Discuss bad quality jerusalem gold honed limestone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

ive just opened a batch of 600x 400 x 12mm jerusalem gold honed limestone. the face looks as though it has been hand honed with a 100 diamond grit.
loads of chips and edges not straight and out of square.
if you flip the tile over the back of the tile is brushed!!!
when i call supplier they tell me they bring this stone in with different finishes on top and bottom so they have more choice of stock available.
i have never seen this before in my life.
what it looks like to me is that brushed finish not accepted so they gave tiles to a stone mason and he applied a very bad honed finish with a flex machine.
wondering whether anyone else come across this before and did they accept the stone as ok.
apparantly i am the only person ever to complain,

J

jonnyc

They would never put a finish to both sides, this would be more processing and thus bump up the cost of the material.. are you sure it isn't just a sawn finish to the backs..or can you see the swirls from polisher.?
dave its def not sawn back of tile .
they are brushed if you know what that means.
here is pics of the front face.
the actual edges are not straight even though out of square.
client bought off internet.
he also bought about 70mts tumbled which is better but still not quare.been able to fix these and open up v joints.

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 118.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 119.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 120.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 52
J

jonnyc

well yes i guess that would solve the fact that stone not honed properly.
sorry the photos dont show how bad honing is at all.
i could also put a grinder down the v joints but to be honest client already had to accept 600x 400 instead of repeat module because wrong stone turned up on tumbled finish and he certainly not going to pay for whole honed area to be finished once laid.
supplier might i guess but what with tiles not being square and not straight as well i think better he just rejects the lot.
actually my photos dont show how tiles are not straight either.
this is really weird. i am used to size variation, and tile thickness plus or minus 2mm doesnt bother me in slightest ( dont have that on this job) but the tile length is not even cut straight. its like the blade is wandering off .
anyway i wont name supplier as he immediately offered to take the lot back when i told him what i thought.but if i didnt have another job to go to to fill in whilst client gets new stone it would be very costly.

J

jonnyc

do you know who supplied the stone??
yes i do know because i have told supplier what i think, and he immediately offered to replace.
dont think i will name him as this could be a one off and he is trying to rectify situation.
we all have problems and dont want to slaughter him if he can kae ammends.
if the next batch comes same finish as first then i will recommend people dont buy from him.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to bad quality jerusalem gold honed limestone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

K
Hey I'm just looking for some advice about where to buy good quality honed and filled...
Replies
Views
S
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
T
Hi guys. Bit of a strange one this. Had a query from someone who has had tilers fitted by a...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
S
hi ive just found this site trawling internet for advice re a tiling job im having done at the...
Replies
Views
F
Hi guys, any tips for me? Ive had to use an orbital sander to remove stains from grout on...
Replies
Views
MARBLE_TONY
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
bad quality jerusalem gold honed limestone
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.