Discuss any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

brian, I've no reason to disbelieve any of what you say, hope things pick up for you but here is an interesting comparison you may be able to relate to. Your on holiday with your wife and your looking for somewhere to eat. Right in front of you there are two restaurants with your favourite kind of food but one difference is... One is very busy and you may need to wait 30 mins and one is dead and can serve you right away... What one do you pick?
I am going to leave this post now charlie 1 as I dont want to insult you

No John as it happens ive been quiet lately, so i could only afford a small bag of chips on my way home after getting off the bus a shame really as i had spent my last few bob to get to look at a job hoping that my top of the range portfolio would impress the customer when i eventually got there,but to cut a long story short they didnt want me waffling on all night showing my portfolio( good job as i dropped it in a big puddle)they wanted smeone who could do the job without all the talk so experiene shone through thank the lord yousee i was abit concerned it being quiet and thought i may need to go on one of theese tiling courses so i would know how to do the job properly and then i would always be busy and never have any more quiet periods

C

charlie1

No John as it happens ive been quiet lately, so i could only afford a small bag of chips on my way home after getting off the bus a shame really as i had spent my last few bob to get to look at a job hoping that my top of the range portfolio would impress the customer when i eventually got there,but to cut a long story short they didnt want me waffling on all night showing my portfolio( good job as i dropped it in a big puddle)they wanted smeone who could do the job without all the talk so experiene shone through thank the lord yousee i was abit concerned it being quiet and thought i may need to go on one of theese tiling courses so i would know how to do the job properly and then i would always be busy and never have any more quiet periods

twice you have had a dig at tiling courses brian, no doubt you have looked at my profile and noted I done a one week course at NETT but I'm not ashamed in any way off that, I'm quite proud of it actually, anyway enough about me, I have nothing to prove to anyone. I notice you put short course tilers down, why is that?? You indeed do a lot of talking on this forum though Brian about your 40 yrs+ tiling experience so if you carry all that blibber blabber with you along with your big fat portfolio then I'm sure you will get your next job... One word of advice though, try not to be too confrontational, it will get you nowhere.

I think every body goes thru a slack period ,I am having one at the moment but I know what I'm capable off,my problem is a lot if chancers in my area and of course the customer wants a cheap job the times I have had a phone call from some one saying that the jobs a mess can you come and put it right .I ask why didn't you come to me in the first place there answer is "thought you be to exspensive".

I think every body goes thru a slack period ,I am having one at the moment but I know what I'm capable off,my problem is a lot if chancers in my area and of course the customer wants a cheap job the times I have had a phone call from some one saying that the jobs a mess can you come and put it right .I ask why didn't you come to me in the first place there answer is "thought you be to exspensive".

I had a similar case at the start of the year, customers not wanting floors overboarded on floor boards or not want matting so that it's a cheaper job... I explain in the long run it will be better with but the upfront cost isn't convincing enough to have problems down the line!

Q

Qwerty

Guys, enough of the confrontation and personal comments. Everybody's personal circumstances are different. Some of us are fortunate to live in affluent areas where work is plentiful and prices are up. Others live in other areas where it is harder to come by work. As for being busy or not......some of us choose to take on bigger more time consuming jobs rather than the smaller (but not necessarily easier all the time) floors and splashbacks. I often have a week or two spare here and there after a full wetroom install where I not only fit everything, but project manage it for months before hand.
This forum is great for voicing opinions on tiling matters, and debating matters but personal attacks aren't nice to receive or others to read.
Have a great weekend all!!! :)

S

sparkle333

this guy that's doing my job told me someone is going around town undercutting all the good tilers prices by a huge margin and doesn't even know how the materials alone will cover the costs, hes curious to know who it is and suspects its someone that's not experienced and said hes waiting to hear how all these jobs will pan out. one job he quoted over 4 1/2 grand for as it was a huge job with very expensive tiles etc, someone came in with about 800, and the customer scoffed him saying he was overcharging, he said the materials would be way over that , so hes wondering what will go on there . after what happened to me I would be very wary if a job was that much cheaper.

im trying to find somewhere to buy small ufh mat , ive got touch control thing, where is best place to get one from that can go on plywood, I only need a small one, at the mo ive got 45 x 45 tiles down and 10 are in the middle of the floor going into the edges then extra back of loo and side of sink etc I don't need heating, 5 tiles to a sq m, I don't want 2 sq m to go under all these tiles and under bath panel, tiles are ceramic and been told heat spreads so would 1 sq m be enough , any idea

Reply to any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Canada Tile Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond