewalt floor laser now.

H

hmtiling

Here's an oldie but goodie.
When I was contract tiling and doing large areas of wall tiles,
We would purchase 2mm yarn used on yatchs.
Reason being was that it would not absorb moisture and swell like ordinary string.
Then we would use it as one continuous spacer!
So laying the first course to batons (always done that way then)
Then pin one end of the yarn with the first tile of the next course at one end, then pin the yarn the other end with another tile, and maybe one or two in the middle, depending on length of the wall.
Sometimes they'd be 30,40,50m long (that's a lot of spacers) once pinned in to place, away you go.
Repeat the same every course leaving a little loop each end.
Use periodic vertical lines chalked on the wall to keep the tiles plumb.
Sorted, 60,80, 100m2 walls all done with one spacer.
Next day, piece of baton, and wind all the yarn back in.
No spacers in tiling, (shouldn't be left in anyway) as you retrieved the yarn it also cleaned the joints of excess adhesive, simple but effective.
Just don't let it slip behind the corner of a tile at the ends, otherwise the entire corner courses can be pulled off! Haha
Saved masses of time over using spacers.
a guy i work with on occasion uses this method. i'd never seen it before a couple of years ago

I

Italy

I do not know what to say......
from October, I learned many things, the first thing I learned was to raise prices. hahaha
misstiler, introduced me to vinegar for Epoxy. other small things, I have stolen, here and there. I do not remember .....
marc administrator (the Samaritan) ....... I thank you .... if there was no marc, I do not think that I'm still here.
So, for a few months, you have to endure. haha

I

Italy

Thank you Antonio, now everyone will blame me! :p

Antonio, you at the one that has endured,
You are the one that has perservered,
And because of your determination,
you have more than earned your position on the forum.
Thank you for being stubborn! ;)
Because now, we possess some of your knowledge.
yes marc , you're right.
antonio now send invoice.
for all the time spent to read posts...ahahah
your downfall, was my phone number ;)

Reply to What tips have saved you time or money? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I live in southern Spain in a top floor penthouse apartment (direct sun most of day) with...
Replies
Views
O
    • Winner
FIXRADIO are looking for 20 nominations for their Wall and Floor Tiler of the year 2019...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Am I a ****? Bumped into a builder in my local and he sees I do tiling so asks me to...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB