Discuss burst pipes anyone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

update on the pipe situation.

plumber has just been out to fix the leaking stop tap in the house. that was a 5 minute job, done, easy peasy. we then told him about the frozen pipes over Christmas and he suggested he look in the water grids in the pavement. we have 2 outside our house for some reason and we always thought the one directly in front of our property was for our mains water pipe. plumber disagrees. he thinks that one belongs to next door. the other grid is on the bend in the pavement (we're a corner plot) and he had to dredge up loads of muck out of the grid but finally found a stop tap. he thinks that one is ours.

but in both grids, he put his tap turner down the hole which should sink down to the depth of the tap and leave about 20cm at the most, at the top, but in both grids, the tap turner only sank about 20cm into each grid.

safe to say that our mains water pipe is not sunk to 75cm as the regs say it should be :mad2:

M

Mike

as with any complaint you'll have to get in touch with barratt first then if no joy get in touch with nhbc, i bought a new house some years ago, never again. you wouldnt believe the faults it had, one was when i got the gas fire fitted, when the plumber turned the gas on water came out! i also had to have half the house re-pebbledashed. how long you lived there grr? some of the warranties run out after 2 yrs but the mains sound like that would come under the 10 year nhbc cover

D

Deleted member 9966

as with any complaint you'll have to get in touch with barratt first then if no joy get in touch with nhbc, i bought a new house some years ago, never again. you wouldnt believe the faults it had, one was when i got the gas fire fitted, when the plumber turned the gas on water came out! i also had to have half the house re-pebbledashed. how long you lived there grr? some of the warranties run out after 2 yrs but the mains sound like that would come under the 10 year nhbc cover

we've been here nearly 3 years, but the house was built in 2003. we know it was the last house on the estate to be built because friends of ours used to live around the corner when the estate first went up in 2001. our plot was the site compound for the builders. basically where all the site offices and equipment/materials/diggers were kept.

D

doug boardley

our rising main blew off just after the cold snap, luckily it was the wash-house one, and it blew off the stopcock at the bottom end, and luckily still we have a stopcock in the house to isolate it. So I guess that somewhere your main pipe has to rise above the minimum level to supply your house and this is where valves, taps, joints, olives and inserts are located, all potential pressure release valves really!

D

Deleted member 9966

hopefully you'll be still be covered but as you say it may lay with the water board as they've probably adopted the road by now

funnily enough Mike, our road still hasn't been adopted even 10 years after they started building and even considering our house was the last one to be built in 2003. I bet everybody tries to shirk their responsibilities.

Reply to burst pipes anyone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Hey guys just wondered if anyone had drilled into a gas pipe and what happened afterwards Iv...
Replies
Views
M
Hi guys, i layed a floor for a customer the other week all solid. plyed, primed and completed...
Replies
Views
Bit of a long read......but it made me chuckle a lot. Pocket Taser Stun Gun, a great gift...
Replies
Views
Dougs Third Go
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
burst pipes anyone?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.