Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PJPro

This morning I installed the UFH. It was a bit of a faff, TBH. The kit was a little on the small side so I had to unstick everything and space the wires out wider. I used masking tape for the layout as there didn't seem much of the silver tape. Given the layout issues, I'm glad that I did. Moreover, the masking tape served to pick up the dust as I peeled it off meaning the silver tape tended to stick better. The silver tape is a bit narrow and it's fairly difficult to easily cover the heating wire. So, the UFH took a lot more of the day than I had estimated.

I then reviewed my setting out. Although the tiles are rectangular, the joints would meet up every six tiles long two walls and with every joint on the other two. So I wanted to make sure the floor was not going to cause implications for the walls. I've had to make some compromises, with some tiles being a lot smaller than I would have liked. I just hope that I'm going to be able to cut them OK.

I then started to lay the tiles....a big moment that all turned into a bit of a panic. Getting the measurement right and understanding how much addy to actually knock up was the first issue. Given the size of the tiles, I've settled for half a bag to two measures of water from a plastic jug (of unknown size) seems about right. Unfortunately, when we came to mix it, my trusty drill which I bought when I was about twenty, started billowing smoke. It's a quality drill but just isn't up to the job of mixing half a bag of addy. Fortunately, the plasterers left their mixer on site, so we used that instead...it worked fine. So it looks like I'll need to buy a mixer!

The actual laying wasn't too bad. The UFH wires made it more difficult than it would have been without them...but the all the whole tiles are now down. There are 11 of them. They went down pretty quick (or it seemed it). I've spent some time after the laying wiping off the addy and scraping out the joints and it is clear that the tiles aren't precisly flat (they are level) and the odd wide joint. The latter can only be due to irregular tile size...or that the odd tile is out of square. It's not the prrefect job I would have liked but not too bad for a first attempt.

I'm just waiting for things to harden off a bit before adding the cut tiles. There are 11 of them too. I've decided not to tile all the way under the bath otherwise I'd have 16 to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PJPro

I finished the whole floor the other night.....at 01:30 in the morning. It was dark. I was tired. But I had to get it down to protect the UFH. As a result the finish is not what I was really looking for.

I bough a paddle mixer yesterday and it arrived this morning. I went for the Sparky 1360. It's a German make, so should be good. First impressions are also good. I feels well made. I wanted to go for a Refina (their warehouse is down the road at Poole) but just couldn't stretch the budget that far.

J

jay

you need to take your time and try not to work in the dark remember you will have to look at this floor from now on patience

and as Doug says time for some pics

S

ScottG13

I, like most have been following this thread but its all gone quiet for a while. Guessing PJ has been busy busy

P

PJPro

What do you do for a living PJ?
Just interested...
I am a senior engineering manager for an aerospace company. I have a background in software.

I went back into education at around 27 after doing a number of jobs; metal worker, van driver, motorcycle courier, order picker, skilled labourer, etc. I took a National Diploma, a degree (BSc Hons) and a second degree (MSc). During my education, I worked for nature conversancy groups as an estate worker and for a county council.

After completing my education, I worked for the government as an ecologist / modeller / software programmer before joining the aerospace company for whom I currently work.

Despite my academic background, I've always been good with my hands. I tend to be able to do lots of things well but rarely excel at anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PJPro

The work is progressing well, if slowly. I'm taking my time on the walls. I do have lots of pictures (of the entire job) but haven't had any time to post them. I will try and do something this weekend.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Wow Aerospace?

My freinds son does a similar thing but he had to sign the official secrets act I think.

I'm glad the jobs going well.

Last edited:

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen