Discuss What tips have saved you time or money? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Never come down the stairs empty handed , there's always summat to take down.

I was going to say that one!

Get 2 identical tape measures and keep one in the room your working in and one where you're cutting.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
This is a good tip but beware some identical tape measures can read slightly different! The bent bits on the end can vary a bit. This drove me mad when it happened to me - my cuts didn't fit until I realised why.

I recommend the ones from Tradetiler - very consistent. I must get through 6 or 7 a year and love the fact they're metric only!
The only problem with my tip is that I go to measure and still can't find a tape because they're both sat by my cutter outside!

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
Never do work for an engineer !!!!
They think they know everything !!!!
And will drive you nuts !!!!
Seriously....if you see one coming towards you hold a sheet of graph paper..RUN !!
I worked for a aircraft engineer he went over everything with a magnifying glass at ome point he pulled me over 1mm discrepancy over a 10tf span I had to stop him and say Mr burgess this isn't a aircraft wing it's tiling and to be fair he did let me do what I do after that

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
when measuring cuts I use a metal rule covered in masking tape and use it as a marking stick. Much more accurate and quicker. I do the same with a wooden folding rule for larger cuts.
Just replace the masking tape when theres too many marks on it.
I've got a bunch of tape measure I've put so many marks on there useless now

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What tips have saved you time or money? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I live in southern Spain in a top floor penthouse apartment (direct sun most of day) with...
Replies
Views
O
    • Winner
FIXRADIO are looking for 20 nominations for their Wall and Floor Tiler of the year 2019...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Am I a ****? Bumped into a builder in my local and he sees I do tiling so asks me to...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB