UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wetdec

Every tiler has a way and skill he believes correct so will naturally try to make himself heard...............

Combine the above with a good niggle and you have 275 posts on a controvercial subject at the best of times..........

We now have comments :

Have to admit I am a bit disappointed at the in-house bickering. Just agree to disagree about the matter, we all have our opinions.

Post 44 should of been the turning point.....guidence should of been followed.....tiler dealt with............pleasantries exchanged

My Opinion..........

Tiler

T

Taz8130

I just wondered as spanky did confront the tiler and the builder the day after the ordinal post. The man as a pair. :yes:

You are quite correct that early on in the situation spanky spoke to the contractor regarding his concerns over the method used but despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary he has allowed the situation to continue, on occasions trying to anticipate what the contractor would say - examples from posts:

Without a bathroom (have been for 2 weeks)
Have to persued them that they will have to rip off 35 sqm of tile, then pay for 35 sqm more, re-plasterboard it, and re-tile it.

I can imagine they are not gonna want to do that.

Hence the needing a good reason for not doing it, they are saying the tiles "won't" come off.

I am running out of arguement, I am sure he knows it is wrong.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
I am now obviously a bit stuck, I paid £1000 ish for the Tiles and have paid this contractor to basically rip out the whole room, fit the tiles then fit a bathroom suite & shower cubicle with all ancillary works, it is going to cost him upwards of £3000 to rip it off and start again, perhaps more.

Obviously he is not going to "want" to do this.

I'm stuck, I want to tell them to rip it off, but we are now wondering where we go from here.

If I put myself in the contractors shoes, who I am sure knows it isn't right, what would you say?
On top of that, we have 2 babies under 2 years old and we have had no bathroom for almost 3 weeks now. This is our only bathroom.
What would be your reply to a customer who said this to you:

Those 35 sqm of tile I purchased have been fitted wrongly and may very well fall off and kill my child.

I want you to remove them, replace them and refit them the way it should have been done from the start.

I don't expect to have to pay again for this.......
Surely he should of stood his ground much earlier -would you not agree?
With regards having a pair of b***s - It was not meant as an insult, I was paraphrasing a comment from a third person regarding ones ability and willingness to confront situations we would rather avoid and there lies the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

Yes I can see where you are coming from but look at it from spanys point of view as a customer that is being told by the fixer and the contractor that there is nothing wrong with the job when any idiot can tell from the pics that is not true.
Spanky came on the forum looking for support and advice on the credibility of doting and dabbing. It is understandable that he was hesitant he is not an expert. He was getting good sound advice from the forum members and gaining the ammunition to fire at the fixer and contractor but then he got these comments (Why is it so bad to dot and dab?) and (There is nothing wrong with dabbing the wall tiles so long as its a cement based adhesive. From the photo you posted it looks like there is at least 75% coverage on the tile and that’s good enough.) and (Spanky i can tell you now before you get into a huge wrangle with this tiler, if you end up in court on the issue of dabbing tiles you will without a shadow of doubt loose the case.) and (I have given evidence twice in the past five years on tiling cases. If I were giving evidence in this case i would discredit your Internet forum advice simply by producing some of the replies posted on other subjects.)
It is now wonder he was hesitant but he stuck to his guns and got rid of the fixer and the contractor.
I for one respect the man for standing his ground and I apologies to anybody reading this thread if I come across as bickering but to me it is important that inexperienced fixers understand that this dot and dab method is not an acceptable fixing method and I will stand my ground against anybody who try’s to justify it.

T

The D

i have to cut one of these out tomorrow due to the sparky drilling a 30 mm hole in the wrong place
the slab was dot and dabbed on
so we will see how easely it comes off
i bet it brings most of the concreat block with it
28072008212.jpg
How did it go getting that tile out? Have you got any pics m8?

andy-p

TF
Arms
I do think that there is merit in the method you are talking about but that is not dot and dab. I will concede that if you are achieving eighty percent coverage and you are within the adhesive manufacturers recommended bed depth and the weight limits for the sub-straight then it doesn’t really mater whether you apply the adhesive with a notched trowel or a gauging trowel. If you will concede that dot and dab is not an acceptable method of fixing tiles of any kind.

You obviously know your stuff and I have a lot of respect for tilers who do a good job but I have no respect for people who try to defend a job that is clearly sub-standard.
dean , there is a difference between dot dabbing and gauging the back of the tile, you dont necessary have to use a notched trowel to achieve the correct bed of adhesive...

O

Olz

ill take some next week if i think on

Sound mate, Bit sad but I take an interest in stuff like that, amazing how many people walk past a building like that everyday without even considering the skill and effort that went into the finish, there's nothing there one day, big wooden fence boards around them the next and then hey presto boards come down and there's the finished job. The boards should be transparent to make people appreciate the skill more.

R

Rab78

Travertine is new to me and i can see just how much contribution this topic will be when it comes to fixing them. Personally i'd comb the walls and the backs of the travertine (i'd condiser cleaning the backs from dust too), to allow for build out, use a flexible poweder adhesive suitable for natural stone. Twice the amount of materials required, but thats natural stone for you. If the gyppy cant handle the weight, then I guess lining the walls with 9mm ply, bond it. Then line the ply with 9mm gyppy, bond it. Those are my instincts but maybe a step too much with the ply. Would the gyppy be stronger if it were coated again with bonding agent I wonder, is there methods to strengthen the load beared by the gyppy? Also if you bond the backs of the trav, will it help for any reason..?

Expensiveness is due to products used and not for profit gained.

Prepartion is everything, safe results are the products of preparation.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Travertine is new to me and i can see just how much contribution this topic will be when it comes to fixing them. Personally i'd comb the walls and the backs of the travertine (i'd condiser cleaning the backs from dust too), to allow for build out, use a flexible poweder adhesive suitable for natural stone. Twice the amount of materials required, but thats natural stone for you. If the gyppy cant handle the weight, then I guess lining the walls with 9mm ply, bond it. Then line the ply with 9mm gyppy, bond it. Those are my instincts but maybe a step too much with the ply. Would the gyppy be stronger if it were coated again with bonding agent I wonder, is there methods to strengthen the load beared by the gyppy? Also if you bond the backs of the trav, will it help for any reason..?

Expensiveness is due to products used and not for profit gained.

Prepartion is everything, safe results are the products of preparation.
dont bother with all that just fit tile backer board.. :thumbsup:

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all what adhesive would you recommend for dot and dabbing foam cored backer board onto...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.