UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Who remembers the name and makers of the chicken tile. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stephen street

I will slip into this thread the name Mr Bob Howard at this point so if Phil hobson and the said B H are the only people other than myself to recall Chicken tiles, his name will hang around on the internet for quite sometime.Keeping on topic,Bob Howard is alleged to have fixed chicken tiles when he was younger, probably long before he rose to the high office he now holds at wilson and wylie. I also remember Bob as contracts manager at The Tiling Co(TTC) along with the MD Martin Burr,chicken tiles I think had probably been disc'd by this point.(still on topic!)I don't know if Tabby Cranks can remember chicken tiles, but he does appear to have Bob Howard in the right context.
Chicken tiles came in two sizes BM answers only please!?.(sorry I Don't hold with all this common era tosh.Just good old BEFORE METRIC,leads to another story "always quote in yards. That's a 10% pay rise.)
Answers on a post card no later than!

Yes,that's it how it was done BT. (Before Techno)(but, on topic,After chicken tiles.)
Steve the Luddite.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I remember the boxes but they were disco'd even when I was in topps. We had to find the odd box every now and again from other store stock. And back in those days we had to call the stores from A - Z to see if they had stock. I think these days they're on a national database so takes just minutes to check all stores. Pain in the bum when a customers used to come in waving one around.

We'd be like 'look, they've been on since the 60's - just re-do the lot!!!! It's time!!!!' haha

textile vein ,pilkingtons made one and H&R Johnson stoke on trent made one one with a chicken and one with a lamb not to sure who made whitch though,i remember trying to make a bit of extra money as a apprentice doing a foreigner and the customer made me take them off because they wernt all the same way,made sure i always checked for a pattern in every tile after that one

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
textured-vein-chicken-4-inch_55197_1_240.jpg yuk!! Image0241.jpg Image0242.jpg Image0243.jpg Image0244.jpg Image0245.jpg

and some kh1 that ive posed on here before, just for phil........cause i know he loves seeing them.:thumbsup:.

S

stephen street

Well well,
Bit of fun with this one. Did anyone notice that Sir Ramic may have taken a photo of his bathroom in order to detail the said chicken? (but the tiling,what you can see of it,doesn't look to bad!)
The chicken if i remember correctly was on the"4 1/4" and "6" inch tiles of(happy days) Johnsons crystal range. It was mooted many years ago that it had been one of the longest running ranges. (20 years plus) So the guy writing about been two tiles short would have got away with it back then.( no smart asses please. Johnson sold their products claiming that you didn't get shade errors.) Pilks made a vein tile to compete but no chicken,Only got those through the clearing house.
Must deduct some points as my mail bag has no Answers on post cards in it!
The Nibs/lugs, what ever they were called, waste of space.(Think about it.)But the "cisco kids" dream,the first "stacking" tiles.(Universal range) Unfortunately as many found out, the bevelled edge was supposed collapse if the was any problems,the adhesive man'f's demanded a 2mm space.i'll leave you to think about poor sod's who got the bill.Or did a runner.

G

Gazzer

Well well,
Bit of fun with this one. Did anyone notice that Sir Ramic may have taken a photo of his bathroom in order to detail the said chicken? (but the tiling,what you can see of it,doesn't look to bad!)
The chicken if i remember correctly was on the"4 1/4" and "6" inch tiles of(happy days) Johnsons crystal range. It was mooted many years ago that it had been one of the longest running ranges. (20 years plus) So the guy writing about been two tiles short would have got away with it back then.( no smart asses please. Johnson sold their products claiming that you didn't get shade errors.) Pilks made a vein tile to compete but no chicken,Only got those through the clearing house.
Must deduct some points as my mail bag has no Answers on post cards in it!
The Nibs/lugs, what ever they were called, waste of space.(Think about it.)But the "cisco kids" dream,the first "stacking" tiles.(Universal range) Unfortunately as many found out, the bevelled edge was supposed collapse if the was any problems,the adhesive man'f's demanded a 2mm space.i'll leave you to think about poor sod's who got the bill.Or did a runner.

It was Andy Allens photo so maybe his bathroom !

Reply to Who remembers the name and makers of the chicken tile. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

T
Some of you will know I have had an issue with the stone that was supplied by Lapicida. What you...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
U
I hope somebody can offer us some advice. We had an extension built last spring and have been...
Replies
Views
G
Hi, We live in an ex-council semi and some of the original floors were finished with a brown...
Replies
Views
garfield59
G
Hi All Darren here from NE Tiling, I was thinking of running a one off business sales course for...
Replies
Views
R
Hi Guys, Thanks for putting together a great site it has answered many of my technical...
Replies
Views
rhgnag
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Who remembers the name and makers of the chicken tile.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.