UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Dewalt D24000 hints / tips and accessories thread in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fulabeer

Any one tried the tyrolit hydrostress TTE250 wet cutter ?

I had a look at one of those before buying the D24000.
Apart from it being more money, i didn't see any advantage it had over the D24000.

Now the same cannot be said of the Montolit tornado.
It looks absolutely brilliant.
Build quality looks excellent. It has several extra features not present of the D24000.
I like the built in laser. The LED angle indicator. The stand looks substantial and has wheels.
Even the water flow can be controlled at the wheel.
The water management doesn't look as good, but that may not be important to some.
The biggest stumbling block is the price. The extra features are not worth hundreds of extra pounds to me.
I can put a laser no the D24000 for £10, and a better water valve for another £5.
Maybe if i was a full time tiler then i might be able to justify the extra money.

At the end of the day.
The D24000 has all the same important features and spare parts are readily available.
The D24000 has the largest support network available, meaning servicing/repairs can be done just about anywhere.
This does count for something, as lost days waiting for spares can cost more than the machine itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fulabeer

Hoping to add a QEP laser tomorrow.
I think i have found a way to attach it without altering/drilling the saw housing.
There is a small plate that holds the water pipe at the front-left of the wheel house.
I'm hoping i can use that screw/plate to hold my lasers bracket.
It will simply be a matter of unscrewing the screw, adding my bracket and re-screwing.
I found a bath "wall bracket" that looks like it will be ideal.
It is already bent 90', but with a small u bend in it.
This will allow a little vibration/movement and make adjusting it easier.
I'm not sure how rust resistant it will be, but if it works i have a few spare brackets that i could get rust proofed.

I will post back tomorrow with pictures...

F

fulabeer

look forward to piccies although I cant see it being much use and a pain to keep accurate.

You might be right, that's why i'm happy i don't have to drill/alter anything.
I did find the laser useful when it was on my QEP 900 bridge saw.
I just checked the alignment at the start of each day, but found it didn't really alter much.
Some cuts require ultimate accuracy, and i always run up to the stationary blade to check/measure.
But straight forward cuts, it is handy to just position the tiles pencil line to the laser and cut.
The most useful thing is when you are doing odd/multi angles/L cuts. The laser shows if you will "meet" a previous cut or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Just a quick one for all the d24000 owners. There are a couple of second hand ones on ebay at the mo that don't have the side and rear trays for the over spray, I thought they were part of the machine not an optional extra? Maybe they have got lost or broken. Anyhow, are they a must have feature of the saw to stop the user/floor getting wet?

They are indeed part of the machine , I know you can buy without the stand but surely not the trays.

There is a 2nd hand one on Ebay too at the moment without stand and trays , i asked if teh trays were included but he reckons he left them on site ! ....yeah like he left them on site while running off site after stealing someones cutter more like.

I

Ian

They are indeed part of the machine , I know you can buy without the stand but surely not the trays.

There is a 2nd hand one on Ebay too at the moment without stand and trays , i asked if teh trays were included but he reckons he left them on site ! ....yeah like he left them on site while running off site after stealing someones cutter more like.

Yeah I've been watching that one!!! There's another turned up today with bits missing. Rings a few alarm bells.

F

fulabeer

Hoping to add a QEP laser tomorrow.
I think i have found a way to attach it without altering/drilling the saw housing.
There is a small plate that holds the water pipe at the front-left of the wheel house.
I'm hoping i can use that screw/plate to hold my lasers bracket.
It will simply be a matter of unscrewing the screw, adding my bracket and re-screwing.
I found a bath "wall bracket" that looks like it will be ideal.
It is already bent 90', but with a small u bend in it.
This will allow a little vibration/movement and make adjusting it easier.
I'm not sure how rust resistant it will be, but if it works i have a few spare brackets that i could get rust proofed.

I will post back tomorrow with pictures...

Well it's on and working! (took about ten minutes in total)

First job was to attach the bracket
Here is the original screw i used.
IMG_0411.jpg

Here is the bracket that is for holding baths to the wall!
IMG_0412.jpg

Bracket fitted
IMG_0417.jpg

QEP laser (from my old QEP Pro 900)
IMG_0422.jpg

Laser fitted and working (no that's not a new type of tile! Just used to show laser line)
IMG_0427.jpg

You can adjust the laser sideways by using the two screws on the bracket.
For skew adjustment (so laser lines up from to back etc), use the small screw on the bottom of lens/laser.

Perfect alignment!!!
IMG_0426.jpg

So that's it. The laser line is actually much thinner than it looks in the picture. (it's about 1mm)
I think the camera phones lens is flaring the light because it is so bright.
The bracket is actually holding the laser very strongly, and everything seems solid.
I'm hoping, it proves quite robust.

I know some think lasers are gimmicks, but they are great for speeding you up.
Just mark the tile, and then line up with the laser and cut....simples :thumbsup:

Reply to Dewalt D24000 hints / tips and accessories thread in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Q
A customer asked me to lay a run of travertine window sill tiles with a half bullnose to match...
Replies
Views
Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
Following on from the discussion in another thread about not fitting ceramic tiles in a shower/...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
R
Hi, i'm looking at buying a proper all singing and dancing tile cutter, hopefully one that will...
Replies
Views
Aston
A
Hi.. Here is my review on the Dewalt D24000 Tile saw i got from Trade tiler. coupled with the...
Replies
Views
I
Guys, I know it's an old chesnut on what's a good tile cutter, I have read most of those...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.